Special Needs

good news!

I feel like I only ever post bad news, which in reality is what we are SO used to getting.  I took P to a GI today (the same one that M sees, I really like her, the appt has been scheduled since Jan/Feb!) to get on tract for bowel management, etc.

They did a few small tests in office and we found out that P has good tone in her bottom, she has good anal winking (I know how that sounds..lol) and something else but basically the summary is that she in theory SHOULD be able to potty train for #2.  

The dr said it was amazing that she had those results given everything else but we are going to take it and run.  Now..to teach a child to be consistent with going #2 in the potty when they can't go #1...and they don't go at the same time everyday. Should be interesting!   

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: good news!

• That is great news!!!!!  I am so happy for you guys! 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Great news!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Woohoo! That is very good news, I hope PT goes well.
  • Yay for great news! I'm happy for you!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Great to hear! Yay for good news!

DD1, 1/5/2008 ~~~ DD2, 3/17/2010
  • That's great news! Time to do the potty dance!
  • Thanks so much everyone!
    DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• image-auntie-:

Great news.

For a lot of typical kids, learning control around #1 and #2 are independent skills at first, so your experience may not be as unusual as you would think. In well developing kids, bowel training/control occurs first, evidenced by healthy infants not generally soiling overnight once they sleep through.

Good luck.

I never thought about it like that.  I thought #2 came second but it would make more sense that it comes first.  She has never told us BEFORE she poops that she has too.  Plus the problem we are running into is that with the laxitives she has to take..well it's messy lol.  I can't figure out how to get her to tell us before she starts and she doesn't go at the same time everyday either.  And I mean, it could be that she doesn't KNOW and that is the aspect she has of a neurogenic bowel, the appt basically told us that her parts are all there and should work, but her bladder isn't anatomically wrong at all, yet it doesn't work.  

The dr. said curiosity is a good motivator for #2 training at her age.  (like a present everyday she gets after she poops on the potty)  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"