Military Families

Intro and NPS question

Hi everyone!  Currently stationed at Bragg and the NC board is super slow... don't know why I've never checked this one out before, but I'm here now! 

We're exploring a couple options for when my husband returns from deployment.  Top three choices so far are NPS, ROTC instructor or AWG.  I'd love to go to Monterey for a bit so NPS is high on my list for personal reasons, plus my husband just got the initial acceptance and I'm getting excited for the opportunity.  Has/is any of you there now?  What is it like for families?  The good/bad/ugly?

TIA!

Monica 

Re: Intro and NPS question

• Welcome! Never been to Monterey.
  • Welcome, but I have NO idea about the west coast.  DH has always been stationed on the East Coast or Germany. 
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • Loading the player...
  • DH hasn't (and won't because he already earned his Masters) done NPS but we have been to Monterrey. It is paradise. All of our friends who have been there absolutely adore it.  

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• I haven't been there but almost all off my friends went to nps before soac. They all loved it. A few people complained about the weather being colder than ideal but almost everyone loved it. It is expensive out there. That was the other complaint. The navy officer wife fb group would have a lot of insight to this. Good luck

Married 11/27/09 and TTC right away
    Dx: Complete septate uterus with cervical duplication, endometrial polyps, PCOS, endometriosis, hypo thyroid, luteal phase defect
    4 uterus surgeries to correct my complete septum and to remove polyps and 2 years of seeing the RE, medicated cycles and IUIs
    Baby 1 and 2: BFP 3/3/11 with 2 babies EDD 11/1/11, M/C 4/6/11
    Baby #3: 8/11 pregnant EDD 4/27/11 and m/c:(
    Baby #4: 10/12/11 BFP! EDD 6/16/12m/c 10/26/11
    Baby #5: 3/13/12 BFP! EDD 11/25/12 ANOTHER m/c :(

Baby #6: 2/14/13- BFP! EDD 10/24/13, CP 2/19/13
    Baby #7: 3/15/13- BFP! EDD 11/27/13, another CP
    Baby #8.  BFP 5/19/13 EDD 1/22/14. 8 was not our lucky number

4th septum resection on 5/31/13.
    Baby #9: 6/29/13 BFP. C section scheduled for March 5th!

My miracle baby was born March 5 at 9:33am. He was 8 lbs 12.5 oz and 21.25 inches long!

image"">

• I too am at Bragg. DH is from Monterey because his Dad went to NPS there and I've been once. I am from the West so I loved it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I second the recommendation to check to the Navy Officer's Spouses Club group on Facebook.  It is VERY helpful, friendly, and well read.  Most questions about duty stations get dozens of responses.

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Thanks, ladies!  I'll check out that FB group :)
  • Monterey is GORGEOUS. It is really expensive, though. I wish we had lived out there now instead of our first year of marriage. I would have enjoyed it a lot more had we had a little extra money to spend exploring the town. The scenery, however, is free and cannot be beat. 

My favorite (free) thing to do was to go down to the wharf and look for otters. 

• jb2rnjb2rn member

LOVED it. We joke about dh teaching there so we can return.

We lived there from May 2006 until Dec 2007. We chose to live on post because the housing was brand new, and we needed a two car garage for dhs' toys.

Yeah, it's an expensive area, but your BAH will cover it (not sure if we got COLA there..). I worked and made great money there (I am an RN).

We loved the beautiful landscape, outdoor activities, close proximity to SF, Tahoe. Great wine tasting and dining. I honestly liked the weather - it never gets hot, but I liked that.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"