September 2012 Moms

photography price opinion?

So a girl I went to h.s. with is an amazing photographer and I talk to her on fb regularly. We by far are not bff norwere we in h.s. but more like friendly aquaintences. I asked her about maternity and newborn session and how much she would charge meAnd she said it would be 200.00 per session with me coming to her for maternity and her coming to me for newborn.We live about 2.5 hours away from eachother. Also 25 extra for reserving an extra date for newborn in case babygirl doesn'tShow up when we expect. What do you think if the cost? To me it sounds reasonable from others that I have heard of but I need opinions before presenting it ti dh. TIA!!
Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: photography price opinion?

• This is definitely a regional thing.  In Philly, that is an AWESOME price.  I've spent more than 2x that on a photographer.  However, it also depends what is included with the 250.00.  Prints, cd, nothing? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm in Milwaukee and my photog charges $350 for NB photography.  It's typically a 3-4 hour session and includes a CD with all of the images, and 25 birth announcements.

I would have been thrilled paying only $200!

Nancy James 9.1.12

Calvin Donald 8.27.14

• Loading the player...
  • skyejoskyejo member

It depends on what's included.  I found a great photog when DD was born 1 1/2 years ago and for $400 she would come to your house and you got a copyrighted disc with 25 to 30 editted images.  There were certainly cheaper photogs out there but the pictures this girl took were incredible. 

I do think the $25 fee is unnecessary.  You have no clue when you will deliver so you will most likely not be able to use the date you originally booked.  The photog should be used to this and not charge for it, IMO. 

• Depending on what is included, I think it's a great price. You'd be charged twice that where I live.

I would side-eye the $25 booking fee for the newborn shoot. You could be 4 weeks early, a week late, who knows? When I've done newborn shoots I've told the parents that I will keep the week before and after their due date penciled into my calendar and for them to call me when the baby's born and we'll figure out the best possible date with that notice. I'd find it very difficult to schedule a specific date in advance unless you were having a scheduled induction or c-section. 

However, given that she lives 2.5 hours away and could possibly be coming to you, I guess I could understand her wanting a little security in setting aside a date. That means she could be turning down other potential jobs because she is committed to you. 

Met DH - Aug 2001 :: Married - Jan 2010 :: DD born - Sept 2012

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
  • I forgot to include that it does include prints and a Cd of all the images. Yea the 25 is only to reserve an extra dateWhich I do think is a little silly but in the end I think it is worth it because she is so good. Thanks for the responses!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My photographer takes $200 to book the spot. That doesn't include any prints or anything else though. When all was said and done, we spent closer to $800 for the session, prints and birth announcements for DS.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"