Pregnant after IF

I have to start progestrone supplements-opinions?

Boo-After my 7 weekish ultrasound yesterday my progesterone was down to 13, which they like to see it above 15-so its progestrone supplements for me.  My RE told me not to worry (yeah, right), but they want to start me on something just in case.

My nurse gave me the choice of prometrium or crinone-thoughts? She has samples of the crinone, so I'm going to start with that.

TTC since 5/2010
DX with Diminished Ovarian Reserve - AMH of 1.1 - 7/2011; AMH of .42 8/2012
BFP 9/1/10-M/C confirmed 9/8/10-Methotrexate 10/6/10
IUI #1 (w/clomid)-9/5/11-BFN ; IUI #2 (w/clomid)-10/5/11 - BFP - 11/1/12-No sac seen; 11/2/11 and 11/9/11-Methotrexate 
IVF #1- ER 2/2; ET 2/5;-Two 8 cell embryos transfered = BFFN
Surprise BFP - 5/7/12
U/S on 6/8/12 - H/B at 128 BPM; U/S on 6/14/12 @ 9wks-No H/B-D&C on 6/17/12
IVF 2.0- ER 10/17; ET 10/20-One 12 cell, one 10 cell and one 8 cell embryo transfered
BFP!   11/16/12 U/S- Two nuggets with perfect heartbeats! EDD 7/10/13

5/31/2013- My miracles arrived at 34w2d!  Welcome to the world Harper and Nolan!Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Blog- http://waitingonaangel.wordpress.com/

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I have to start progestrone supplements-opinions?

• i was on prometrium until about 2nd tri, wasn't bad at all, except lots of bloating and some mild cramping

GL!!

**~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm on prometrium.  My only complaint is that they leak.  I have to wear a pad which I find REALLY annoying.  If I don't my underwear gets soaked.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imagejanabananac:

I'm on prometrium.  My only complaint is that they leak.  I have to wear a pad which I find REALLY annoying.  If I don't my underwear gets soaked.

i was on the oral prometrium, it wasn't bad, except had to take it right before bed since it makes you loopy LOL

**~*Noelle*~**
    Happily Wed DH in May 2010
    June 2012: DD#1 born after countless fertility cycles, our 4 year old miracle 
    TTC #2: current cycle: 225iu Menopur for 4 weeks, Ovidrel Trigger= BFP! Beta #1; 333, Beta #2 713! 1st u/s showed TWINS (7/18)
    BabyFruit Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I've been on both and I prefer the Crinone.  Like PP said, Prometrium leaked and one time it was so bad, it literally looked like I had an accident in my pants and I had to go home and change!  That's not to say that Crinone doesn't leak, but it's more of a discharge, not a liquid.  Also, the emotional side effects from the Prometrium were a lot worse for me than with Crinone. 

Good luck! 

• I have been on prometrium since after my IUI and will take it until the beginning of my 2nd tri. After the first few weeks, most of the s/e seemed to go away and now I don't even notice having to use it. In a way it's actually a comfort to know that I've got a "back up system" in case my body isn't making enough progesterone on its own.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

5 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #1
    3 IUIs to get BFP w/baby #2
    Lost baby #2 at nearly 12 weeks (D&C on 9/19/14)
  • I was on Endometrin. You can't overdose on progesterone, it is a better safe than sorry thing. They don't want anything to happen because of low progesterone. They know how tough this journey has been...I was on Endometrin and PIO until week 12. At that point, your placenta takes over.
    ttc since 10-09 first visit with RE 09-10 ME-everything ok DH- AZOOSPERMIA...biopsy confirmed Sertoli Only Cell syndrome Donor IUI#4 was the charm (8-27-11) with 125iuFollistim/Ovidrel/Endometrin/PIO/vit D beta #1 9/8/11....BFP!!! : ) @ 47.7 beta...#2 9/15/11... 1,998 beta#3 9/22/2011- 27,900 Baby's hb seen @6w2d ! 1-3-2012 20 wk u/s everything lookin' good! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I was just put on oral prometrium following an episode of contractions at 27wks.  Other than some mild cramping, I haven't noticed any s/e.
  • I have been on both prometrium supp & Crinone in the past.  I prefer Crinone, it's less messy.  OTOH, I think Crinone is a lot more expensive?  NOt sure if your ins covers both but cost can be a factor.
    TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
  • I've done both. Crinone was better. Much less leaky.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    TTC #1 since 2009 with unexplained infertility
    IUI#1-4 Jan.-Apr. 2011 = BFNs
    IVF#1 Aug. 2011 = c/p, FET #1 Nov. 2011 = c/p, FET #2 April 2012 = BFP!
    Beta #1 = 153, Beta #2 = 269, Beta #3 = 675
    1st U/S = TWINS!! EDD 12/29/12
    my blog: Journey to Somewhere
    ~~PAIFW/SAIFW~~
    Photobucket
    April IVF Spring Chicks

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I started crinone, within a week I had an allergic reaction. I switched to prometruim 3 times a day. It was gross and had to wear a light days pad and changed it about every half hour after dose, for a total of 8 weeks. IMO it is worth it.
  • Pnut30Pnut30 member
    I don't know about crinone but I took prometrium until last week and had very few troubles.  Unfortunately I had to take 2 pills vaginally both in the am and the pm.... The pm one was ok since I would just go to sleep, it would be pretty gross in the morning though! The am one definitely required a liner or light pad.  I didn't notice any s/e's and if I had them I wouldn't have none if it was from that or pregnancy. I felt pretty much the same since stopping them last week. It's just gross but not bad at all!
  • I haven't done either, I'm on progesterone suppositories. They are messy but not that bad. I would check to see which one is more expensive and if your insurance coverage is better with one than the other. GL!
    TTC Since 3/2010
    Me-36, Unexplained Infertility, DH-35, all clear
    Clomid 50mg 12/2011 = BFN
    Clomid 100mg 1/2012 = BFN, with Cyst
    IVF #1 Lupron/Menopur/Gonal-f/HCG Trigger
    ER 4/19/12 = 11 retrieved, 6 fertilized,
    ET 4/22/12 = 2 transfered (day 3), remaining 3 weren't good enough to freeze
    Beta 5/3 = BFP, 87 Beta #2 5/7 560.9 Beta #3 5/9 1376.5 First u/s One Baby, 125bpm!
    Second u/s, 176bmp! Kicked over to the OB by the RE at 8w. Team Green!! 
    Baby girl J arrived two weeks early! Born into water, med-free. Hooray for Team Pink!

TTC #2 - back to the RE, treatment started 12/2014. 

• I hated Crinone.  It was super messy, irritated my cervix and made me super nauseous (I took it in a cycle that we did not get pregnant).  I started Endometrin the cycle we did get pregnant.  It is runny (although only til mid-morning I found) and you have to wear a panty liner but aside from that I had no other symptoms on it.

We welcomed our girls on 11.7.12 @ 40w0d!
    Emerson Lily 6 lbs 13 oz & Ellis Willow 6 lbs 9 oz

• I never took prometrium, but I didn't think crinone was all that bad.

Good luck!

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

• ShaylizShayliz member
    I'm on compounded progesterone suppositories - they are cheaper because it's not a brand name. I don't mind them. I feel like I've heard more side effect stories from Crinone vs prometrium, but good luck with getting that level up!  I'm in the same boat.. around 12 and they want to get me above 15.  Suppositories won't show up in your bloodwork but it's getting right to where it needs to be. 
  • Hi there!  Sounds like Crinone is better.  I've been on the NON oral Tongue Tied prometrium since the beginning of my pregnancy...and I'm now 9 weeks.  It's really messy and makes me bloated.  So bloated, that people at work were asking if I was pregnant (behind my back...of course), when I was only 6 weeks lol.  Best of luck!  Hopefully you won't have to take it very long.   
    Married 6.13.09 Me: 27 DH: 27 TTC #1 since June 2010 Laparoscopy-May 2011 Varicocele Surgery-June 2011 IUI #1-November 2011: Menopur+hCG+Prometrium = BFN :( IVF #1-February-Canceled/OHSS IVF #1 again-April = BFP!!! Beta #1-380....Beta #2-684 BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"