Trouble TTC
Options

IUI versus IVF

Hi everyone.

My hubbie and I have been trying for one year. We did have one chemical preg but because of my age and his low count, our RE recommends IVF. She says we can try IUI but his count is so low that many would be lost with the"wash". What would you guys suggest? And how much time off from work does IUI and IVF involve each month?

I'm still being evaluated and will ask our fertility coach these questions, too. I have my CD3 b/w soon.

I'm also really grieving for not being able to concieve on our own :(

Me 33. DH 32. TTC Since 6/2011. 12/2012-m/c, CP. DH: MFI. CCT/HSG/day 3 blood work-all nl. IVF#1 ER- 8/7/12, ET- 8/10. beta 8/25 neg, I did not respond as expected. AMH: 0.88. IVF#2 BCP-10/19. Micro flare Lupron-Nov: It's a bust. IVF#3 Planned for Feb '13 with a long lupron protocol ON OUR OWN!!! BFP- 1/12/13. Yay! EDD 9/18, now EDD 9/25

Re: IUI versus IVF

• Options
    What is your age? What was his count/motility? Has he has just the one SA?

I find that I can do most IUI appointments before work and only need to take one morning/day for the IUI itself. It kind of depends on your REs hours/distance/work schedule. I have two monitoring appointments, the IUI and one bloodwork appointment each month, but many people need more....it depends how you respond.

I don't know if I would jump straight to IVF, but it kind of depends on your particular dx as well as your insurance situation. I know IVF is a lot harder physically, emotionally, and financially, but if IUI has very little chance and you are older, it could be a valid choice. Have you done an HSG? Your CD3 bloodwork should also give you some insight into things. If your numbers indicate diminishing eggs, you might jump to IVF sooner.

Oh, and welcome! :) 
    4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options
    I think I need more info too.  Also you got pregnant once so that's a pretty good sign that an IUI may be successful.  I would at least try it once just so you get used to the process and see how your respond to meds before moving to IVF.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Sony22Sony22 member

Thanks Killer Tomatoes! Love the name.

I'm 33 and ideally, would like to have one to two kids before age 35. His count went from 59 in dec to 4.28 motile swimmers a couple months ago. He'll get a repeat. The SA are from different companies, so our RE doesn't trust the first one.

I have my bloodwork, CCT and HSG this month.

Me 33. DH 32. TTC Since 6/2011. 12/2012-m/c, CP. DH: MFI. CCT/HSG/day 3 blood work-all nl. IVF#1 ER- 8/7/12, ET- 8/10. beta 8/25 neg, I did not respond as expected. AMH: 0.88. IVF#2 BCP-10/19. Micro flare Lupron-Nov: It's a bust. IVF#3 Planned for Feb '13 with a long lupron protocol ON OUR OWN!!! BFP- 1/12/13. Yay! EDD 9/18, now EDD 9/25
  • Options
    imageSony22:

Thanks Killer Tomatoes! Love the name.

I'm 33 and ideally, would like to have one to two kids before age 35. His count went from 59 in dec to 4.28 motile swimmers a couple months ago. He'll get a repeat. The SA are from different companies, so our RE doesn't trust the first one.

I have my bloodwork, CCT and HSG this month.

If your results come back okay, I would personally try a couple of IUIs first. Especially if the SA fluctuates, I don't see why you wouldn't have a shot with IUI. IVF is a big step. Good luck!

4 IUIs: Bfn
    Antagonist IVF 7 retrieved, 4 fert w/ICSI&AH, 2 blasts transferred. Beta #1 9/20: 367 Beta #2 9/22: 841
    image image
  • Options
    I agree that you should give IUI a shot first. We are dealing with MFI low count and my RE was ok with us going ahead with a few IUIs. DH's post wash count was 2 million for IUI #1. It was a BFN, but the RE was at least optimistic with that number and wants us to try again. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
    After 2 years of IF workups/treatments and 2 IUIs, we have closed the door on fertility treatments.
    We are very excited to be pursuing international adoption from China!
    6000 miles and a day
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Sony22Sony22 member

Our RE says she doesn't recommend IUI with anything below 5mill but then shrugs and says, we could give it a try.

Sounds like we need to finish all the testing and think it over.

I read a little on egg retrieval for IVF and having to be under anesthesia does sound pretty invasive to me.

• Options
    imageSony22:

Our RE says she doesn't recommend IUI with anything below 5mill but then shrugs and says, we could give it a try.

I read a little on egg retrieval for IVF and having to be under anesthesia does sound pretty invasive to me.

This is about the most, if not the most, invasive procedure in terms on IF and TTC.  Meds and procedure alone often run well over 10K. 

I think I'd try at least 1 round of IUI before doing IVF. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageSony22:

I just wanted to say that I would not feel comfortable with and RE that shrugs and says "we'll give it a try."  I would prefer someone who is confident in their practice.  This is just my opinion, so take it only as that.

Began TTC #1 in January 2011
    Confirmation and Removal of Endo - March 2012
    +#1 on 4/1/12 - m/c @ ~8w 5d
    +#2 Tx cycle 4 - 5 mg Letrozole + 75iu Follsitim & Ovidrel w/ IUI on 11/13/12 - EDD 7/23/13 
    7 week u/s revealed THREE babies, all with heartbeats.  153bpm, 148bpm, and 136bpm
    9 week u/s revealed loss of Baby B.  A and C are growing on track.  A measuring 9w1d with 172bpm and C measuring 9w0d with 179 bpm.  
    Elective sex determination u/s on 2/8 revealed... boy AND girl!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    imageSony22:

Hi everyone.

My hubbie and I have been trying for one year. We did have one chemical preg but because of my age and his low count, our RE recommends IVF. She says we can try IUI but his count is so low that many would be lost with the"wash". What would you guys suggest? And how much time off from work does IUI and IVF involve each month?

I'm still being evaluated and will ask our fertility coach these questions, too. I have my CD3 b/w soon.

Your what now? Your RE would be the best person to ask about how much time you can expect to need to be at the office, because it may depend on their plan for you.

P/SAIF Welcome
    Invisible Finish Line
    3T's Traveling Ovary Blog
    7DPO Progesterone: low. CD3 BW: normal, HSG: clear
    DX: severe MFI (low all 3) and low T. Undergoing replacement therapy.
  • Options
    imagebrookelynpaisley:
    imageSony22:

Hi everyone.

Your what now? Your RE would be the best person to ask about how much time you can expect to need to be at the office, because it may depend on their plan for you.

My thoughts exactly...What is a fertility coach?

Me: 25
    Dx PCOS (June 2006, re-confirmed March 2012), Anemia (May 2010-Still fighting to correct it), Fibromyalgia (May 2011)
    Initial b/w - normal
    HSG (March 2012) revealed right tube open and looking great. Left tube deformed with hydrosalpinx.
    Lap (April 2012) Removal of left fallopian tube. Right tube open and viable, but "rather enlarged." NO evidence of endometriosis...Uterus looks beautiful and "very capable" of carrying a pregnancy!
    October 2012 - Clomid 50mg + trigger + IUI = BFN
    With all factors taken into account, RE is recommending IVF. Planning on moving forward with treatment as a single woman using DS by Summer 2013.
    After 17 months of trying, Surprise BFP #1 2.15.2008 | EDD 8.7.2008 | Lost 2.16.2008
    After 2 more years of trying, Surprise BFP #2 1.29.2012 | EDD 9.11.2012 | Lost 1.29.2012
    Surprise BFP #3 3.27.2012 | EDD 12/2/2012 | Lost 4.1.2012
    imageimage
    someecards.com - Get a colonic?!? Some older lady said that's what she did to cure her infertility...Who knew a fancy enema and a sparkling clean ass would cure my infertility.
    My Blog Pinterest
  • Options

I have no advice on what I think you should do, but I did do 3 IUI's and an IVF.

For the IUI's I had to go CD3 and then every other day for b/w and u/s.  My RE is open very early but I only work a few shifts a week so it didnt matter for me.  I took the day off for the IUI because I had some cramping later in the day.

For my IVF the monitoring was similar (I think maybe 1 more b/w u/s)  You take the day off for you ER because you are put to sleep.  I took 2 weeks off of work for this.  I also ended up with OHSS so I really needed the time off.  My job is on my feet and involves lifting.  Next time I plan on taking 3-4 weeks off.

There is a big difference between IUI and IVF.  I would think about your decision.

http://oi58.tinypic.com/nqv6fk.jpg

DX: PCOS/Recurrent losses/MTHFR mutation (compound hetero)
    5 hysteroscopies/2 surgical
    3 Inject IUIs = 2 m/c's and 1 BFN
    IVF #1= BFP. m/c at 7w6d. Needed 2 D&C's and scar tissue removal. Mild OHSS
    IVF #2 = BFP. Severe OHSS. 4 Drainings. TWINS!
  • Options

I think part of it has to be your comfort with what you are doing.  If you aren't comfortable moving straight to IVF, then dont. 

That being said, I know our RE uses a 5 mil cutoff for moving straight to IVF and has suggested freezing sperm when we thought we were dealing with MFI, in case the numbers continued to decline.  I was okay trying IUI first with the stipulation I only want to do 3 before reevaluating our plan.  

Ultimately the decision is yours & DH.  Good luck!

"Everything will be alright in the end. So if it's not alright, it is not yet the end."
    Me:29 DH:29  TTC since 1/11 Dx: unexplained IF/early DOR/immune issues 
    Feb'12- July'12-testing(all clear minus slight arcuate ute), 3 IUI with clomid all BFN
    8/30IVF#1 Antagonist protocol- ER 9/11-8R, 7M, 5F. 
    ET 9/14 2 embies transferred. 1 10cell Grade 4, 1 8cell Grade 4. No frosties. BFN
    IVF#2 Antagonist protocol plus baby aspirin- ER 12/5-16R, 12M, 8F!
    ET 12/10 5dt! 1 fully expanded blast & 1 early blast. No frosties. BFN
    3/13 hysteroscopy & polypectomy, Consulted w Dr. Kwak-Kim.  
    DX: High NK cells, cytokines, DHEAs& PAI1;  hypothyroid, +APA, restricted bloodflow
    7/13 IVF#3 Long lupron protocol with PIO, Crinone, Prometrium, and vivelle
    (plus synthroid, metformin, baby asa, metanx, PNV, Vit E, D, calcium, fish oil, CoQ10, IVIg infusions and lovenox per Dr. Kwak-kim)
    ER 7/19 14R, 11M, 9F(4 natural fert, 5 with ICSI)
    ET 5dt 7/24 2 fully expanded blasts.  SURPRISE 3 FROSTIES!!!
    Beta #1 8/2 335!!!! Beta #2 829!!!  1st u/s 8/14 showed TWINS!!!!!
    11/11: TEAM PURPLE!!!!!
    3/21/14-L&W born at 37w via csection

Here Comes the Sun Blog
    PAIF/SAIF welcome!
  • Options
    Sony22Sony22 member

Doh! age 33, hubbie 32. Our fertility coach is our go between nurse between us and our RE.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"