September 2011 Moms

Self feeding and finger foods ? about choking

Can someone please explain to me how these babies do not choke/ need mom or dad to do the finger sweep when eating finger foods if they only have greater than/less than/equal to two teeth?????

Have any of you taken choking prevention classes?

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Self feeding and finger foods ? about choking

• Ms5586Ms5586 member

If you want them to actually eat small pieces, I cut them the size of my pinky nail.  I also only do things that are very smooshy (put it in your mouth, if you can smush it with your tongue, that's the softness I go for).  Also, I only give him 1 or 2 pieces at a time, because he's like a little squirrel (especially with bread).

I read the CPR manual on infants online, and FWIW, J's been on finger foods for about 2 months, and he's only actually choked once.  I've had to do a finger sweep once or twice, but out of my own nerves, not his actual need.

Oh and Beca (and others) - a finger sweep after they're choking isn't what you do! It's too late for it at that point, and you could potential lodge the food deeper in their throat.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • This scares me too.  We only have 2 bottom teeth.  She just started to get the hang of the puffs.  She would always choke on them before.  Now I have to watch her though cause she tries to shove several of them in her big cheeks.

We've done pizza crust (i know now very healthy) and this week we did a few peas and some pasta.  She did ok with the peas and the pasta was a little scary.  It was elbow noodles but we had some gaging.

I'm not pushing the finger foods... she'll get there.

• Loading the player...
  • linzicalinzica member
    imageMs5586:

If you want them to actually eat small pieces, I cut them the size of my pinky nail.  I also only do things that are very smooshy (put it in your mouth, if you can smush it with your tongue, that's the softness I go for).  Also, I only give him 1 or 2 pieces at a time, because he's like a little squirrel (especially with bread).

I read the CPR manual on infants online, and FWIW, J's been on finger foods for about 2 months, and he's only actually choked once.  I've had to do a finger sweep once or twice, but out of my own nerves, not his actual need.

Oh and Beca (and others) - a finger sweep after they're choking isn't what you do! It's too late for it at that point, and you could potential lodge the food deeper in their throat.

links please.

beca, i was told babies have a very strong gag reflex that is further forward in their mouth than adults. I have seen Q really jam some things into his mouth though so I'm not sure.

• Ms5586Ms5586 member
    imagelinzica:
    imageMs5586:

links please.

beca, i was told babies have a very strong gag reflex that is further forward in their mouth than adults. I have seen Q really jam some things into his mouth though so I'm not sure.

Ummm, it's on one of my Pinterest boards, but I'll look and see.

Agreed - their gag reflex is much further to the front of their mouth.  Gagging is normal (but not fun for mommy).

• A baby's gag reflex is closer up on their tongue than an adults, which allows them to gag long before they would actually choke. Even without teeth, they can gum at food quite well and will get it in small enough pieces to swallow.

Also, sweeping their mouth when they are chocking can make it worse as you can push the food further back. Back blows are the best way to help dislodge a piece of food.

I haven't taken a CPR/First aid class in about 3 years, but I've been current in both since I was in high school. I've been trying to find a class that DH could take that works with his schedule though.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Pips09Pips09 member

I've tried the finger foods and they actually made her gag and vomit a couple of times. I think her gag reflex is too reactive right now?

We actually took an infant CPR class; it was required to bring our daughter home from the hospital because she was discharged on an apnea monitor. I still look over the instructional booklet every so often to remind myself.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

• Ms5586Ms5586 member

Have you done anything with the mesh feeder?  That's a safe way for him to start getting small pieces of food.

• Ms5586Ms5586 member

For now, until I link mine at home:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_infant-first-aid-for-choking-and-cpr-an-illustrated-guide_9298.bc

When J choked, it only took 2 or 3 back thrusts for the food to come out.

• jen4nyjen4ny member
    We have only tried puffs so far and he doesn't do great with those- he always gags. He doesn't seem to understand yet that he has to chew it. I think I am going to try something softer than puffs and see how he does. I am CPR certified but it still makes me nervous to give him finger foods.
    "From the moment I first saw you, the second that you were born, I knew that you were the love of my life" Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Me: 35, DH: 40
    TTC # 2 since 8/13, Dx: unexplained secondary infertility
    Clomid cycles 7/14 & 8/14= BFN
    IUI # 1 (clomid) 8/27/14= BFN
    IUI # 2 (clomid and follistim) 9/25/14= BFN
    IUI # 3 (femara and follistim) 10/23/14= BFN
    IUI # 4 (femara and follistim) 11/20/14= BFN
    12/12/14- saline sono shows two polyps
    2/15- two uterine polyps and "schmutz" (RE's words) removed
    8/15- surprise BFP! Beta #1 70 Beta #2 150 
  • linzicalinzica member
    Q did start chewing well before we tried giving him any finger food (or had any teeth) which is when i started feeling more comfortable giving him a piece of soft fruit or hunk of meat that was too big to put entirely in his mouth.
  • Im a whoos-bag with feeding solids (pieces, not puree's)... We took child/infant CPR when I was 37 wks PG but I still feel overly nervous.  I love the mesh feeder!  
  • A doesn't have any teeth so I do worry about choking.  But the kids just loves to eat finger food so much!  It's amazing what he can eat with no teeth.  I just try to give really small pieces and only one at a time because he just shoves everything in.
  • imageTeacherVicky:

A baby's gag reflex is closer up on their tongue than an adults, which allows them to gag long before they would actually choke. Even without teeth, they can gum at food quite well and will get it in small enough pieces to swallow.

Also, sweeping their mouth when they are chocking can make it worse as you can push the food further back. Back blows are the best way to help dislodge a piece of food.

I haven't taken a CPR/First aid class in about 3 years, but I've been current in both since I was in high school. I've been trying to find a class that DH could take that works with his schedule though.

This. I took a CPR class a year ago and this is true. The finger sweep is very dangerous once they are actually choking.

I still worry about DS choking though. It's one of my biggest fears. I watch him like a hawk whenever he eats and am so paranoid. Sad

• They don't need teeth to chew, their gums are super strong. Let LO bite you if you need proof :P When DD1 was starting finger foods I read that if you can smoosh it between your fingers, LO can mash it up with their gums, so I tend to follow that basic idea when prepping foods.

DD2 has 2 teeth and tonight put away an entire frozen waffle. I just cut it in half and handed it to her and she did great. DD1 is 2 and has never choked. Gagged a TON, but like everyone else said, that's very normal as their gag reflex is so far forward. Also, making sure round foods are cut in half (or quarters, depending on size) will reduce the choking risk, too. I had an infant CPR cert, but it lapsed after I stopped teaching. I do keep a chart of the steps posted in our kitchen, just in case.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"