1st Trimester
Options

2+ mamas....who had a rough delivery

I switched doctors for this pregnancy, mainly I wasn't comfortable with the other practice.

My first delivery was pretty rough- 4th degree tearing and an episiotomy. I had several follow up visits and even had to have the episiotomy re-done because it was not healing correctly-so fun. All in all it was about 12 weeks before I was all healed.

Sorry to scare any first timers reading this lol...

Anyway, my question is that my new doctor is already mentioning that I might need a c-section. She is worried that my scar tissue will tear easliy and I will have a rough delivery again. I always thought the second baby would be easier but now I am kind of worried. I really don't want a c-section unless it's absolutely necessary and the doctor said we could wait and see but I am just wondering if any of you have been through this? Did you have a rough first delivery and then an easy one or did you have a c-section due to scar tissue? I don't want to be pushed in to a c-section since I am not too familiar with this doctor yet but I will have one if it's best for baby and me.

My other thought is even if the delivery is hard and takes 12 weeks to heal again, would that be easier than a c-section healing with a toddler and a newborn?

Thank you for any advice/insight:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: 2+ mamas....who had a rough delivery

• Options
    I don't have two at home babies yet so I can't answer your question but I too had a ruff delivery and I just wanted you to know I am hoping yours goes a lot easier this time. They really cannot prepare you for what labor and delivery will be like can they? 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Reyka9Reyka9 member
    imageAkorn3:

I switched doctors for this pregnancy, mainly I wasn't comfortable with the other practice.

My first delivery was pretty rough- 4th degree tearing and an episiotomy. I had several follow up visits and even had to have the episiotomy re-done because it was not healing correctly-so fun. All in all it was about 12 weeks before I was all healed.

Anyway, my question is that my new doctor is already mentioning that I might need a c-section. She is worried that my scar tissue will tear easliy and I will have a rough delivery again. I always thought the second baby would be easier but now I am kind of worried. I really don't want a c-section unless it's absolutely necessary and the doctor said we could wait and see but I am just wondering if any of you have been through this? Did you have a rough first delivery and then an easy one or did you have a c-section due to scar tissue? I don't want to be pushed in to a c-section since I am not too familiar with this doctor yet but I will have one if it's best for baby and me.

My other thought is even if the delivery is hard and takes 12 weeks to heal again, would that be easier than a c-section healing with a toddler and a newborn?

I had a natural birth so I can't speak from experience regarding c-sections and healing, but if I had a doctor who was pushing a c-section at this early stage I'd be looking for a new doctor or midwife.  I would get a 2nd opinion at the very least.

I'm really sorry you had such a rough time the first time around. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

The odds are that you will not tear that bad again. Odds are also great that your second vaginal birth will be easier and quicker. Every birth is different and just because you had a rough time the first time it does not mean the second time will be rough as well. There are things you can do to minimize/reduce the risk of tearing- some say perenial massage/counterpressure/pushing in certain positions/not having an epidura so you can feel each push/breathing the baby out/etc... can help.

If you want a c-section, go for it. But I guess I just look at it as you either are 100% guarenteed to have major surgery or a CHANCE that you'll tear again. Personally, I'd try vaginal knowing I might tear, but that it's not for sure. GL!

Loss #1 2008, Loss #2 2010, Loss #3 2011, Loss #4 2012, Loss #5 2012
    Loss #6 2014 Loss #7 (chemical) 2014

~DS Born! 2009~
    ~DD Born! 2013~
    ~DD due! 2015~

• Options

I had a c-section for my first and will have a repeat c-section this time.

If I were in your place, I would play it by ear and see how big baby is measuring and  how I feel when the time comes closer to your delivery date.  If the baby is on the large side, I would opt for the c-section, even though it is surgery, it is better than tearing like that again.

If I felt really good and the baby was measuring on the smaller/average side then I might try a vaginal delivery again, and if during labor it looked like the scar tissue might not hold up, I would agree to or ask for a c-section at that time.

Good luck in whichever route you choose.

BFP 12/19/08- DS born 8/25/09 9lbs2oz via Zavanelli Maneuver
    BFP 8/26/11- Missed miscarriage discovered 10/19/11 at 11w2d, measured at 9 weeks gestation w/ no HB. D&C 10/21/11
    BFP 3/17/12 at 12dpo CP 3/21/12
    BFP 4/23/12 at 10dpo Stick my little one! Beta #1: 83.3 @ 13dpo Beta #2: 197.7 @ 15dpo
    Our little man is getting bigger every day!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    My BFP Chart
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageMrs.DeliaMarieP:

I had a c-section for my first and will have a repeat c-section this time.

If I were in your place, I would play it by ear and see how big baby is measuring and  how I feel when the time comes closer to your delivery date.  If the baby is on the large side, I would opt for the c-section, even though it is surgery, it is better than tearing like that again.

If I felt really good and the baby was measuring on the smaller/average side then I might try a vaginal delivery again, and if during labor it looked like the scar tissue might not hold up, I would agree to or ask for a c-section at that time.

Good luck in whichever route you choose.

I agree with this. 

Marissa Marie 9/27/08
    Caleb Wolfgang 12/6/12
    Baby #3 Due Date: ? TBD at ultrasound on 10/30
  • Options

I had a 3rd degree tear with A. He was in distress so I didn't get to push unassisted very long before they whipped out the vacuum.  I haven't had my first appointment yet but plan to ask my doc what she thinks. My guess is if I can avoid the vacuum or similar this time, then I will similarly avoid a high risk of a severe tear again.

Sounds like recovery may be rough for your either way.  I'd keep talking to your doctor, maybe get another opinion, and just make the best choice you can in terms of what you think will be best for you as you near the end of your prenancy.

image Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I had a 4th degree tear, an episiotomy and a long and hard labor.  I'm using a midwife this time around.  She has seen my scarring and I asked her if I was going to need a section.  She looked at me like I was crazy.  No, I am not going to have a section this go around.
  • Options
    My first wasn't quite as bad as yours but I did have a episiotomy, year and was a vacuum birth.  My second was a tad bigger baby but I only tore slightly and was a great delivery.  I agree with the pp who said to find another OB .  I mean if it isn't stretching they could just do another episiotomy right? Good luck with your decision,
  • Options
    I would at least get a second opinion.  I'm not for "planned" c-sections but I do know one of the arguments against an episiotomy is that it won't heal as well as a natural tear.  Obviously, in your case, there was no way around it but if the damage was that significant and it healed poorly, maybe it's legit fear?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    imageManderlin923:

But I guess I just look at it as you either are 100% guarenteed to have major surgery or a CHANCE that you'll tear again. Personally, I'd try vaginal knowing I might tear, but that it's not for sure. GL!

I'm gonna have to agree. If you don't want a c-section get a second opinion. I tore pretty badly with my first, and frankly I would rather tear again than have the doctor tear open my belly. Sure, the Dr uses a nice knife, and it is a clean cut, but it is a cut and it goes through several layers of your body. That isn't a small surgery, nor recovery. It's totally up to you, but I would get a second opinion before I took the first that I didn't agree with.  

Lost but never forgotten <3 : </br> 1st BFP 2/8/06 m/c @ 12 weeks; 2nd BFP 2/9/07 w/ Clomid; DD (Monica Caroline) born 11/16/07; 3rd BFP 3/25/11 w/ injections m/c @ 5 weeks; 4th BFP 8/3/11 w/ injections diagnosed blighted ovum; 5th BFP 1/20/12 m/c @ 9 weeks; 6th BFP 4/27/12 Praying for our rainbow Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    YES!!!!!!!!! i had an 18hr rough rough rough labor w/ my first, really bad fever, needed to be on oxygen, baby started to crash, and within mins of that happening, an emergency csection was ordered and my daughter was delieverd happy and healthy. I also did not want a csection with my second, just because of what happened w/ my first. so the doc said the same thing...that we could wait and see how the pregnancy went and by 34weeks after an ultrasound and measurements, it was decided a repeat csection was what was best for me and for my baby. I was able to get a full nigth of rest before heading to the hospital at 930am, and he was born at noon! It was a much more relaxed and easy experience knowing i did everythign i could to give my son the best birth possible! and my recovery time was 100% faster w/ my second than w/ my first! good luck
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    My mom had three children vaginally without pain meds. She had severe tearing with her first (me) and went on to deliver an even bigger baby less than three years later. When I say severe, I mean very severe. I would do everything I can to steer toward a vaginal delivery. It's not like they can't do a caesarean if the vaginal delivery is not possible. 
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I had a natural birth so I can't speak from experience regarding c-sections and healing, but if I had a doctor who was pushing a c-section at this early stage I'd be looking for a new doctor or midwife.  I would get a 2nd opinion at the very least.

This is very good advice. I would be looking for someone else, too. 

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageReyka9:
    imageAkorn3:

I agree with this.  Any doctor who is already talking about a c-section seems a little premature to me.  I would strongly encourage that if you don't want a c-section that you get another opinion.  Are there any midwives in your area you would trust?  I learned first hand with my labor last time that whatever the doctor thinks the outcome will be is what you will be fighting against the entire time . . . so I would probably find someone a little more open minded to the possibility of you birthing vaginally. 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Options
    I had a horrible induction experience that led to a c-section  To tell you the truth, I'd rather have the c-section again that what you are describing. I had no problems with my surgical wound and my recovery really wasn't bad. The pain meds kept it well controlled, I just needed help for mostly the first two weeks with lifting myself up and down because the scar goes right through your core muscles, and you do use them A TON. It really wasn't awful though, and if you have to have it done, try not to worry too much. Knowing what I know now about the recovery, I'm perfectly fine with a repeat c-section this time, and I have a 2.5 year old too.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Thank you so much ladies, all of your answers helped and gave me things to think about. The practice I am going to now does offer midwife services as well so maybe I can see someone else or go to a completely different office. I like the doctor but if she does start to push the issue I will definitely find another.

Thank you!!

• Options
    imageChocodoxies:
    imageManderlin923:

But I guess I just look at it as you either are 100% guarenteed to have major surgery or a CHANCE that you'll tear again. Personally, I'd try vaginal knowing I might tear, but that it's not for sure. GL!

I'm gonna have to agree. If you don't want a c-section get a second opinion. I tore pretty badly with my first, and frankly I would rather tear again than have the doctor tear open my belly. Sure, the Dr uses a nice knife, and it is a clean cut, but it is a cut and it goes through several layers of your body. That isn't a small surgery, nor recovery. It's totally up to you, but I would get a second opinion before I took the first that I didn't agree with.  

I TTA with all of this.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I cant speak to the tearing issue, but I had a c-section with my first pregnancy. I can say that the recovery was brutal. I couldn't even engage with DS for a day because I was just so out of it, after 18 hours of labor, followed by a C. And then being sent home after three days was not good. Thank goodness I had my mom here to help me. The pain lasted about two-three weeks, and it was quite awhile before I felt back to normal. 

I have seen several friends give birth since I had my son. I was in awe of all of them. They were all walking around, interacting with their baby, and overall just more relaxed-and they all had vaginal births. 

Needless to say, I will be tying to avoid a C-section this time. I hope you can avoid a C and avoid bad tearing agin. I read on another post recently that someone had extra virgin olive oil rubbed on them down there after their water broke. Sounds strange, but her tearing was minimal.  

• Options
    My second baby came a lot easier (ha!) and WAY quicker than my first.  I think you can keep home you will stretch and everything will be smoother the second time around.  My second went like this: water broke @ 1 am, laboured at home until 3:30 am, got to the hospital at 4 am, he was born at 5:30 am.  My first?  Water broke at 11:30 pm and she came at 6: 30 pm (he next day).  Ugh.  Had to be induced, because labour was not progressing.  Keep your hopes up!
  • Options

Hi---I have a situation almost identical to yours.  In addition to my 4th degree and complications with that, DD also had a broken collarbone and eye problems as a result.  She's fine now.  Anyway I switched OBs too.  I totally feel like I should have had a C with DD but she had the "I can deliver anyone" syndrome.  So anyway this time around I plan to try to go into labor on my own and see how things progress.  If we start running into the same issues then stopping and going for a C instead.  Good luck to you!

• Options
    imageashdonne:

Hi---I have a situation almost identical to yours.  In addition to my 4th degree and complications with that, DD also had a broken collarbone and eye problems as a result.  She's fine now.  Anyway I switched OBs too.  I totally feel like I should have had a C with DD but she had the "I can deliver anyone" syndrome.  So anyway this time around I plan to try to go into labor on my own and see how things progress.  If we start running into the same issues then stopping and going for a C instead.  Good luck to you!

Wow glad to hear your DD is ok now:)

Thank you all for your replies!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"