Food Allergy
Options

confirmed egg allergy, now what?

My 5.5 month old son has had MSPI since birth, and then we recently did allergy testing to discover an egg allergy as well. I suspected this after he broke out in hives the next nursing session after I ate eggs for breakfast one morning. The allergist said this hardly ever happens that the proteins would pass through my breastmilk. And when we did the allergy testing he broke out immediatly in a huge rash all over his body- so much so that the nurse stopped the testing and brought in the allergist because she was afraid of what was going on with him. He said we would go home with an epi-pen at the one year appointment. Although he is MSPI right now, he didnt test positive for a milk allergy, but he is super sensitve to milk products- one yogurt-y kiss from big brother will put a rash all around the touched area.

So where do we go from here? LO is 5.5 months and is about to start solids. He is in a day care with 6 other kids where the provider cooks all the kids meals, and breakfast is usually egg heavy- scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles, muffins. Obviously he wont be eating those specific foods anytime soon or maybe ever, but how careful do we need to be? Seperate room? I want to know what tips I can tell the provider about hand washing, and preventing contamination, and what to look for in an allergic reaction. Please give me your tips!! I am so afraid to leave him now.

Re: confirmed egg allergy, now what?

• Options

Sounds like the reaction during testing was pretty severe so I'd say it's safe to assume your child is highly allergic and would treat it as that. Start reading every label and pack his own food for daycare. Probably tell the DCP to make sure he's contained while the other kids are eating egg products and that all the kids are washed up well afterward. 

Your pedi will prob bring this up but be careful of vaccines that contain egg. We've avoided flu shots and still haven't done the MMR yet bc of the egg. My pedi wants to blood test now, see where we're at with allergies then decide how to administer the MMR. GL! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Why can't he get an epi-pen now? I would be asking for one.
    PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageAsOctoberFalls:

If he is below the weight for the EpiPen junior (not recommended below 30 pounds), your allergist may be able to provide you with a vial of epinephren and a syringe. This is what we have until DD hits 30 pounds. It's trickier because you have to snap the vial and draw the medicine out yourself, but gives us peace of mind knowing we can respond to a serious allergic reaction while we wait for medical attention.

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001
  • Options

DS has an egg sensitivity... he can still have pancakes, waffles, etc- but instead of adding egg to the mix- you can add 1/4 cup applesauce per egg that is called for in the recipe!!  

I usually make a big batch and then freeze them for easy microwaving in the AM.  Maybe you can do this for your DCP?

Just be sure that the pancake mix doesn't say "Made in a facility that processes eggs"- the ONLY mix that I was able to find that was OK was the original Bisquick.

For pastas- Luigi Vitelli was one of the brands that isn't processed in a facility that manufactures egg products... FYI.

Steer clear of most fresh-baked goods (most breads are OK though)- but cookies, cakes, etc all have eggs in them.  Oddly enough, processed cookies don't have egg products in them (Chips Ahoy, Oreos, etc)- so we do those for treats. 

GL! 

Daisypath Anniversary tickers image
  • Options
    imageChristine&Mario:

imageAsOctoberFalls:

If he is below the weight for the EpiPen junior (not recommended below 30 pounds), your allergist may be able to provide you with a vial of epinephren and a syringe. This is what we have until DD hits 30 pounds. It's trickier because you have to snap the vial and draw the medicine out yourself, but gives us peace of mind knowing we can respond to a serious allergic reaction while we wait for medical attention.

Interesting.  DS has an Epi-Pen Jr. and is not 30 lbs.

PhotobucketLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageBaby_Bunny_Hopeful:

DS has an egg sensitivity... he can still have pancakes, waffles, etc- but instead of adding egg to the mix- you can add 1/4 cup applesauce per egg that is called for in the recipe!!  

I usually make a big batch and then freeze them for easy microwaving in the AM.  Maybe you can do this for your DCP?

Just be sure that the pancake mix doesn't say "Made in a facility that processes eggs"- the ONLY mix that I was able to find that was OK was the original Bisquick.

For pastas- Luigi Vitelli was one of the brands that isn't processed in a facility that manufactures egg products... FYI.

Steer clear of most fresh-baked goods (most breads are OK though)- but cookies, cakes, etc all have eggs in them.  Oddly enough, processed cookies don't have egg products in them (Chips Ahoy, Oreos, etc)- so we do those for treats. 

GL! 

Thanks for this info! I was just asking above for some tips and then found this :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"