3rd Trimester
Options

STM: Birth Control after delivery

So I prefer not to use any hormonal type birth control (eg pills or IUDs) methods and feel more comfortable with natural family planning/charting methods, BUT I'd like to avoid becoming pregnant immediately after delivery and am worried that I may not be able to chart accurately for a while postpartum.

What b/c methods have worked for you post delivery? I was thinking of trying out the lamb-skin condoms instead of latex - anybody have any experience with these?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: STM: Birth Control after delivery

• Options
    If you're just up for non-hormonal birth control I dont know about lamb skin condoms or anything but one of the IUDs my OB has talked to me about is nonhormonal its called Paragard
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    They are not as effective. Do you have a latex allergy? because thats really the only reason to consider them. Talk to your dr. about what's out there now
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    byrne15byrne15 member
    We didn't even do it til ds was 3 months old so that worked out well lol.  Then we just used condoms (little did I know I was infertile and I didn't need to use anything, but hey you live and learn)

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Options
    We did NFP but I could not accurately chart until my cycles returned when DS was 7 months old. Until then, we used condoms (regular).
  • Options

imageCrescent683:
    They are not as effective. Do you have a latex allergy? because thats really the only reason to consider them. Talk to your dr. about what's out there now

No, I don't have a latex allergy - DH and I just really don't like them, especially the way that they smell. I've read that lamb skin is quite effective to prevent pregnancy but not effective to prevent stds (which is not a concern as DH and I are monogomus).

• Options
    I talked to my midwife about this yesterday, actually. I think that I am going to have her fit me with a diaphragm. In my perspective, it would be better than a condom of any type, because I just really don't like how condoms feel. Apparently, it is 94% effective when used correctly, and since I will be breastfeeding exclusively, my risk will be even lower than usual. 
  • Options
    I wanted nonhormonal BC and went with the Paragard IUD. I got it twice-- after each child. I was able to chart with it and got pregnant quickly after it was removed. 
    Mrs. 5/03*DD 2/07*DS1 5/09*DS2 7/12
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    I had the Paraguard IUD after DD. It is non-hormonal and I got pregnant less than a month after having it taken out.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    My DH and I have used a diaphragm in the past and will again once this baby comes. We really like it. You don't feel it, it can be put in well before you plan on being active or in the moment, and you don't have to deal with it immediately after. It's cheaper than condoms generally speaking. It's definitely our BC of choice.
  • Options

DH and I use NFP and successfully used it to prevent conceiving even after having DD. It probably helped, however, that my cycle/period returned to normal pretty soon after her birth, despite exclusive BFing. I'm a little nervous that my period will take longer to return after this LO and it'll be harder to chart accurately.

Do you know of anyone that teaches NFP in your area? DH and I took a course through a nearby hospital when we first started and so if I had questions or concerns I feel confident I could contact them for more info, advice, etc. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm guessing that the fact of us having two under two will keep us to tired to paw at each other. Natural family planning at it's finest. ;)
  • Options
    I had thought about taking the minipill, but was concerned about how it would effect my milk supply.  We ended up using condoms until we ttc again.  This time around..snip snip!!
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    jw87jw87 member
    We also wanted something that was non-hormonal after I had my son, we used condoms for three years.  While they are not my favorite thing in the world, they did the job with peace of mind.

IUD's scare me (I personally know three people who have gotten pregnant with this type of birth control) and hormones were not recommended due to my high blood pressure.  I also don't like the side-effects. 

GL with your decision! 

DH is getting fixed this time around ;) 
    But we will use condoms in the meantime. 
  • Options

We also prefer not to use hormonal birth control, and while the one IUD is hormone-free, it still can prevent a fertilizede egg from implanting, which is why we choose not to use that either.

Unfortunately, we haven't had much long term success with any other methods. Before getting pg with #1 we were using spermicide films (no condoms). We ended up getting pg after 4 months of using those.

Before our third I was charting, which proved to be inaccurate. I had gotten the "clear" of being fertile so we had sex and then about 4 days later they moved my fertile days back to when we had sex and I got pg.

This last time I was using a diaphram and then eventually charting again. This was probably the best option for us. Unfortunately, spermicide irritates DH so we were only using the diaphram and did end up getting pg, but that was after 14 or 15 month of successful use.

I would suggest the diaphram and spermicide (if neither of you are bothered by it). It's been the most successful as well as easiest to use and didn't really interfere with being "in the moment" because you can put it in well in advance.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Options
    If you are familiar with the sympto-thermal method of NFP, there is a postpartum book you can get from the Couple to Couple League that teaches you how to chart your CM and temps until your cycles regulate again. We did this successfully after DD #2.
    ~Amanda
    Mom to Lily Gayle 4.25.06 Charlotte Kathleen 3.27.09 Samuel Thomas ~8.4.12~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    ~Amanda
    Mom to Lily Gayle 4.25.06 Charlotte Kathleen 3.27.09 Samuel Thomas ~8.4.12~
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"