September 2012 Moms

Baby wearing?

I was just introduced to this concept a few days ago (FTM). I haven't done much research on it, yet, but I thought I'd go ahead and ask for some opinions/experiences. Anyone? TIA.

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Baby wearing?

• I love babywearing! I wore my son a lot. I think it is perfect because you can still snuggle your baby, but you have your hands free. I think that is going to be my saving grace for DD while keeping up with my super active 2 year old.

I started out with a moby wrap, got a cotton gauze wrap for a trip to Georgia in August (the moby gets hot), and then switched to an Ergo when my son was around 6 months old.

There are lots of great options out there. There is a site called thebabywearer.com that has lots of info and also lots of used wraps that you can buy.

In some areas there are babywearing groups or stores. If there is one in your area, it is a great way to check out different options without buying first.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Don't get a Baby Bjorn. They're uncomfortable & bad for the parents back + uncomfortable and bad for baby's hip and genital development.

Ergos & Becos are awesome for a similar carrier. Moby wraps are awesome in the beginning. Ring Slings (Maya and others) are great at any age. If you want to get REALLY INTO baby wearing, www.thebabywearer.com has great info. 
    BFP 1/6/12 TTC#2 since June 2010 Diagnosed PCOS and started Metformin December 2011 BabyFruit Ticker DS1 - Jack 9/28/08 Birth Doula and ICAN Leader
  • Loading the player...
  • imagesurprised2behereagain:

EDIT: It was the only way she would nap in the first few WEEKS

Whew! I was worried for you for a minute there! ;)

( I second pp's statement about baby bjorn)

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • JoJo507JoJo507 member
    Good to know, and thanks for the advise about the various wraps (and the Baby Bjorn...yikes). Are there any caveats I should consider?

BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • skyejoskyejo member

Looooved baby wearning.  I wore DD in the Moby constantly the first few months and then we switched to the Ergo.  Any time we went out I wore DD.  I never even had a need to use a stroller thanks to the Moby and Ergo.  The only reason I bought one was to take DD jogging with me. I also wore DD around the house a lot so that I could cook and clean.

Once DD started walking at a year she wanted nothing to do with being worn.  I miss it and am looking forward to starting it up with baby girl. 

• skyejoskyejo member
    imagesurprised2behereagain:

I wore my first baby for the first year and I plan to wear this one as well. With my daughter it was the only way she would nap the first year. I liked that I could go hands free and have her right with me. 

I had to either nurse DD or wear her almost the whole first year to get her down for the night...dear God I hope that this baby is a better sleeper than she was/is. 

• I hadn't planned to babywear, but found it really comforted DS and allowed me to get a lot done around the house.  With DD I used the Moby a ton when she was tiny and it saved my sanity with a toddler to chase after.

FWIW, regarding the Bjorn, it's fine in short increments.  I asked DS's pedi about it because I had one and actually really liked it, and she said unless I was wearing him in it for hours every single day, she wasn't the least bit concerned about it.  I thought it was the simplest thing to use for taking him on quick outings (grocery store, Target, etc.) 

the bug & bee blog
    (read it. you know you want to.)
    anderson . september 2008
    vivian . february 2010
    mabel . august 2012
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageKimberJEB:
    Don't get a Baby Bjorn. They're uncomfortable & bad for the parents back + uncomfortable and bad for baby's hip and genital development.

No baby bjorns!!! I love babywearing-- not only are you much closer to the bebe than if s/he's in a stroller, carrier, etc... but you have your hands free for whatever. I am a moby fan myself, but there are so many options. There are babywearing parties (similar to like, tupperware parties or scentsy or whatever) where you can try out all of the dif types of wraps and such.

• I'm also a FTM and plan to baby wear. I think the Moby is going to be my go to wrap. I also heard a lot about the Maya (I think) Ring Sling. I plan to purchase one of those also and see how I like it.
    Baby Jaxon born 8/18/2012 @ 9:53am, 7lb 2oz!! At 37 weeks 5 days due to Pre-E via C-section.Baby Birthday Ticker Tickerimageimage
  • I love baby wearing! It's a great way to keep them content at home and when you're out and about. I used a hotsling with both DDs. I still have that for this DD, and I also have a Moby Wrap to wear this time around. I will use those until she gets too big, then we'll probably move to the Ergo.

I kind of think slings are like bottles. You may find that some work great for you and some don't. I loved the Hotsling with DD1, but DD2 was a bigger baby and it became uncomfortable really quickly to carry her in it. I would read as many reviews as you can and possibly go try a few on if you have a baby store near you. It''s obviously not a great idea financially to stock up on a few different carriers since that's the usual advice with bottles, so trying them on and researching is probably the best you can do. 

Elizabeth Grace 11.20.05 Nora June 7.15.08 Beatrix Catherine 9.4.12
  • I wore DD a bunch for her first year.  it was a god send for grocery shopping!
  • If you are "blessed" with a high needs child who needs to be held 24/7, baby wearing will allow you to get off the couch. 

For months 0-4, I liked the moby. For months 4+, I like the ergo performance.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• imageskyejo:
    imagesurprised2behereagain:

I wore my first baby for the first year and I plan to wear this one as well. With my daughter it was the only way she would nap the first year. I liked that I could go hands free and have her right with me. 

I had to either nurse DD or wear her almost the whole first year to get her down for the night...dear God I hope that this baby is a better sleeper than she was/is. 

Same here. Naps and night sleeping is either done attached to the boob or in the ergo.  

BFP #1 via IUI ~ L (Fatal Birth Defect) 4/7/10
    BFP #2 via IUI ~ m/c
    BFP #3 via cancelled IUI ~ C (2lb 3oz; HELLP) 5/16/11
    BFP #4 via the natural (free!) way ~ E (8lb 11oz) 9/13/12

• I wore DS all the time from birth until about 18 months.  DS slept SO well in baby carriers, and having him in a baby carrier allowed me to hold him and accomplish other things at the same time. 

I started out with the Moby, but once DS was around 12-15 pounds it wasn't as comfortable because of the stretchiness.  DH used an Ergo, I used a Babyhawk Mei Tai.  I also really like slings because they're "poppable", meaning you can just pop your LO in and out...which is nice for short trips.  I have a Zara ring sling conversion and a Sakura Bloom, and I love both. 

Thebabywearer.com has a lot of good information.  I also recommend the Attachment Parenting board - those ladies are very knowledgeable about baby carriers.  HTH!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"