November 2012 Moms

graduation party ettiquette?

Hey Ladies,

My boyfriend's best friend Dillon is having a graduation party for his mom and his sister this upcoming Saturday. It's really just a small backyard barbeque type thing. These boys have been friends since they were like 8 and their families are really close. My boyfriend's parents are going to the party, and have invited me (as boyfriend's long-time girlfriend and soon to be wife) to the party. My boyfriend really wants me to go, since he has to work that day.

My question for you all is: Should I bring a gift? I haven't really met Dillon's family, but I do know Dillon fairly well. I'm not sure if I should bring a small gift or card for the graduates.

What do you all think?

V|V TSP V|V

Re: graduation party ettiquette?

• I would.  Just something small and a card. 

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Yes, it's inappropriate to show up to a celebration empty-handed.  If you're "of age," a bottle of wine is always a nice gift.  Or there's always flowers or a restaurant gift card.  Don't go crazy!
    Married since 7/25/2009
    BFP #1 9/25/2011 | EDD 6/1/2012 | M/C 10/26/2011 at 8w6d
    BFP #2 3/13/2012 | EDD 11/23/2012
    9DPO hcg: 45; Prog: 41 | 14DPO hcg: 694 | 17DPO hcg: 2733 | 28DPO hcg: 53,006
    First u/s 4/13 showed a beating heart! Second u/s 5/2 showed a HB of 163! Let's GROW, baby!
    He's here! Kellen born 11/16/12 - 8 lbs 8 oz 22 inches long via scheduled c-section (breech baby, gestational diabetes mama)
  • Loading the player...
  • I won't be "of age" until July (bummer, no bar hopping for me lol).

What are some other things you suggest?

*** Thanks for the responses, BTW!!! ***

V|V TSP V|V
  • I would second the Grad card and maybe a gift card to a restaurant or something.
    V|V TSP V|V
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • lavet22lavet22 member
    I would suggest a grad card and maybe a GC to something he likes to do, like a round of golf or something of that sort.  If you know Dillon pretty well, you probably know what he likes or at least SO knows, so maybe you can get him something small, but still personal.  I don't like going the restaurant route because, unless it's something unique, I just don't think it has a personal touch.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think there was some confusion. Dillion isn't the one graduating. His mother and sister are the graduates. And I have never met them.
    V|V TSP V|V
  • imageMommyLuvsMe1210:
    I think there was some confusion. Dillion isn't the one graduating. His mother and sister are the graduates. And I have never met them.

I think flowers are more than appropriate. And if THEY are both of age and you really felt like it, a bottle of wine still works too/instead.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imageJulieN0704:

imageMommyLuvsMe1210:
    I think there was some confusion. Dillion isn't the one graduating. His mother and sister are the graduates. And I have never met them.

I think flowers are more than appropriate. And if THEY are both of age and you really felt like it, a bottle of wine still works too/instead.

Well I wont be of age, so wine is out. But flowers may be nice for them. Thanks!

V|V TSP V|V
  • I would do a card with a gift card to somewhere neutral.  I've gotten people spafinder gift cards before, they are accepted at a lot of hair and nail places, as well as spas.  Maybe one you can use at the movies.

"A new baby is like the beginning of all things--wonder, hope, a dream of possibilities."

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• RitaT22RitaT22 member

imageLuckyMissus:
    I would.  Just something small and a card. 

I agree with this. I think it's poor etiquette to show up empty handed.  

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Definitely a small card and maybe instead of flowers, which is personal if you haven't met them, then maybe a Visa gift card or find out their favorite place to eat and get them something from there. It is wise to make a good first impression!
  • GHBEAGHBEA member
    Ask your BF to help you pick something out since he knows them and you do not.  Gift cards are always nice.
                                                 Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • wed2bewed2be member
    If you belong to Costco you can buy AMC movie vouchers at a discounted price. Those would be nice to put in a card for someone you don't really know.
    BFP #1: 11/09; DS born 8/01/10 BFP #2: 10/11/11 EDD: 06/25/12 M/MC 11/23/11 @ 9 weeks, 3 days; BFP#3 3/10/12 EDD 11/23/11 Grow Baby! Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Nursing Bras at Nurtured Family
  • Get a joint card/gift with your BF.  Couples can do that and it takes the pressure off of you!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"