August 2012 Moms

Living Situation T&P (and vent, long)

Ok, so DH and I have been living with my mom for a year till we were able to get on our feet, but now wants us out right away. But in January DH lost his job because it turned out to be seasonal (he was a housekeeper at a local Inn, and they didn't need him after the holidays, not expecting that). But shortly after he started on school again and decided to put off getting a job for a couple weeks, but then couldn't find anything. He's been looking ever since without any luck, till hopefully now since our local Resort is hiring a butt load of positions for the summer.

On top of things, we got a 3rd car so we could get rid of mine (I can barely get in and out of it right now), but we have to get this 3rd car running, DH has racked up over a $3,000 ER bill (almost half of it is from the hospital over charging us) because he got super dehydrated from Strep, my insurance won't pay my U/S bill of $465 and we have no savings to put towards a deposit or first months rent.

I just found out a couple of weeks ago that our local St. Vincent de Paul Society (Catholic Charities Ministry) has a Rapid Rehousing program to help people in need of getting out of where they are located quickly and into something else, they would pay Deposit, First and Last Months Rent, and Pet Deposit (if needed). The first lady I talked to told me that we qualified, so we did all the paperwork (they needed like 15 different documents) and got it turned in last week. To get a call yesterday saying that we don't qualify because there is no court ordered eviction notice against us, and we don't live on the street.

So my mom asked me today how the Rapid Rehousing thing was going, and when I said we didn't qualify, the first thing out of her mouth was, I need $200 in rent! So half the money we have saved the past 2 paychecks has to go towards that and then next week we have to pay another $200 for my car payment (on the car I already have), because the 3rd car isn't fixed yet so we still can't get rid of my car.

I swear my mom just always has the perfect words for the situation...UGH!! Although thankfully today DH went and talked to the hospital, I hope he was able to plead a case of hardship, or get us a way reduced amount for our bill!! And we have been able to find hopefully 2 other solutions to the Deposit/First Months rent problem, we just have to call.

I feel like if my mom wanted us out, she would help by at least not charging us rent till we knew that we wouldn't get help at all. So that way DH could find a job and we hopefully save enough in the next 2 months to get our butts out of here. We hate it here and my mom makes it sound like we want to take over...

Sorry this is so long but I needed to get this off my chest!!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers 
  BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Living Situation T&P (and vent, long)

• This seems like a difficult situation to bring a LO into. I hope you're able to afford the essentials.  Good luck. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I hope everything turns around and ends up working out. Good luck!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Loading the player...
  • babyikebabyike member

imageJulieBean767:
    This seems like a difficult situation to bring a LO into. I hope you're able to afford the essentials.  Good luck. 

This exactly.   

~Sweet Girl *8/18/08* c-section ~ Sweet Boy *12/2/10* VBAC ~ Sweet Boy *8/14/12* VBAC~ 

VBAC Birth Story    2VBAC Birth Story  

• How will you afford a baby in this mess? Do you work? This story gives me stress I can't imagine how you are coping. He needs a job ASAP! I see jobs all over- bed bath and beyond, etc. good luck... Ps how will you pay the hospital bill on the baby? I heard its around $35k for one?????
  • imageReilly626:
    How will you afford a baby in this mess? Do you work? This story gives me stress I can't imagine how you are coping. He needs a job ASAP! I see jobs all over- bed bath and beyond, etc. good luck... Ps how will you pay the hospital bill on the baby? I heard its around $35k for one?????

I'm assuming you're on some kind of government insurance if your income isn't enough to cover your cost of living. I'm sorry poster but you've had months to prepare for the arrival of the baby. Are you working as well? While the economy is pretty bad there are still jobs! I work 2 (social worker and waitress) to make sure baby has everything he needs and SO works over 60 hours a week at a low paying warehouse job. Instead of venting on the internet it's time to take some action to make sure LO isn't coming into the world filled with stress. Or possibly your mom wants you to stay if she's asking for rent and this was her way of keeping you?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm not trying to be mean but how can you bring a baby into that? Your DH needs to get a job, or 2, ASAP! I think he needs to hold off on school for a bit and work as much as he can. There ARE jobs out there, they may not be the jobs he wants but, a job is a job, you can't be too picky when you have no money and a baby on the way!  I hope you guys are able to make some big changes soon because you only have 3 months until the baby is here.
    DS1 8/11/10 
    DS2 8/21/12
    DD 9/26/14
    Baby #4 edd 2/11/19 
  • imageReilly626:
    How will you afford a baby in this mess? Do you work? This story gives me stress I can't imagine how you are coping. He needs a job ASAP! I see jobs all over- bed bath and beyond, etc. good luck... Ps how will you pay the hospital bill on the baby? I heard its around $35k for one?????

Once DH gets a job we will be able to afford baby. I work, part-time but full-time hours and I can cover everything but rent and we can still set aside money each month, unless something comes up, which it has the past couple of months. We live in North Idaho, there ain't much for jobs up here, but thankfully we have a Super Fancy Resort that brings over 2,000 jobs for the summer, DH applied and should get a job. Thankfully our hospital bill should only be about $1,400 for baby and only $150 for me. 

I know I sound crazy, but we have things figured out for baby, we just have to get out of my mom's. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • imageJillwithani:

imageReilly626:

I'm assuming you're on some kind of government insurance if your income isn't enough to cover your cost of living. I'm sorry poster but you've had months to prepare for the arrival of the baby. Are you working as well? While the economy is pretty bad there are still jobs! I work 2 (social worker and waitress) to make sure baby has everything he needs and SO works over 60 hours a week at a low paying warehouse job. Instead of venting on the internet it's time to take some action to make sure LO isn't coming into the world filled with stress. Or possibly your mom wants you to stay if she's asking for rent and this was her way of keeping you?

We have no government insurance. I am thankfully covered by my mom's still thanks to Obama Care. It's a crazy situation but I think I may have made it worse then it sounds. Sorry. I work, but because of where we live, there ain't much to do around here. Thankfully the cost of living is pretty low in this area and we could get away with me working the job I have and DH working part-time, even after the baby is born. It will be a crazy couple of weeks after LO is born. We have taken action and that is why I needed to vent. It seems like this world has come to, anyone not working gets everything the government has, but people that are working that just need help with a deposit and first months rent, oh no... you have a job, and all I want to say is that I support those people that won't get up and find a job that you are giving money to and I need some help now too!! Sorry. 

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Well that sounds better than your original post! I'm glad you have insurance and possible jobs! Pregnancy is stressful enough. Best of luck!! I donate a lot to the st. Vincent's society- furniture and appliances. It's a good thing!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"