September 2012 Moms
Options

Dumb FTM BF Question

I am a FTM and plan to exclusively breast feed (FX).  I plan to get the Medela PIS Double Electric.  So my question is, do I need to buy bottles (or put some on my registry) and if so what kind?  I see that Medela has bottles, but I am just totally clueless. Also, is it neccessary for me to get the freezer storage bags? My books haven't really gone over stuff like this.

Any other information you think I should know, I am all open ears (or eyes, haha)!!

TIASmile

EDIT: I should also add I am going to be a SAHM.

Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage

Re: Dumb FTM BF Question

• Options

I guess my first question would be why you are buying a pump. Are you exclusively BFing but still building a supply for date nights, etc? I didn't use a Medela pump, so I don't know how their system works.

I have the Ameda Purely Yours. I pumped into the bottles that came with the pump, but I used Avent bottles because that's what both DDs preferred. 

You will want to buy storage bags if you're building a supply. They are so helpful since you can label them and you'll always know exactly how much milk you have since the bags have measurements on them. The bags also protect the milk from freezer burn.

Elizabeth Grace 11.20.05 Nora June 7.15.08 Beatrix Catherine 9.4.12
  • Options

The PISA comes with some bottles [I don't remember how many..4?] and that's really enough if you plan to SAHM. Say you pump because you want to go see a movie..and use two bottles [pumping both breasts] to store into the fridge. Then you still have 2 more that are clean if you need them for any reason. As for freezer bags, that depends on how often you plan to be away from LO. If it's only going to be a few hours here and there while you go to lunch or something, than probably not, as you should only have to pump for one feeding. I guess it couldn't hurt to have a box of them on hand just in case. 

Just my .02 cents =) 

DD1 October 2008
    DD2 October 2010
    DS September 2012
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Daisypath Halloween tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Oh, and I'll add that I was a FT SAHM with DD2. I barely used the pump with her. We had a few date nights and I ahd a few girls nights out. I always only pumped enough to cover me for those few hours in the days leading up to being out. With DD1, I had a much bigger stash built up. Making a stash is quite a bit of work. It's worth it, but if you're staying at home and always have access to your baby, it's hard to find the motivation to pump and nurse.

Elizabeth Grace 11.20.05 Nora June 7.15.08 Beatrix Catherine 9.4.12
  • Options
    I figured I would pump so I could have a supply stored. Also, for when he goes and visits his grandparents and maybe they want to feed him. Or yes, when me and H go on date nights. I also read that it is good to pump so H can have that feeding bonding time with baby. I'm so clueless on the whole BF process. Confused
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • Options
    imagedmfan897:

The PISA comes with some bottles [I don't remember how many..4?] and that's really enough if you plan to SAHM. Say you pump because you want to go see a movie..and use two bottles [pumping both breasts] to store into the fridge. Then you still have 2 more that are clean if you need them for any reason. As for freezer bags, that depends on how often you plan to be away from LO. If it's only going to be a few hours here and there while you go to lunch or something, than probably not, as you should only have to pump for one feeding. I guess it couldn't hurt to have a box of them on hand just in case. 

Just my .02 cents =) 

That's a good point. Situations like that are really the only time I plan to be away from baby.

• Options

You can pump into bottles with a Medela! Ditto the freezer bags...they're a life saver! 

ETA: I'm not sure if a generic 4oz bottle will screw properly onto a Medela pump, I only used Medela bottles to pump into.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I bf for 6 months and I pumped and froze as much milk as I could and gave dd that frozen milk util she was 9 months old. So the freezer bags came in handy. It was also good for me to have them in the rare occasions that I had to leave her with someone. I would pump while I was away from her but it was nice to have that stash.  As for the bottles plenty of people that I know use the Medela ones and are fine with them.  I found them to be leaky and also found that DDs gas was better with born free brand    

• Options
    i ebf my ds for 6 months but i had about a month supply in the fridge to help transition and for if someone else wanted to feed him. It was also good for time when I was sleeping so I didnt need to be woken up. I plan to pump and store this time as well so for me freezer bags are needed
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    mom2skhmom2skh member

The freezer storage bags are really handy if you want to build a supply, as you can keep track of date/amount, and they keep longer in the freezer.  It helps to have a supply, even if you will be a SAHM, as you will want some for date nights, letting Daddy take a feeding at night, and they are easy to carry out if BFing is hard in public for you. They are cheap too, so it may be good to have some around. I had to build a big supply up as I went back to work.

Another thought--do you need a Medela if you are only using it a few times, as you will be SAHM and around to BF baby most of the time?  Medela is a great brand, but there are several cheaper brands that work well (I forget what mine was, but at a friend's suggestion I got mine at Target for $100 and it works great).  If you aren't using it often, like someone needing to pump at work, maybe you can save a few bucks and get a cheaper model.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    hmp1hmp1 member

https://kellymom.com/

Great BF resource.

I have a few medela bottles (actually I had a box of 12 of the freezer 2.5oz bottles and 2 of the 5 oz bottles). I found them a waste. Using bags and then using Born Free bottles to feed DS worked well for me. 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options

As a SAHM, I had a Medela pump and got the bottle starter pack and for a while that was it.

DS started refusing the Medela bottles, so I had to branch out at that point, but you won't know that til you have a baby. :)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagemom2skh:

Another thought--do you need a Medela if you are only using it a few times, as you will be SAHM and around to BF baby most of the time?  Medela is a great brand, but there are several cheaper brands that work well (I forget what mine was, but at a friend's suggestion I got mine at Target for $100 and it works great).  If you aren't using it often, like someone needing to pump at work, maybe you can save a few bucks and get a cheaper model.

I was thinking about that too. I saw the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature Double Electric Breast Pump System is about 100 dollars cheaper. And it seem that people like the TT brand. I will check out some reviews because I would love to save some money ofcourse. If anyone has the TT pump I would love to hear what you think of it?

• Options
    Thanks for posting this! I don't think there any FTM dumb questions.  I'm a FTM too and plan to pump once I go back to work.  For every question asked there are others of us thinking yeah what's the answer to that?
  • Options
    I used Medela. I pumped into the little bottles that came with it, but froze the milk in freezer bags bc it was an easier way to keep it stored.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    I am a SAHM and I nursed my son until he weaned himself at 13 months.  One thing I want to put out there is that you may not get a full bottle at each pump.  I had absolutely zero problems nursing but pumping was difficult.  The most I got out of both breasts at one sitting was about four ounces while the average for me was about an ounce at a time.  Because of this storage bags were a must for me.  I would add to the bag throughout the day until I got a four-five ounce bag then start on the next one.
  • Options

I used a Medela pump with DD. I just pumped into the bottles that came with it, poured those into a freezer bag and froze. I never used those bottles for feeding DD, we used Advent.

Also, you can call your insurance provider to see if they cover the cost of a pump. My insurance covered my pump 100%. 

• Options

I have that pump & I would pump into the bottles it came with or directly into the Medela freezer bags.

I would build up a small freezer stash so that the babysitter could give bottles during the day.

The reason to have other bottles mainly is b/c sometimes babies are picky about bottle they will take milk from. So while you can continue to pump into the Medela bottles, you may end up transferring the BM into a different brand bottle.

I mainly EBFed b/c DS fought the bottle tooth & nail. But, I felt like 6 bottles were enough for me in my situation which was/is WFH while DS is cared for in our home. If you are going to be a SAHM, then I think you will be good with the same amount of bottles.

You may want to register for one or 2 packs of different brands of bottles so you have them on hand if needed later.

Another reason to get other bottles is you may want to get bigger bottles than the ones the pump comes with.

Another thing about the bottles it comes with is that while it comes with 4 bottles & 4 caps for the bottles for storage, it only comes with one nipple!

Another thing worth mentioning is nipple flow. The pump comes with a slow flow nipple, so depending on your baby's needs down the line, you may need to buy new nipples with medium and/or fast flow. I knew DS was ready for a faster flow when he'd suck on the nipple so hard it collapsed in on itself.

• Options
    I'm a STM and don't think this is a dumb question at all! I am also a SAHM and EBF. That being said, I also pumped prb once a day bc I had over supply, but also bc I wanted a freezer stash. At one point I had over 400 ounces saved! I was not comfortable BFing in public, so I always knew I could use a bottle. Also, DH could give a bottle if I wanted to go out w friends - be it nails, movie etc. I didn't have to plan around the feeding unless I was worried about my boobs being full! Another reason was traveling by car or plane. I also used BM to mix into purees instead of water. I would def wait until youve established your milk supply though before buying a $200 pump. :)
    Need a good read? There's a new blogger in town... www.thepinningmama.com Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I preferred to pump and store in bottles. Bags are fine, but it was great to be able to take a bottle if frozen milk and pop it in the diaper bag. A few hours later, it was defrosted and ready to feed. 

I got a shiit ton of 4oz bottles for free in the nicu. They had the same mouth as the medela bottles, so they screwed right onto the Pisa.

A word of advice: get a hands free pumping bra. Best purchase ever. 

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    imagejedaniel:

I am a FTM and plan to exclusively breast feed (FX).  I plan to get the Medela PIS Double Electric.  So my question is, do I need to buy bottles (or put some on my registry) and if so what kind?  I see that Medela has bottles, but I am just totally clueless. Also, is it neccessary for me to get the freezer storage bags? My books haven't really gone over stuff like this.

Any other information you think I should know, I am all open ears (or eyes, haha)!!

TIASmile

Idk if this was a dumb choice on my part, but since I plan to mainly breast feed, and pump some for DH to feed or for us to be able to go out on a date and have some milk, I got one that is only one boob, and it is way cheaper because I don't plan on using it often enough to justify spending $300.  I think it's evenflo, and was only like $60, but had good reviews from people who only breast fed a little bit. 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My Medela PIS came with four small bottles.  This was plenty for pumping.  I transferred the milk into Lansinoh milk storage bags for my freezer stash.  (I liked the Lansinoh bags a lot better than the Medela ones).  You can use the bottles for the occasional feeding also, they came with one nipple.  If you're going to bottle feed very often though, you may need to purchase more.  I had Breastflow bottles for when she was bottle fed (I worked).

In my case, I found that I had to really watch when I got close to filling up a bottle while pumping.  Often at work I'd be on the computer or something and the milk would overflow into my lap because I wasn't paying attention.  Smile  You probably won't be pumping as much though, being a SAHM, so that might not happen to you.

Good luck!!

• Options
    imagehunter91011:
    imagejedaniel:

TIASmile

Idk if this was a dumb choice on my part, but since I plan to mainly breast feed, and pump some for DH to feed or for us to be able to go out on a date and have some milk, I got one that is only one boob, and it is way cheaper because I don't plan on using it often enough to justify spending $300.  I think it's evenflo, and was only like $60, but had good reviews from people who only breast fed a little bit. 

Use this one while the baby is nursing on the other side.

Youll notice that when you pump/feed on one side, the other side starts spraying too. It sucks to watch all the milk go to waste.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• Options
    Definitely get the storage bags! I didnt need additional bottles, but it depends on how many your pump comes with and what your personal needs are. One thing I did that I dont hear very often is I collected my dripping milk.  When DS nursed in one side, the other breast leaked, so I caught it in a freezer bag and saved it. I could usually get 1-2oz per feeding; might not sound like much, but its a bottle a day. As a SAHM I didnt need a ton of milk saved up and I hated pumping.
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

<!--td {border: 1px solid #ccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;</style>
  • Options
    I would recommend both a double electric pump and the storage bags.  It's always good to build a little "stash" in the freezer "just in case" (i.e. death in the family, sudden surgery, etc).  I've had friends experience both and weren't prepared to be away from their baby for more than a few hrs.  I would get one type of bottles (they don't have to "match" the pump.  We used evenflow.)  Just buy a starter set - there is no guarantee your baby will like that brand or nipple.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

I used the PISA and pumped into the containers they came in, then stored the milk in Lanisoh freezer bags.  If I was pumping for daycare bottles, then I pumped directly into my Dr. Brown bottles.

Even as a SAH, the freezer stash is a nice thing to have.  I went to a funeral when DS was 5 months old and had to be gone for 3 days......definitely came in handy.  And as another poster said, you might go out with baby somewhere where you don't want to NIP (ie. you might be pretty active and a bottle would just be easier).  I always think pumping is a great idea, especially if you have the supply to produce a stash.

Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"