Breastfeeding

What does a clogged duct feel like?

Hey everyone- I think I have a clogged duct- not sure. I have a sizable painful lump in my right breast that is sore to touch. I tries pumping it out and failed and my ds just nursed but it didn't help. My right nipple is also sore- is this a plugged duct? 
BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: What does a clogged duct feel like?

• It sounds like it. I'd suggest lots of nursing and a warm or cool compress. I have tried both and while warm is usually recommended, I got relief faster with a cool compress. Also, skip the bra as much as possible.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• I had one and it sounds similar.  I kept a warm compress on it and massaged the area in between.  
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • BriLJLBriLJL member
    Oh yeah. In addition to what you described, I get a white mark on my nipple and sometimes a vein will start to pop out if it gets bad. I've had it happen a few times, always on my right side. It's terrible. Just nurse, nurse, nurse, and try a warm compress. Also, get some rest. After one particularly long and painful run of a clogged duct, I found that getting some sleep helped.
  • About ten or fifteen minutes before you nurse take a disposable diaper and run it under hot water and apply it to the breast. Also try a different position than you usually do. These two things usually make mine go away in one or two sessions. Also, ibuprofren helps! 

And drink lots of water! 

Good luck and feel better! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thank you!!
    BFP 2/14/11 MC 2/28/11 BFP #2- 6/12/11- Austin born 2/22/12 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sounds like one. For me the sure fire cure is to get into a hot shower, lean over at the waist and using the heel of my hand massage in long strokes from the base of the breast to the nipple. I do this as long as I can stand it (and there will be milk flying everywhere lol) and then nurse on the same breast for DD's next feed. That usually does the trick for me. Sometimes you can't tell you've kicked the blockage until the next day so don't get too discouraged if you don't see immediate results. GL! Clogged ducts suck!
    After TTC with IR PCOS:
    April 2011: Metformin 1500mg + Clomid 100mg + Ovidrel + Prometrium = BFP!
    Beta #1 at 14DPO: 197 Beta #2 at 18DPO: 1296
    At 40w6d, our Team Green surprise came by unplanned C-section and changed our lives forever!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"