December 2010 Moms
Options

Jobs/Promotions/PLEASE HELP!

I think I've mentioned how much I LOVE my job, and especially the company I work for! But now I have a conundrum:

A few weeks ago, a Supervisor position opened up and I applied. Our department has 2 managers and they each pulled me into their offices and told me that I should apply. The fact that they encouraged me to apply after I had only been there 2.5 months made me feel awesome.

Now, an assistant manager position is available. I applied for that yesterday when it was posted. Yesterday, not even 2 hours after the job became "available" to apply for, both managers told me (separately) that they hoped I applied.

Yesterday, I interviewed for the Supervisor job. Today I was told that I have advanced to the second round of interviews, which will be with all the assistant managers, supervisors, and 1 of the managers. I can't even tell you how nervous I am! I still have to do a written assignment for the Asst. Man. job before I know if I qualify for an interview.

Truthfully, I would rather have the "AssMan" job because the pay is better, the shifts are better, and I can see myself in that role, answering questions, helping my colleagues, doing Quality Assurance call reviews, and going to lots of meetings. I love meetings. (The supervisor position is a stepping stone from my current job to the asst. man. job)

My question is, how do I handle this? If I am offered the supervisor job, can I take it and then if I get the Asst. Man. job, just "upgrade" and let them start the interview process over again for the supervisor? Or if I am offered the Supervisor job, should I turn it down with the hopes that I get the Asst. Man job? I have never been in this situation before and never thought I would be! I just have no idea what to do, so any advice would be appreciated!!!

Sorry this is long... thanks for reading!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Jobs/Promotions/PLEASE HELP!

• Options
    lrn327lrn327 member
    That's great that it sounds like you have two wonderful possibilities!  I assume the one manager that will be in the supervisor interview is one of the managers that asked you to apply for the asst position right?  If so, I'd definitely try to speak candidly with that manager.  I'd let him or her know that you love the company so much and want to grow there.  Then explain how you think that your skills best fit the asst mgr job though you'd be willing to accept the supervisor position if they feel that is most suited to your career progression with the company.  Best wishes and keep us posted!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

That is a very exciting, and I wish you the very best.

;p A couple years ago I applied for 2 job- both for the same company but different locations. I preferred 1 location over the other, and was interviewed by 2 separate places and sets of people. I was offered both jobs, only the first offer came from the place I didn't want to go.

I called my first choice and explained the situation and told them I would try and stall the other place. It worked out in the end and I was able to be hired by my first choice.

Do you know if the same people will be involved in the interview? Maybe if you get the least desired one, you could explain that you are also applying for the other position, esp. if you have been granted an interview and are being considered for it.

If you get offered Supervisor you may want to follow up with whoever is doing the Asst. Manager position and let them know you have been offered the supervisor job, but that you had really hoped you were being considered for the assistant manager spot. In my case when I did  this and found out I was in the top 3 for my first choice and was told afterward that my honesty about the situation is what gave me the advantage.

At the least you have a job currently regardless, so that is start, and you should aim for what is best for you and your situation!
    Best Wishes!

imageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker

Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Thank you!!! My current job is only seasonal, so I'm really not guaranteed anything past August, which is part of the reason I really want one of these 2 jobs! I have no idea who is doing interviews for the Asst. Man. job, but I guess I could sit down with the department director and let her know my preference, since she recommended I apply for the Asst. Man. job even though she knew I applied for the other first.

I'll let you know what happens!!!

(On another note, I was named "Employee of the Month" today! My supervisor said I had a record 5 nominations. So now I get lunch at an Employee of the Month banquet, dinner for 2 at one of our restaurants, my choice of my schedule for an entire month (can you say "No weekends?") and tickets to a suite at a hockey game next spring! YAY! This will look really good for me when I go in for my interviews next week!!!)

BabyFetus Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"