Parenting after 35

Breast Cancer

I posted this on Parenting but fell the need to repost it here:

On Sunday one of my sorority sisters lost her 12 year battle with breast cancer.  She is one of the huge reasons why I joined the sorority that I did - we met the summer before I rushed and become close friends right away.  We lost touch after college (no email or FB way back then) but reconnected a few years ago.  She stayed strong and positive until the end.  She was 41 and leaves behind 3 daughters.

Today I found out that a HS classmate of mine has Stage 3 Breast Cancer and had both of her breasts removed last week.  Every lymph node that was removed was positive for cancer.  She is waiting to find out if it has spread.  She is also 41.

I have a friend and a 2 co-workers who both are breast cancer survivors - all were diagnosised in their 30's.

Please, please, please make sure you are getting mammograms and doing monthly self breast exams.  Cancer sucks but when you catch it early, your chances of beating it are so much better.

I am sitting here at work feeling very lost for the loss of my friend and for what my classmate is going through right now.  Hug those around you tonight and remember to live your life for the moment

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 

Re: Breast Cancer

• Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend and what your classmate is going through.  Always so rough...especially when it is someone close to your own age. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm on board with this, too.   I'm 44 and just started having yearly checks.  No family history, thankfully.  But I'd been putting it off....

I have a good friend/former co-worker who is barely in her 30s and is having a double masectomy on the 15th.  Found out in Oct. she has BC when she went in to have the doc check what she thought was a blocked milk duct.  She has a 1 year old and a 3 year old.  But it sounds like they've totally knocked it out with aggressive chemo.   She's written a daily blog about it and it just breaks your heart to hear of someone so young having to face this.

• Loading the player...
  • I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend.  So young!!  At my post-partum check, my OB was already mentioning starting mammograms at my next annual visit (I'll be just shy of 40).  It is nothing to mess around with.
    Me: 41, DH 43 TTC #1 since 8/09 CP 10/09.
    3/11 Clomid-Ovidrel-IUI #1-progesterone= BFN.
    5/11 Femara-Bravelle-Ovidrel-IUI#2-progesterone=BFN.
    6/11 Femara-Ovidrel-IUI#3-progesterone=BFP!
    Beta #1 7/1: 39. Beta #2 7/5: 301 U/S 7/19 - saw HB!!
    EDD 3/12/12
    DD born 3/5/12
    Baby #2 Beta #1 12/16: 439.  Beta #2 12/18: 1240
    EDD 8/22/15

• So sorry for your loss.  It is so hard to lose someone close to you especially when she leaves behind beautiful children.  That is my biggest fear that I won't be around for my girls and any further children I may be blessed with. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

IF History in my Bio!

• imagedanish16:
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend.  So young!!  At my post-partum check, my OB was already mentioning starting mammograms at my next annual visit (I'll be just shy of 40).  It is nothing to mess around with.

I actually had my first at 36...what is considered the 'baseline' and at that time the recommendation was to start at 35.  Is this lno longer true?

• Condolences for you losses. Breast cancer is in my family and I, too, had a baseline mamo at 35. Luckily, healthy lifestyle can have a positive impact on risk, but sometimes it happens anyway. Early detection is so vital.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jlw2505jlw2505 member
    imageSunidaze:

imagedanish16:
    I'm so sorry about the loss of your friend.  So young!!  At my post-partum check, my OB was already mentioning starting mammograms at my next annual visit (I'll be just shy of 40).  It is nothing to mess around with.

I actually had my first at 36...what is considered the 'baseline' and at that time the recommendation was to start at 35.  Is this lno longer true?

40 is the age they say to start now unless there is family history.  I had my 1st mammogram, after my 2nd DD was born.  They had felt something when I was pregnant (at age 36) and had me go for an ultra sound and it came back fine.  I was told to go for a mammogram 6 months after the birth or 6 months after nursing ended so I was 37 when I had my 1st mammogram.  I then had them at 40 and at 41.  On my mammogram this year they saw something and I had go back for further testing but thankfully it was nothing.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • klmbbbklmbbb member
    I'm surprised how pervasive breast cancer seems to be in the under 40 age group.  I have two friends that were diagnosed in their 30s - one at age 30 and the other around age 35, not long after having her baby.  Both went through chemo and radiation but both are also ok now, although one took the drastic step of having a hysterectomy and double mastectomy to prevent recurrence. Both had family history, but still those ages seem young.  Makes me wonder if there wasn't something in our generation's environment growing up that's causing this to occur in women so young.  Their moms/grandmothers dealt with the issue at much older ages, I think.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so sorry for your losses.   Far too young...

I've been getting mammograms since I was 37 with the exception of the year I was pregnant (39). I have dense breasts and can't really tell what is going on with a self exam, so I definitely keep up with this.

I know some moms on this board are on the spry side of 40 Wink but check with your insurances. Some do (like mine) allow baseline mammograms under 40 and annual ones thereafter.

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • I'm so sorry for your loss...

My mother's had it twice and last year I lost a dear friend to stage 4. It was very difficult to watch her suffer. Sadly I don't know anyone whose lives haven't been affected by BC. 

• I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend.  I've been having mammos for years due to fibrocycstic breasts and a history of breast cancer in my family (mom).  I also have  a good friend from college who was recently diagnosed with BC and thankfully, is doing great.  Early detection really is key.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I'm so sorry to hear your news!  I believe its a regional thing for the baselines to begin at either 35 or 40, regardless of the recommendations you might hear elsewhere.

For those that know people with these young diagnosis' or family history, please encourage them to get BRCA tested!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"