February 2012 Moms

Fever? When to go to ER

I am 99% sure LO is teething. His normal temp is between 98-99.7

Tonight after his bath he was 101.3. I wanted to freak out but hubby said he was fine. I gave him a little baby tylenol and put a cool washcloth on his head and he is now 99.3

I read that everyone's temp spikes in the evening and that is why the ER gets packed at night but I also read that 101+ is a bad deal.

So, teething + warm bath + natural night time temp spike = don't worry because now his temp is 99.3? Or should I have gone to ER? What could they have done for him anyway?

This FTM stuff is rough... 

Re: Fever? When to go to ER

• The bath water could have raised his temp too. When I went to the pedi for 2month shots, the pedi said not to worry if she hit 100 now - it's more concerning in the first 2 months. I'd guess if it gets to 102 - then call your pedi and see what they think. Thats when I'd probably be at the ready for the ER myself (FTM too!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Lilypie - (K6Db)

imageimageimage

TTC #2 since 10/2013

BFP #1 (4.14.14) ~ CP (4.18.14)

BFP #2 (6.27.14) ~ EDD 3.7.15

• I wouldn't go to the er until it was maybe 104. Can you page your doctor if you're worried?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • dmsnydmsny member
    My LO had a temp of 100.7 at one point and we determined it was my mom's body heat since she was hold her.  We stripped her down to a onesie and turned the fans on and she went back down to 99 in like a half hour.  I figured no need to call since it was not prolonged.  Now I hope I did the right thing too!
    Image and  video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby  Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would def call your ped first thing in the morning and ask him. Also, do you have an ask a nurse kind of line around there? We have one at the major hospitaI here, and I call them a lot to ask things like that.

I thought I read that if it's over 101 then it's not just teething and do see a dr., but I could be wrong. However, it looks like your LO runs hot normally, so maybe that's not as high for him?

I just looked and What to Expect the First Year recommends seeking medical attention if a fever is higher than 100.4. But it also says not to worry if LO is teething and fever is up to 101. ???

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • PALGalPALGal member

Okay thanks ladies. I can page my Doc but I don't want to do that just yet.

From other posts I have read here, it seems that the ER is much more trouble than help... 

I think I will just monitor him tonight and call the nurse in the AM for her advice.

He is sleeping soundly right now. 

• I called my Dr a few weeks ago because DS had a fever of 101.5 and I didn't know how high it could get before I needed to be worried. He said at this age we wouldn't have to go to the ER or his office if it was under 104 or if it wasn't going down with Tylenol. DS has been having a low grade fever (99-99.4) this week so I think it's probably related to teething because he seems fine otherwise.
  • Interesting how different pedi's give different advice...our pedi said up to 3 months, we should call at 100.4, but now that he's 3.5 months, wait until it gets to 102.  If he hits 102, we were told to take him to the urgent care facility if it is after office hours.  He did not recommend taking an infant to the ER.
  • After my experience in the ER last week I will not be taking either of the girls back unless there are very serious issues.  DD2 had a bad cold and was choking on the phlegm stuck in her throat.  4 times she choked to the point where she stopped breathing for a few seconds, and after hitting her back she would throw up and start screaming.  The pediatrician told us to go to the ER so we did.  Aside from all of the waiting, once they took her in they listened to her lungs, checked her temp and pulse, did a quick visual examination of her and sent us on our way.  They didn't even attempt to see if they could do a better job of aspirating her then we were doing.  It was a huge waste of time, but I was most pissed about the fact that I brought her to the ER and exposed her to who knows what germs for them to literally just look at her and send us on our way.  For a relatively low grade fever I would rather keep her home and monitor it until the morning when I could call the pediatrician rather then take her to the ER and expose her to what the other people there have.
  • Four er here was helpful when we had to take ds in shy of two months with a fever but he was over heating. We found we need to keep him cooler clothing wise other wise his little body heats right up. That being said our pedi said 3 months and under call first then er over that call and they will tell us what to do depending on the temp 
  • PALGalPALGal member

He is back in the 98 rage today. Still waiting for the Pedi to call me. If he doesn't call me during work hours then I won't feel bad calling him at 3am :(

We don't have an urgent care that I know of.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"