Special Needs
Options

My 14 month old needs a stuffed animal BFF

My son has never been a good sleeper.  I have to cuddle him to sleep every night and each of the three to four times he wakes up during the night.  I have been unsuccessful in getting him attached to a stuffed animal.  He gets frustrated if I place one between us when we cuddle.  Since he started chemo around 8 months old, he has (understandably) been extra clingy.  

I'm just curious at what age your children formed an attachment to a blanket or stuffed animal.  He's my only child so I have no frame of reference. 

Re: My 14 month old needs a stuffed animal BFF

• Options
    I want to say 18 months is when we gave DS his beloved stuffed chicken. I had read an article that said that was a good developmental time for a cuddle buddy. It definitely worked for him, although he did not cling to it immediately. It has lots of interesting soft textures, so he likes to play with it, too.
  • Options

DS was around 18 months too. He still sleeps with that teddy, and he`ll openly admit it. The girls were a little bit younger, and they`ve each got a stuffie they`re attached to.

At your lo`s age, mine were very attached to their blankies, and the each had (still have) special ones. L was inpatient a lot at that age, and he was very much a blankie boy at that time. His bear became his BFF when he was in ICU.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Jon had a lovey he was attached to around 10 months old.  I have pictures of him taking his dog, Big Doggie, and rubbing it on his face or sucking on his ear while we were on vacation when he was 11 months old.  Matthew never really got into the whole lovey thing at all.  Chris started to last year.  His stuffed animal is now being held together by packing tape since I can't take it to sew it.  He carries Kitty everywhere he goes.
  • Options

DS1 (NT, 4yr) is more attached to a receiving blanket (Gerber thermal type looking one) then any stuffed animals (we have a billion stuffed animals here).

DS2 (CP, 2.5yr) is not attached to any stuffed animals either. He prefers burp clothes (Gerber cloth diaper type ones-the thinner ones that you can use for dusting clothes later).

I don't really recall when either of them started getting attached to their "lovey" but it wasn't until probably at least 18mos old for either of them and it could have been closer to 2yr old.

• Options
    My 15 month old DD found an old fleece sleepsack in her drawer (she outgrew it about 6 months ago), and she is in love with it.  She has a stuffed bear that she loves, too.  I would say she just became attached to them in the past month.  I think my older DD was closer to 18 months--I took her to the toy store and let her pick out a stuffed animal.
  • Options
    April-you have private mail. 
  • Options
    My oldest NEVER liked blankets or stuffed animals or any of that.  DS#2, I think somewhere around 9-12 months was when he formed his attachment to his teddy bear (and now it's mostly a stuffed dog he loves).
    Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options
    Both of my kids got attached to their lovies at around 14 months, but the deep love of them (needing them all.the.time) happened closer to 18 months.
  • Options

P has NO attachment to anything.  She did to her paci which we took away a month ago.  Maybe she didn't bond with something else bc she had that?  Either way she doesn't sleep alone.  (argh).

M is 15 1/2 months and she really doesn't either.  She JUST started sleeping through the night and able to put herself to sleep in the crib with a bottle.  Last night she woke up for some reason and after being up for 30 mins I ended up climbing in the crib with her and I was able to get out in 5 mins.  

P has a couple of buildabears but nothing she has to have or even talks about anymore.  She has a curious george in pj's which she loves but still he can be missing for weeks and she doesn't care. 

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Options

imageFloraK8:
    I want to say 18 months is when we gave DS his beloved stuffed chicken. I had read an article that said that was a good developmental time for a cuddle buddy. It definitely worked for him, although he did not cling to it immediately. It has lots of interesting soft textures, so he likes to play with it, too.

A stuffed chicken...how adorable! 

• Options

imagemommyof4boys:
    Jon had a lovey he was attached to around 10 months old.  I have pictures of him taking his dog, Big Doggie, and rubbing it on his face or sucking on his ear while we were on vacation when he was 11 months old.  Matthew never really got into the whole lovey thing at all.  Chris started to last year.  His stuffed animal is now being held together by packing tape since I can't take it to sew it.  He carries Kitty everywhere he goes.

Hehe...packing tape.  I'd like to see a pic of Kitty! 

• Options
    image-auntie-:

I recall DS being a bit older before he bonded with his stuffie- maybe about 18 months.

He's so young, I wonder if giving him something that has your scent might be calming. Maybe a soft nightgown or tee you've worn?

Good to know there is hope for the future!  That is a good suggestion. 

• Options
    imagerealisticdreams:

P has NO attachment to anything.  She did to her paci which we took away a month ago.  Maybe she didn't bond with something else bc she had that?  Either way she doesn't sleep alone.  (argh).

M is 15 1/2 months and she really doesn't either.  She JUST started sleeping through the night and able to put herself to sleep in the crib with a bottle.  Last night she woke up for some reason and after being up for 30 mins I ended up climbing in the crib with her and I was able to get out in 5 mins.  

P has a couple of buildabears but nothing she has to have or even talks about anymore.  She has a curious george in pj's which she loves but still he can be missing for weeks and she doesn't care. 

Hey, that's big news about M.  Oh, the things we do.  I don't think I could fit in my sons crib! 

• Options

imageAgrippaRidesAgain:
    Both of my kids got attached to their lovies at around 14 months, but the deep love of them (needing them all.the.time) happened closer to 18 months.

Ok, so what I'm hearing from all you ladies is to just be patient.  If it is going to happen, it will in the next few months.  I just want it to happen so badly because, when baby #2 comes in 7 months, I don't know how I can handle a newborn with a toddler who is waking up 4 times a night.  Will have to start drinking coffee again I suppose. 

• Options

imageRIngReady:
    April-you have private mail. 

Oh boy!  I hope I can figure out how to check it! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"