Baby Names

Boy names going girl - post on Swistle

Since this seems to be a topic of debate around here, thought I'd share today's post from Swistle about concerns that a boy name is going to go girl.

I was surprised that there aren't actually very many girls named Elliott...it seemed like it was a lot more popular.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Boy names going girl - post on Swistle

• I agree. People talk about Elliott on a girl so often here that I'm very surprised it isn't more popular.

It also makes me happy to know there were less than 5 girls named Everett in 2011. I know there's a poster here who has a beautiful little girl named Everett, but I'm not gonna lie...it made me nervous thinking that it would be the next big boy-name-on-girl trend.

Thanks for the link!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • blush64blush64 member

I really wish people would just stop naming their daughters boy names. When I hear of a little girl with a boy's name it makes it look like the parents were attention seeking or trying too hard. (whether or not that was the case)

• Loading the player...
  • stahlopstahlop member

Too me it's not even so much that some people name their little girl boy names, it's that they truly believe that if it's on a girl then it's unisex.  Putting a boy name on a girl doesn't make it unisex, it makes it a boy's name on a girl.  Then other people hear it and say, oh she's such a cute girl and having a boy's name doesn't make her manly, I'll use it too.

I'm pretty sure many boy's names that have gone over to the girl's probably started out as honoring or as a family name and other's just ran with it. 

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• To be perfectly honest, this is one of those things that I think this board is oversensitive about. People have been naming opposite gender names since the beginning of history. I was just at the museum two days ago and learned that one of the founders of my city was a man named Mary.

I honestly don't think it matters that much; I'm personally of the opinion that blue doesn't inherently mean masculine and pink doesn't inherently mean feminine - I don't think names are any different. They are titles, bestowed upon you by your parents to a) honor someone or b) sound good. I don't personally want to name my daughter anything masculine-sounding or vice versa, but I don't really see everything on black-and-white gender lines.

Anniversary
    Visit The Nest!Visit The Nest!
  • imagemagpie1127:

To be perfectly honest, this is one of those things that I think this board is oversensitive about. People have been naming opposite gender names since the beginning of history. I was just at the museum two days ago and learned that one of the founders of my city was a man named Mary.

I honestly don't think it matters that much; I'm personally of the opinion that blue doesn't inherently mean masculine and pink doesn't inherently mean feminine - I don't think names are any different. They are titles, bestowed upon you by your parents to a) honor someone or b) sound good. I don't personally want to name my daughter anything masculine-sounding or vice versa, but I don't really see everything on black-and-white gender lines.

Agree with this. Although my daughter's name is Taylor. Not sure which side this falls as we consider it unisex. *gasp* 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • xoexpatxoexpat member
    Nothing can be as bad as Maxwell Drew.  Really.
  • Okay I can honestly see some boy names being given to girls.  Elliott being one of them.  Or Ryan.  But David, Robert, and Henry?  those poor poor kids!!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers -- Lilypie Second Birthday tickers -- Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • kmplskmpls member
    imagemagpie1127:

To be perfectly honest, this is one of those things that I think this board is oversensitive about. People have been naming opposite gender names since the beginning of history. I was just at the museum two days ago and learned that one of the founders of my city was a man named Mary.

Very well put. I agree.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • As a guy with a "girl" name, I think people are way to hung up on this whole thing, especially when it comes to boys names being used on girls. The whole it makes names unusable for boys argument is hogwash and mostly based around insecurities of the parents. If you look into the actual stats, most of the so-called boy names that have gone girl - Ashley, Madison, Morgan, Evelyn, etc were hardly ever used as boys names anyway and actually in some cases, Ashley being one example, the name became more popular for boys after it became popular for girls too.

Elliott is like Sawyer I suspect. People keep talking about it as a girls name, it puts people off using it for boys. But the reality is that there are not that many girls being named Elliott, based on the SSA data. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"