October 2011 Moms

The unthinkable just happened

Aidan was crawling toward our dog, who was lying on some blankets and she growled and bit him when he got close enough.  I never, ever would have thought she'd do that. 

I'm not sure how to handle it.  I called my husband at work, but he didn't answer or call back yet.  I know this has been a hot-button issue when we were all pregnant, but I'm leaning toward giving her away right now.  When I say "give her away" I mean, I hope that one of our family members who she knows well would take her.  She'll be eleven this year and I've had her since she was a puppy, like I said, I never thought she'd do that.  She actually drew blood.  He has a bite mark in between his eyes.  He's fine and back to normal, so that I'm glad about.

Damn!  Why did this have to happen??!!  I'm so sad and mad.  I guess no matter how much we think we know our dogs, in the end, they're dogs and can be unpredictable.  I really don't want to risk him getting hurt again.  I just don't trust her anymore.

Any advice? A story that's similar and everything turned out fantastic? I'll take anything right now.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: The unthinkable just happened

• I don't really have any advice, but I'm so sorry you had this happen. Our dog was old when I got pregnant and hated going up and down our stairs so my in-laws took him in. Hopefully someone you know will love him and take him!
    photo
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • UFCaseyUFCasey member
    Oh sh!t. That's awful. I'm sorry :( Glad Aidan is relatively ok. For now, I would just not make any decisions in regards to the dog until you have time to calm down about the situation. You are understandably upset right now. I would just make sure the dog is locked out of whatever room Aidan is in until you decide what to do next. Is it possible just to keep the dog separated from Aidan at all times or is your house a rather open floor plan not making that really feasible?
  • Loading the player...
  • Sad  I'm so sorry.  I don't have any advice or stories to share.  I have two dogs, so I can imagine what being in this predicament must feel like. Good luck with your decison-I'm sure you will make the right decision for your family.
  • I'm so sorry.

This happened to my nephew.  One day he lost it and  bit my nephew's face(bottom jaw under the brow bone and top jaw on his skull)  My brother was close by and rescued my nephew.  He was a big dog (mastiff) and my nephew had to go to the emergency room.  He had to get a lot of stitches but you can not tell now(15 yrs) that he was ever bitten.  The dog had to be held in quarantine and then he was given to a no kill shelter.

I now others do not agree with my low tolerance for dogs growling/snipping, but I would find a different home for the dog at least until your LO is older and knows to stay away from the dog.

siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • I would also give your LO a bath and let the wound soak(especially if it was a puncture wound).  Animal bites can have a lot of nasty bacteria and stuff.
    siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894 photo siggy1-16-13_zpsbc591894-1_zpscf1469c3.jpg
  • I am so sorry.  We rescued an abused lab from Georgia.  Like ABUSED, abused.  She was in a kill shelter, beaten the living daylights out of, starved.. Poor dog was an absolute disaster.  She is terrified of me (which is awesome, since I wanted her) and is completely attached to my wife (who never liked dogs, prior to Grace).  I am sooooo scared of this happening.  I am so sorry for your situation.  I can't imagine how terrifying it was. 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageUFCasey:
    Oh sh!t. That's awful. I'm sorry :( Glad Aidan is relatively ok. For now, I would just not make any decisions in regards to the dog until you have time to calm down about the situation. You are understandably upset right now. I would just make sure the dog is locked out of whatever room Aidan is in until you decide what to do next. Is it possible just to keep the dog separated from Aidan at all times or is your house a rather open floor plan not making that really feasible?

Unfortunately, we live in a loft, so it's really open. Tongue Tied  I just have her and all of her things in the back bedroom right now.  I feel bad for her, because I know she hates being separated from "the pack". 

• UFCaseyUFCasey member
    imageSunburn19:

imageUFCasey:

Unfortunately, we live in a loft, so it's really open. Tongue Tied  I just have her and all of her things in the back bedroom right now.  I feel bad for her, because I know she hates being separated from "the pack". 

Ugh! I just feel so sick for you about this :( I'm so sorry.

• I'm so sorry you're dealing with this.  We're in a similar situation in that our 14 year old Beagle has bit my daughter twice completely unprovoked.  We've had her since she was a puppy and has been great with the kids.  My daughter knows how to treat the dog and I've never worried about them together.

Until my dog started acting super crabby and easily irritable.  I know it's her age.  She bit DD yesterday on her finger, didn't draw blood but scared her.  I've been telling DH that we need to consider putting her down for a number of other medical/age related issues but this has sent it over the edge.  I refuse to let my children live in fear of getting bit again.  For now, we have the dog either outside or in the bathroom as we have an open floor plan without any place to secure her.

I hate having to make these decisions but it's gone past the whole "isolated incident" thing.  I feel your pain and hope you guys can find a solution everyone can agree with.

• This is her, Britney Barnacle

I feel like she can't be trusted anymore, like a pp said.  I'm just so disappointed.  She's been around for so long.  I got her a couple of months after my mom had died and there was just something missing.  My brother (who was 17 then) named her after the chick on his wall...good ol' Britney Spears.  How could you name a face like that?  Nothing would fit.  Lol!  Now my brother is gone too, so I knew that someday when she finally went, it would be like an end of an era.

I've just never felt mad at her like that before.  I truely felt the whole "mama bear" thing coming through.  In that moment, I would have had her teleported anywhere if I could have.  Now, I'm feeling bad for her.  This whole "baby" (or human puppy as I've suspected she's seen it) thing has been tough on her, especially in her retirement years.  I hate that I can't trust her now.  Hell, I've seen her protect him!  (She got snappy with a weird, possibly homeless guy here, downtown, after he made Aidan cry one morning...go Britney!)  Gaaaah!  I wish there were doggy retirement communities.  Somewhere they could all be crotchety and hate on puppies and babies all day long with each other and bask in the sun. 

...okay...I'm rambling.  Just waiting for my hub-unit to get home, so I can have a glass of Zin in a hot bath.

• I Amos very sorry that happened and I am glad Aidan is relatively ok. I second the soaking the wound.

As for the dog, I would probably try to keep them separated as well, but honestly, I would be worried and inclined to give her away as well. Showing aggression and escalating so quickly (I am assuming she didn't show any signs before since you seem so surprised)...I wouldn't be sure how else to handle this.

Again, I am so sorry. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Deez10Deez10 member

imageSunburn19:
    Gaaaah!  I wish there were doggy retirement communities.  Somewhere they could all be crotchety and hate on puppies and babies all day long with each other and bask in the sun. 

I don't have anything helpful to say but wanted to let you know I'm so sorry you are going through this and I am so glad your baby is OK.

Our old boy is up there in age as well (great dane/lab mix) and he wants nothing to do with the baby or the new puppy (teacup chihuaha/yorkie mix) we recently found abandoned - every time either of them come near him... he runs away with his tail between his legs. 

I can't see him ever nipping at DS but this really made me pause.  Thank you for sharing your story and I will definitely take the necessary measures to be extremely aware of when DS is near the dogs because you are right... they are animals and are completely unpredictable.

Once again though, I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I completely understand how you feel about your pet - mine are my children and this would devastate me.  I hope that you are able to find someone to take her (preferrably someone you know and trust). 

Please keep us updated. 

Left Hug

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Maternity tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageSunburn19:

This is her, Britney Barnacle

I feel like she can't be trusted anymore, like a pp said.  I'm just so disappointed.  She's been around for so long.  I got her a couple of months after my mom had died and there was just something missing.  My brother (who was 17 then) named her after the chick on his wall...good ol' Britney Spears.  How could you name a face like that?  Nothing would fit.  Lol!  Now my brother is gone too, so I knew that someday when she finally went, it would be like an end of an era.

I've just never felt mad at her like that before.  I truely felt the whole "mama bear" thing coming through.  In that moment, I would have had her teleported anywhere if I could have.  Now, I'm feeling bad for her.  This whole "baby" (or human puppy as I've suspected she's seen it) thing has been tough on her, especially in her retirement years.  I hate that I can't trust her now.  Hell, I've seen her protect him!  (She got snappy with a weird, possibly homeless guy here, downtown, after he made Aidan cry one morning...go Britney!)  Gaaaah!  I wish there were doggy retirement communities.  Somewhere they could all be crotchety and hate on puppies and babies all day long with each other and bask in the sun. 

...okay...I'm rambling.  Just waiting for my hub-unit to get home, so I can have a glass of Zin in a hot bath.

Yes That would be awesome! 

I'm sorry your dealing with this.  I have a small 11 year old dog who is quite grumpy and is an attention hog.  I know he knows better but I can't help but worry he may nip at Gracie one day too.  I can't imagine having to give him up but at the same time, the baby's safety comes first.  If I had to, I'd make my parents take him. 

• None of my dogs have bit humans, but I was bit on the lip as a child. It was my friend's dog and the TV was making a strange glare on my eyes (is what the vet told them) They kept the dog and he never bit again.

That being said, my DH said 1 bite and they're gone, but IDK what I would do. Prob watch the dog very close, keep them kenneled when I was busy, and see if the dog tried it again. (I wouldn't let them near my LO again so they'd have to bite me)

Good luck, I hope you can figure something out. I,personally, won't judge you, no matter what decision you end up making. I know it's hard to know what to do.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm so sorry. I know what a terrible decision that is to have to make. My first thought would be to keep them separate, but since that's not an option I think re-homing is the safest choice. It sucks, but the safety of your child is priority. Thankfully the bite wasn't bad, but you might not be so lucky if it were to happen again. I have a 12 year old dog, who is diabetic and blind. He's a good boy, but I wouldn't be shocked if he were to bite if put in a position where he felt cornered, or startled. Now that DS is spending a lot of time on the floor, the dog is gated in the kitchen with the exception of DS's nap times and after he goes to bed. It's not ideal, but I'm not willing to take my chances. If we have an incident like yours, despite our best efforts, I won't hesitate to chose my baby over my dog. As much as it would hurt me.
  • Ugh, I'm so sorry about what you are going through, especially after hearing the back story with your Mom and your Brother.  I'm like pp, IDK what advice to give you, other than you and your hubby need to have a sit down.  Our dog is 16, and gets on my last nerve, but he has never shown any sign of aggression towards C.  Of course, it's like what you said, you never know.

Please keep us updated.  I would love to send Jake off to an old dogs home if they had one.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • vitanvitan member
    imageSunburn19:

This is her, Britney Barnacle

This made me teary eyed :( and I'm sorry that you have to experience this. It's one of my biggest fears! I hope with your husband's help, you can decide on what to do. Whatever that is, I hope the best! Hugs.
    Visit The Nest!Image and video hosting by TinyPic

BFP #1 - 11/16/10 CP 12/1/10
    Our team green turned into team pink! Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    BFP #2 17dpo - 47, 19dpo - 114 Chart
  • I am sorry.

My dog bit my lip when I was a child and never did it again. I also don't think that a dog that snaps at a child is necessarily showing aggression. I know that probably sounds stupid but dogs have bad days just like people. I think in an ideal world I would keep the dog and simply not let my child crawl towards the dog or interact with the dog unless I was right there...but I know that is hard.

• kagl08kagl08 member
    In in the minority but I would rehome the dog. Our cat did this with our DD. He kept snapping at her, swatting at her and biting her. It happened on multiple occasions because I kept telling myself it was an isolated incident. Eventually I realized he was going to keeping doing it. As hard as it was we rehomed him and we are all happier. Your child is #1 now, even if your doggie is much loved. I wouldn't hesitate to rehome her for 1 instant. I'm so sorry this happened.
  • I'm so sorry, the girls before me gave great suggestions.  That rambling you did made me tear up :(. I'm sure you are disappointed, scared, and confused about the whole situation.  Hope you and your DH come to the best decision for your family.
  • If it helps at all - your dog hasn't shown any aggression.  Biting does not equal aggression.  This was also NOT an unprovoked attack.  It was provoked.  You may not like to hear it, but this was easily preventable.

Here's the thing - dogs can't talk.  They can't say "Hey quit it" or "I'm uncomfortable."  They have a different mode of communicating.  In this situation, your little one crawling toward your dog made her uncomfortable and scared. Babies are freaking scary to dogs - they move funny - jerky.  Imagine if some drunk person came stumbling toward you, that's kind of the feeling they get.  And so your dog growled (and babies don't speak growl) so when that growl didn't stop the oncoming baby, your dog bit as a secondary reaction.  

Now that our babies are becoming more active, it's even more important to keep a constant eye on them.  Baby needs a place to play away from the dog and the dog needs a place to chill away from the baby.  We can't expect the dogs to act like rational people.  They're not people, they're dogs.  There's no leaving babies and dogs together unsupervised, especially with a crawling baby.

June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I am so sorry to hear about this :( But very glad to hear that your baby is ok!

I'm not sure what the answer is because I'm facing the same potential problem. I have two dogs...Dachshunds (mother & son) whom I raised and love very much. I'm not worried about Morgan (mom) but Hucky is another story. He's so loving normally but has already bitten two strangers that invaded "his" yard and acts standoffish toward the baby. Maybe it's something protective he senses from me but I just can't be sure.
    He has also bitten me once before while I was trying to clip his nails (drew blood).

At this point, I don't encourage T to interact with the dogs at all or vice versa. I make sure that they are separated while she is rolling around on her mat. I'm really torn, like you, as to what to do... 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"