Working Moms

Possible chickenpox daycare WDYT

So my DD's teacher told me a couple kids (1yr) got sent home with possible chicken pix infections, one child is the directors daughter. I asked the director on the way to lunch how her daughter was doing since she left early Tuesday wand wasn't there today she replied "oh fine, she's jut hanging out with my mom" so my question is, don't they have a responsibility to tell parents of a possible chicken pix outbreak?! I wanted I ask her point blank about what I heard but I didn't want to throw the teacher under the bus

Re: Possible chickenpox daycare WDYT

• At my kids' daycare, they always have a little sign noting anything they are exposed to - so, yes, they definitely should!  I would definitely clarify their policy, and ask her about this.
  • Absolutely they should let all parents know.  That would throw a huge red flag up for me about that daycare.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Our daycare always puts up a sign if there is something like chicken pox going around.  I'd ask about their policy.

DH and I married 8 years. Mom of three, stepmom of one.

• Thank you all, I think so too and I've asked about this before and was told they do make efforts to notify parents bit they've never *had widespread illness (yeah right)we are just trying to finish out our last two weeks there before doing a nanny share!!
  • Kie310Kie310 member

We get the slip in the mailboxes for every sickness that isn't a cold really.

But, I  know that the chicken pox vax is one that he can't be at school without too.... up until 2 years old I was giving them an updated shot list & if they didn't have it or if something was missing he wasn't allowed at school until it was fixed. So, I know that chicken pox is close to impossible at our DC.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Our daycare posts a sign for anything other than the common cold. 
    imageimageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    My DC also posts notices on doors to parents. I guess if you're down to your last 2 wks it just validates your decision to use a nanny share.
  • If there is a confirmed case of anything highly contagious in a classroom (parent notifies the director) they put a note in every parents folder. If it is chicken pox you LO will already have been exposed to get it.

My LO's teacher is always telling me things like "LO has allergies because she's rubbing her eye" or all sorts of things. One the teacher isn't a doctor, and two if there isn't a confirmed doctor's case they can't say 'possible virus alert' 

• skyejoskyejo member

I really hope that the teacher had the facts wrong and that the directors kid doesn't have chickenpox.  I would be concerned if the director wasn't disclosing that to you.

At our daycare when there is an illness (other than the normal things like colds) the teachers talk to all the parents about it at drop off or pick up. 

• Yes - they should notify you.  Our school had an outbreak (which my daughter caught - despite the fact that she was vax) and they posted a flyer and sent a copy home with every kid, letting them know about it, what signs to look for and what to do if they suspect their kid has it.   Honestly, chicken pox if you have had the vax is very mild and almost unnoticeable - the reason they recognized it at our school is because a dad had it who wasn't vaccinated and his son got it and passed it on.  I guess it turns out about 10% of kids who are vax still get it, but it's very mild - just about 20-40 spots that don't itch.
  • If it is in your child's room or perhaps spreading from room to room then yes I think they should notify you but I don't think that they should have to tell all parents in the whole school if there is something in some other class, just my opinion.  Also I would only expect it with certain infections, not every single thing (like I wouldn't expect it with HFM unless several kids in the class had it, or a GI bug or something since these things go around all the time, but with more unusual things like chicken pox I would). I'm probably in the minority on this though.  Fwiw I think a lot of parents never disclose what their kids have to daycare b/c they don't want to be 'the kid who brought xyz to daycare'.

• I wish it was close to impossible to have a pox outbreak at the daycare! When I was unable to get live vaxes for DD (immune system too low) they just handed me a personal beliefs form and it was no big thing (she has since had the vaccine) that worries me that many parents have some the same thing. Good point about it not being confirmed, I don't think it has been but you'd think the director would at least say her kid (yes, she's in my daughters class) would at least say she's under the weather, why lie? 
  • vigurlvigurl member

imageeveram01:
    Our daycare posts a sign for anything other than the common cold. 

This but if your child is 1 shouldn't they have already got the chicken pox vaccine?  If so then why the concern.  I am a little confused.

• imagetelfakaye:
    I wish it was close to impossible to have a pox outbreak at the daycare! When I was unable to get live vaxes for DD (immune system too low) they just handed me a personal beliefs form and it was no big thing (she has since had the vaccine) that worries me that many parents have some the same thing. Good point about it not being confirmed, I don't think it has been but you'd think the director would at least say her kid (yes, she's in my daughters class) would at least say she's under the weather, why lie? 

so as not to start a panic that apparently already exists? :)  but yes if it is was confirmed she should prob be telling the class to look out for symptoms but is not required to identify her daughter as one of the exposure sources.  and she wasn't lying, i'm sure her daughter was at home w/ her mom.
    I hope your DD doesnt catch it & if she can't receive all the vax I am sure the nanny share situation will be helpful for peace of mind for you!

• Yes, I would definitely ask and demand that be shared.  And I'd ask about the vacc policies of the school--varicella vax is required for all appropriately aged kids at our daycare.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"