1st Trimester
Options

Anxiety..can anyone relate?

A little background information: I was diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and panic disorder when I first started nursing school about 8 years ago and I have been on zoloft ever since. When my DH and I started discussing TTC, we consulted my OB and decided to decrease my dose d/t possibility of affecting my unborn baby.Ever since I found out I was pregnant, I have been having increased frequency of panic attacks. Today, I noticed my heart beating faster than usual. Even though I know this is normal in pregnancy, I have been fixating on my heart rate and sending myself into panic mode. I'm having multiple panic attacks daily and having palpitations. Is anyone else experiencing this? Anyone found anything that helps? Usually I have pretty good control over my mind, but I am so out of whack right now :( 
Me: 28, DH: 33
Married 10.12.11
 BFP #1: 5.30.12- Giannna, born 1.27.13
BFP #2: 9.18.14- due 6.1.15 -- natural m/c @ 5w6d 
BFP #3 11.2.14- due 7.16.14 -- mmc, d&c @ 10w1d

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image 

Re: Anxiety..can anyone relate?

• Options
    Not experiencing this. However, I am a therapist. I'd recommend seeing a therapist if you aren't, they can help to teach you some methods for combating anxiety w/o drugs. I like guided imagery, meditation, and progressive muscle relaxation. Anxiety and stress is bad for the baby, the hormones can affect the baby and they can be born more anxious.
  • Options

imageallybabyo24:
    Not experiencing this. However, I am a therapist. I'd recommend seeing a therapist if you aren't, they can help to teach you some methods for combating anxiety w/o drugs. I like guided imagery, meditation, and progressive muscle relaxation. Anxiety and stress is bad for the baby, the hormones can affect the baby and they can be born more anxious.

I have anxiety too. Mine has been better than usual since becoming pregnant. I don't take any meds but I agree to see a therapist!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageallybabyo24:
    Anxiety and stress is bad for the baby, the hormones can affect the baby and they can be born more anxious.

This statement makes me anxious! 

• Options

imageallybabyo24:

This. I was able to control my OCD this way. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I used to suffer from panic attacks due to an unknown cause of chest pains. After numerous tests I finally was diagnosed with neuropathic pain. However due to this time I have become an INCREDIBLY anxious person regarding my health and now my baby's. I read the book Hope and Help for Your Nerves by Dr. Claire Weekes. This book changed the way my brain worked whenever having my symptoms. I used to convince myself of the worst whenever I felt something different in my body. I highly recommend this book! You can get it for about $8 on Amazon. It is an older book but Dr. Weekes was ahead of the times when she wrote it. Good luck to you and trust your body that it knows what it is doing to take care of your baby.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I also had anxiety and panic disorder before my bfp.I believe it was due to hormonal imbalance from all the different birth controls i tried within a short period of time.  I was on zoloft as well until we found out I was pregnant and the ob advised that I be weaned off of it.  It was really hard at first because i would get anxiety about having anxiety....kinda crazy right? I also had heart palpitations very early in pregnancy and even last week and you are absolutely correct those or perfectly normal. Our bodies are producing more blood therefore the heardt is trying to get a rhythm with all the extra blood flow. Ive heard that being low on potassium can also cause heart palpitations, you can try eating a banana n see if that helps you.   Try and stay calm....your body knows exactly what to do by nature so don't worry about every symptom you get. Trust me, there are a ton of symptoms with pregnancy.  I would also recommend acupuncture....it really helped with my anxiety while weaning off the medication.  Best of luck!  
    photo 521774ac-531f-42f9-9325-82efbf569d9f_zps25965887.jpg<photo b8da4dd1-ab31-4567-8e47-1eed1489f7ee_zps7c71559e.jpgbr>

• Options
    I would talk with your doctor about your concerns and definately consider seeing a therapist. My friend is one and even just talking to her in general conversation helps a lot. It really couldn't hurt to talk to someone.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I can totally relate!  That is exactly how I felt with my first pregnancy.  I stayed on Zoloft the entire time (100mg/daily) per my Dr.'s orders, and my son was born perfectly healthy.  I found that the further I got into my pregnancy, the less symptoms of anxiety I felt - I was so excited about the baby, and I felt healthier than I ever have in my life.

Just got a BFP on Tuesday this week for #2 - I'm about 5 weeks along, and I'm going through the same thing again - heart palpitations, general feelings of anxiety, etc. I'm no longer on Zoloft, but I feel confident that most of my problem must be because of horomone imbalances, since this is an exact repeat of my BFP with #1.

I know that for myself, the more I think about the heart palpitations, the more anxious I get. Try to be calm (easier said than done, I know!) and if you need to stay on your meds, do so!  Good luck :)

--AJGoin Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ladies, thanks for all your advice. It's reassuring to know that some of you are having the same feelings of anxiety as I am. I've been feeling quite a bit better the past couple of days, but I am looking into seeing a therapist as I have in the past
    Me: 28, DH: 33
    Married 10.12.11
     BFP #1: 5.30.12- Giannna, born 1.27.13
    BFP #2: 9.18.14- due 6.1.15 -- natural m/c @ 5w6d 
    BFP #3 11.2.14- due 7.16.14 -- mmc, d&c @ 10w1d

Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"