Trouble TTC
Options

This cycle: Sperm analysis and HSG

We did our first clomid cycle after my PCOS dx, and I'm not preg.  Not sure why she wanted us to wait to do the SA, but at least it's getting done (Friday). I have my HSG Monday and have done my online research - not so much looking forward to that.  Start my second round of Clomid today.  Only been down the 3T road for a month and it's already getting old!

Just venting I guess. Already sick of the bloodwork and poking and meds and all the detailed planning. And of course my husband is supposed to travel for work right around O-time - I'm stressing, but he has assured me he'll make it work and postpone if need be. 

Not to mention, the a/c went out in my car this weekend and is costing $1500 to fix, and the HSG is costing another $750 due to our huge-ass deductible.  It's a rough week. 

Blergh!  

Me: 35, DH: 34, Started TTC #1 since November '11
Several Clomid/Femara rounds, then fresh IVF September '12
Fresh IVF #1: chemical pregnancy, FET #1: ectopic, methotrexate
FET #2 resulted in our amazing baby boy Levi, born on 11/3/13 at 8 lbs, 5 oz. He is our everything!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Image and video hosting by TinyPic  image   image

Re: This cycle: Sperm analysis and HSG

• Options
    Why are you starting and possibly wasting another round of meds before getting these tests done?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagebluek210:
    HSG is costing another $750 due to our huge-ass deductible.  It's a rough week. 

Blergh!  

At least you have insurance for IF. It's more than a lot of people can say.

Just sayin' 

imageimage. image 

|| 4 years TTC, 2 M/Cs image 4 failed IUIs, 1 failed IVF || 

|| DIA brought us our beautiful daughter || 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Actually, my insurance only covers diagnostic testing, not treatment, so I'm just getting the benefit of having an insurance "rate," not actual coverage.

The doc said she wanted me to do the Clomid again this month because my ovulation is for sure an issue (with the PCOS), and that we can do treatments before this month's ovulation for both a sperm problem and a blocked tube.  I guess I'm glad she's proactive, but it does seem concerning.

FET #2 resulted in our amazing baby boy Levi, born on 11/3/13 at 8 lbs, 5 oz. He is our everything!
  • Options
    imagebluek210:

Actually, my insurance only covers diagnostic testing, not treatment, so I'm just getting the benefit of having an insurance "rate," not actual coverage.

The doc said she wanted me to do the Clomid again this month because my ovulation is for sure an issue (with the PCOS), and that we can do treatments before this month's ovulation for both a sperm problem and a blocked tube.  I guess I'm glad she's proactive, but it does seem concerning.

Can I ask if by "doc" you mean an RE?  or an OB/GYN?  What treatment would you do for "a sperm problem" if one is found?

• Options
    imageKdgTeacher:
    imagebluek210:

Can I ask if by "doc" you mean an RE?  or an OB/GYN?  What treatment would you do for "a sperm problem" if one is found?

Yes 

imageimage. image 

• Options

RE.  

Why is everyone so touchy? Just wanted to vent. 

EDIT: No idea what she would do for a "sperm problem," as I'm not the doctor. But when I asked her about not doing the Clomid this cycle and waiting for test results, she said she'd rather not waste time. Shrug. 

• Options
    imagebluek210:

RE.  

I wasn't aware we were touchy? I told you to be thankful you had any coverage for IF and KDG asked you an honest, seriously important question.

You're starting Clomid before you have any idea if you have blocked tubes or your husband has no sperm. How is she planning to "fix" those things suddenly in time for the clomid you're taking now to work? 

imageimage. image 

• Options
    imagebluek210:

RE.  

EDIT: No idea what she would do for a "sperm problem," as I'm not the doctor. But when I asked her about not doing the Clomid this cycle and waiting for test results, she said she'd rather not waste time. Shrug. 

I'm not being touchy.  I was asking questions...that's what happens around here.  I was asking those questions because, truthfully, I find it laughable that any DR would be able to "fix a problem" like a sperm issue or a blocked tube when a patient has already started a medicated cycle in time to actually have a chance to ya know...work. 

• Options
    MBJuneMBJune member
    I agree with everyone.  I made the mistake of taking one unmonitored cycle of Clomid before my husband had his SA done and I will not do it again after reading about everything to be concerned about.  I don't think your doctor is doing the right thing by waiting until after you start a second cycle of Clomid before your HSG and an SA.  You cannot take a medicated cycle back, and they recommend only a max of 6 Clomid cycles.  I think you should find a second opinion, even if it means waiting.

Dx: PCOS/Unexplained
    July '13 - Mar '14 - Letrozole and TI - BFN
    April '14 - HSG - All clear - Letrozole, Trigger and IUI - BFP
    May '14 - Miscarriage 5w 3d
    July '14 - Letrozole, Trigger and IUI - BFN

Aug '14 - Letrozole, Trigger and IUI - BFN

Sept '14 - Letrozole, Trigger and IUI - BFP

Beta 1 - 87  Beta 2 - 193  Beta 3 - 441
    SA - All good
    ALL Welcome

• Options
    Kdg is right. How are you supposed to fix anything after you've already taken the Clomid? It's too late then. You don't know at this point if your only issue is PCOS.
  • Options
    alb245alb245 member
    imageMsGMChick:
    imagebluek210:

RE.  

I wasn't aware we were touchy? I told you to be thankful you had any coverage for IF and KDG asked you an honest, seriously important question.

You're starting Clomid before you have any idea if you have blocked tubes or your husband has no sperm. How is she planning to "fix" those things suddenly in time for the clomid you're taking now to work? 

Listen to these ladies! They are seriously such a wealth of information and knowledge.  It is fine to come on here and vent (Lord knows I've done it before).  Everyone is trying to be helpful and offer you advice based on their multitude of experiences. 

Also, it's helpful if you are able to put some information about yourself in your siggy (diagnosis, tests, treatment, etc) even though you mentioned some of it in your post.  That way people know what you have already had done and can offer better suggestions or advice...even if you just came here to vent.

It sounds like you were already questioning your RE about doing another medicated cycle prior to all of the testing.  And if you are OOP for treatment, wouldn't you want to wait until after the HSG and SA to make sure you weren't spending money for no reason? 

GL with your testing!

~~PgAL March Siggy Challenge - Pet Shaming~~
    TTC #1 since Feb 2011 Dx: MTHFR C677T Homozygous, Antiphospholipid Syndrome, LPD
    BFP #1: 8/4/11 c/p 4w5d
    BFP #2: 9/4/11 c/p 5w0d
    BFP #3: 1/16/12 c/p 4w0d
    BFP #4 8/9/12 m/c 7w3d
    BFP #5 11/2/12 ?EDD 7/16/13? PLEASE grow sweet baby!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imagekatyj25:

imageKdgTeacher:
    Why are you starting and possibly wasting another round of meds before getting these tests done?

This. :::headdesk:::

This: my OB wanted to start me on Clomid without even asking what CD I was on, thanks to these ladies I know to wait for our RE appt on 6/26. Listen to them..they know.

• Options
    imageSweetC80:

OP, everybody is just trying to help you. I know it's hard to be patient, but you need to take PPs advice and get your testing done before more Clomid.

I am currently learning the hard way. I knew I had a problem and didn't push the SA, and come to find DH might have MFI. I wasted 2 medicated cycles, and you don't just "fix a sperm problem". 

I hope you don't have any additional issues, good luck. 

This.  Like everyone else has already said, which we aren't trying to jump down your throat, we want to make sure you are educated and make the right choices the first time around.  Many pp have learned the hard way.

For example, what are you going to do if there are no sperm or tons of sperm but no motility.  This cycle and meds will be a complete waste.  You only get a max of 6 Clomid cycles a lifetime and I would make sure you have all your T's crossed before moving forward.  Trust us when we tell you, there isn't a quick fix for anything when it comes to IF.

TTC #1 Since May 2011 ~ Everyone Welcome
    Me (34): DOR d/t chemo/radiation, Immature Endometrial Lining, Hypothyroidism
    DH (35): MFI d/t testicular torsion and removal, Low T, Oligospermia, Anti-Sperm Antibodies, Currently on T supplements
    Sept '11-April '13 ~  Testing, failed multiple MFI treatments, saving & TONS of praying
    January 2014 ~ IVF/ICSI & PGS ~ no response to stims ~ converted to IUI ~ BFN
    February 2014 ~ On to donor embyros ~ 5 blasts!!! 
    March 2014 ~ FET #1 ~ Transferred 2 blasts ~ BFN
    July 2014 ~ Kliman's mock cycle with endometrial function test
    Sample too small for EFT, HE slide showed immature cells
    New protocol planned, saving for another biopsy for EFT
    January 2015 ~ Considering adoption options
    April 2015 ~ Privately arranged adoption of planned pregnancy
    DD#1 ~ Lillyana Violet Marie born 6/15/16, Finalized adoption 12/20/16
    July 13, 2018 ~ BFP....WTF?!?!
    7/16 Beta #1 ~ 466...7/18 Beta #2 ~ 1,077...7/23 Beta #3 ~ 5,291
    7/23 US #1 ~ 1 gestational sac seen and yolk sac
    7/30 US #2 and 1st OB appt ~ 1 perfectly round gestational sac, 1 perfect yolk sac and 1 teeny tiny heart beat seen!!!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Options
    imagebluek210:

I'm going to say this as gently as possible. She's not being proactive. She's being irresponsible as a medical provider. It's very irresponsible for an kind of doctor to say the bolded...especially since sperm is produced months before it's seen and "treatments" take several months before there is any possibility of improvement from treatment (in other words, the sperm that's being used now was produced 2-3 months ago). How is she going to speed up sperm production in just a few days? Also, completely blocked tubes require surgery. Sometimes they can be opened and repaired, other times they can't and just have to be removed.

Me: 25
    Dx PCOS (June 2006, re-confirmed March 2012), Anemia (May 2010-Still fighting to correct it), Fibromyalgia (May 2011)
    Initial b/w - normal
    HSG (March 2012) revealed right tube open and looking great. Left tube deformed with hydrosalpinx.
    Lap (April 2012) Removal of left fallopian tube. Right tube open and viable, but "rather enlarged." NO evidence of endometriosis...Uterus looks beautiful and "very capable" of carrying a pregnancy!
    October 2012 - Clomid 50mg + trigger + IUI = BFN
    With all factors taken into account, RE is recommending IVF. Planning on moving forward with treatment as a single woman using DS by Summer 2013.
    After 17 months of trying, Surprise BFP #1 2.15.2008 | EDD 8.7.2008 | Lost 2.16.2008
    After 2 more years of trying, Surprise BFP #2 1.29.2012 | EDD 9.11.2012 | Lost 1.29.2012
    Surprise BFP #3 3.27.2012 | EDD 12/2/2012 | Lost 4.1.2012
    imageimage
    someecards.com - Get a colonic?!? Some older lady said that's what she did to cure her infertility...Who knew a fancy enema and a sparkling clean ass would cure my infertility.
    My Blog Pinterest
  • Options
    Sony22Sony22 member

Hi Bluek210,

I'll have my HSG this month too. My husband's SA have been so different, we have to repeat them to see what his real count is. Initially, I was pretty angry about having to do the eval when I felt my DH low count was the problem but now I understand a little better. Tx won't work if something is wrong with me too.

Can you message me after the HSG to let me know how it goes?

Also, how old are you and how long have you guys been TTC?

Me 33. DH 32. TTC Since 6/2011. 12/2012-m/c, CP. DH: MFI. CCT/HSG/day 3 blood work-all nl. IVF#1 ER- 8/7/12, ET- 8/10. beta 8/25 neg, I did not respond as expected. AMH: 0.88. IVF#2 BCP-10/19. Micro flare Lupron-Nov: It's a bust. IVF#3 Planned for Feb '13 with a long lupron protocol ON OUR OWN!!! BFP- 1/12/13. Yay! EDD 9/18, now EDD 9/25
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"