Babies: 6 - 9 Months

Squash purée homemade...

How did you make squash for LO? Did it one time and baked squash and dipped out meat.... They were small and it wasn't worth the time for that luttle. Suggestions?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Squash purée homemade...

• What kind of squash? I just did a butternut squash and made almost 30 oz of purees!

I have the Beaba Babycook so I chopped up the squash, steamed it in the machine and then pureed it. 

Butternut squash is a big hit around our house!

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• I've done it two ways.

I bought a butternut squash, cut it in half lengthwise, scooped out the seeds, put it face down in a pan with about 1" of water and baked it for 40 minutes. Then it put it in the Baby Bullet. That gave me tons.

I also bought some pre-cut squash (cutting squash is hard work!) and put it in a steamer in the microwave. Baby Bullet again.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • JKTTC1JKTTC1 member

imagelchitt:
    How did you make squash for LO? Did it one time and baked squash and dipped out meat.... They were small and it wasn't worth the time for that luttle. Suggestions?

You have to get the large butternut squash! I learned the hard way. I was wondering if you leave the skin though?

#2-BO 6/6/13 D/C     #3 natural m/c 8/6/13 

#4 EDD 5/19/14 It's a boy! 

• imageJKTTC1:

imagelchitt:

You have to get the large butternut squash! I learned the hard way. I was wondering if you leave the skin though?

No, definitely remove teh skin. It's very hard and unedible. I did do the precut squash once, that was super easy! Super Target sells it, I think it was by Green Giant.

BFP #1: 3.28.11 Dx w/ PIH @ 24w DS Born @ 36w: 11.7.11 6 Days in NICU
    BFP #2: 8.31.16 Dx w/ GD @ 28w DD Born @ 36w: 4.21.17

• I made butternut squash. I cut it in half, cooked it in the over in a covered dish with a bit of water, then scooped it out of the skin. Didn't even puree it, just stired it a bit.

Baby #1: m/c at 5 weeks (2011)
    Baby #3: missed m/c found at 11.5 weeks (2013)
    Baby #4: missed m/c at 10 weeks (2013)
    Baby #5: m/c at 6 weeks (2014)
    Baby #6: Saw a heartbeat at 7w, baby stopped growing at 7w1d, found at 8w u/s : d&c  (2014)

Hoping for my lucky #7 (one last try!)
  • DD's favorite veggie is yellow squash.  The kind like zucchini.  She devours it and all you have to do it chop it, steam it, puree it and the skins of that are edible.  We haven't done winter squash yet.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • For butternut or acorn squash, I peel it with the vegetable peeler, then chop and steam it. Let it cool and puree. I don't add water because DD2 likes texture in her food, but a little water will help smooth it out.

For summer squash, like yellow or zucchini, I do the same as EveryName. Wash, chop, steam, puree. Those tend to thaw a little watery, but I thicken them with rice or oatmeal. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • lchittlchitt member
    So u are using the skin when you cube and steam? I def think a bigger squash will make the difference 
  • imagelchitt:
    So u are using the skin when you cube and steam? I def think a bigger squash will make the difference 

For butternut and other winter squash, you peel it. For zucchini and summer squash, you don't need to peel it. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • ns1ns1 member
    I've done butternut squash two ways.  It gave quite a bit both times.  I've cut it in half and put it in a baking dish with about 1" of water and baked it for about 40 mins. like PP stated.  Then scoop out the meat and puree.  I've also peeled (just with a potato peeler) the skin, cut it in half.  Scooped out the seeds.  Cut into pieces, and then steamed until soft, then puree.  Both ways worked fine, and DD loves it!
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"