March 2012 Moms

My baby has a flat spot :(

I dutifully put DS to sleep on his back every time, and now he has a noticeable ( at least to me) flat spot on the back of his head.  :(  It will go away as he gets older and spends more time off his back, right?

Re: My baby has a flat spot :(

• I'd talk with your Dr. about it.  Sometimes they have to wear a helmet to correct some flat spots.
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Hi

Yes, sometimes they do go away on their own, but sometimes they get worse. This is a common age for when flat spots suddenly become noticeable as baby's heads are soft so they get moulded out of shape from lying down all the time.

My little boy got a flat side at about the same age as yours, where he always lay with his head to the side.  I totally rounded it out within two months by repositioning techniques and a very good flat head pillow.  I basically followed the advice on https://babyflathead.co.uk/prevention-treatment which has lots of helpful information and advice on baby flat head and how to prevent and treat it, worth a look.  Your baby is at an age where if you follow the advice the flat spot should round out no problem.

Hope this helps.

• Loading the player...
  • Yep mine is flat on the right side from turning that way. I have been exercising her neck non stop and pushing her head to the left as she sleeps. Her motion range is much better and hopefully her flat spot will round out. Try to boppynoggin for the back of the head...
    Kingsley Kennedy Wolff born March 16, 2012!!!
  • Our pedi pointed it out last time we were there and I felt like such a bad mommy because she hasn't done enough tummy time, or I haven't held her enough or something!  It's hard when she sleeps most of the time and when her big sister is around it's hard to be holding her and playing with her all the time.  Hoping it evens out by her next appointment. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks for the advice everyone. I'm going to order a couple different pillows and see if they help. I am being more insistent about tummy time and will switch sides on the changing table, and not let him sleep in the carseat. Hopefully it gets better!
  • My baby has a little flat spot too. Pretty sure it's normal since they sleep so much right now and are on their backs. From what I understand most flat spots fix themselves and only severe flat spots need the helmets. We do tummy time, reposition him, and have nap/sleep on different surfaces (crib,PNP, RNP, boppy, swing etc) and he still has one. I am not worried about it at this point since our dr is not worried at all.  

BabyFetus Ticker

• Thanks, I'm trying not to worry about it too much either, but keep an eye on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"