Stay at Home Moms

Organization Tips? How do you do it?

I'm a FTM of a 5 month old. I'm trying desprately to find my groove when it comes to keeping things together. Before DS DH and I just kinda did our own thing. With both of us working money wasn't so budgeted and we were eating out, bring home take out, and always by the store.

Now my goal is to go grocery shopping once a week (we live a good 30 minutes from the nearest store). I seem to be failing at the "list making" though because there's always a new list formed before I even have groceries put away.

Same goes with the household chores. With DH and I working things didn't get near as messy and we just did the chores as they came. Now I feel like I'm over my head in keeping things clean/picked up.

Does anyone do anything special when it comes to household tasks and shopping? Do you schedule things for yourself? Any tips?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Organization Tips? How do you do it?

• I only go to the grocery store once a week, and if I need or forget something then DH will pick it up.  Monday I'll usually think about what we'll eat that week, and stock up on sale items.

Chores are a different story.  My house is not spotless, I try to do one cleaning item a day, such as sweep/vacuum floors one day, bathrooms the next, laundry, etc.  The kitchen is a continuous cleaning project, loading/unloading dishwasher, cleaning counters, etc.

Usually anything for myself happens on weekends or evenings.  When I started staying home it took me a while to get into a groove.  I was shopping much more freq in the beginning, but now I pay more attention to the budget.  Before when I was working money wasn't an issue and it still isn't but I want to make sure we can save as much as possible.

• Grocery shopping - One thing I do is I have several things that I always keep on hand that can go together in a variety of ways and I know we'll eat before going bad or are non-perishable. These include basics like flour, butter, milk, sugar etc as well as things like chicken, kale, mushrooms, bread crumbs. I have several recipes that I can make just from stuff that I basically always have around. Before going to the store I check to see what I have of those things (in an ideal world I write them on the list when we run out or are close to running out). While at the store I replenish our staples and then usually get only a few special items. I can usually count on making 2-3 dinners each week with "new" stuff and then filling in the rest with leftovers or meals from the staple ingredients. I choose "new" stuff based on sales etc and I watch my staples for sales and stock up. 

I also have my husband stop and pick up anything I missed/forgot because he will stick to a list better than I can so we have less extra if he does the emergency run.

Chores - My rule is that I have to do at least one chore right away when the kids go down for a nap, before I do anything else. It works in theory except that currently my kids have a sneaky plot to never nap at the same time so I haven't had "nap time" in a while... I need a new plan. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Scattered has a great idea there of a home management binder.  She gave me some GREAT ideas for mine.  It isn't done, but it is slowly taking shape as I match it to what needs to be done, what info do I need constant access to, and how can I set it all up in a way that doesn't take a lot of time to maintain.

I also think it is really important to be patient with yourself.  I was so overwhelmed for months by all of the stuff that was not getting done, that I basically just wasted time worrying and trying to "get organized".  Once I let go mentally a bit, I was able to actually get a lot more stuff done around the house!  You will have more time as your little guy gets older, and everything will fall into place!
    BFP #1 - Twin B lost at 5w
    Bryce Addison  I'll love you forever, I'll like you for always, as long as I'm living my baby you'll be.
    Our baby boy was born sleeping on 9.17.10. He was 19w1d.
    BFP #2 - Twin B lost at 4w
    Twin A
    BFP #3 - Lost at 5w
    BFP #4 - Lost at 4w
    BFP #5

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"