Stay at Home Moms

Do you MISS your old job?

I am surprised at how much I truly miss my old job. I love staying at home, and didn't expect to feel this way- I'm hoping it passes, but I almost feel like a lost identity or something- I guess I didn't realize how much of myself was invested in the job!
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Do you MISS your old job?

• I totally feel you on this one.

• MJCFMJCF member
    Not one bit.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Loading the player...
  • I do.  A lot.  I love being a SAHM, but I was really good at my old job and I miss that feeling of accomplishment that came with completing projects and getting that "job well done" feeling.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

• I miss parts of it-the feeling of completing a big project, using my brain in that way everyday, the socialization with coworkers.

However, I highly prefer my job of being a SAHM over it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagermontagne@gmail.com:
    Sometimes.......but not often enough to make me want to go back to it :)
    This exactly. Usually it's just a fleeting thought while I'm driving near my old route to work, or when I run into an old co-worker.
    Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Nope. I`ve been a child care worker in  various contexts for years... after school care, preschool teacher, ran a day care, etc... so staying at home with my own kids will basically be the same thing and I love it. I do NOT miss the staff politics, the gossip, the irate or overly emotional parents...... nope, not at all :)

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

• I don't miss the job- I left a few months before I got pregnant.  I miss the adult conversations- and the feeling you get when you complete a project.  I love staying at home with the boys- but sometimes I feel I need some adult interaction that does not focus on my kids (which when out in public it is always questions about the boys).
  • imagehayleydeee:
    imagermontagne@gmail.com:
    This exactly. Usually it's just a fleeting thought while I'm driving near my old route to work, or when I run into an old co-worker.

Ditto both of these!!  When I really think about my job duties and the personalities of some of my co-workers, I immediately change my mind and LOVE that I don't have to go back to that place!!

• ta78ta78 member
    No. I hated my job and was happy to leave. There are a few people I miss, but that is about it.

Q :  06.25.10
    W : 01.11.13

#3 : due 11.02.15

• imagermontagne@gmail.com:
    This. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
  • roxy_jjroxy_jj member
    I miss some of my co-workers, but don't miss the actual work very much.  The one thing I do miss is the sense of accomplishment that I don't get as a SAHM. 
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • NJLHNJLH member
    yes!! I was laid off when pregnant (my whole dept shut down) so I can never go back. But as much as I love being home, I miss the work I did and will probably never have the chance to do it again.
  • I don't miss my real job. I do miss the side jobs I used to before DS. I used to do some figure modeling for an art class and a few creative type odd jobs that were so fun and let me earn a bit of extra money. My "real job" is not missed at all though. LOL
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• I miss some of the people.  I miss being the big boss and being important and getting to run things the way I thought they should be run (but I get to do that at home, right? Haha).  I have to remember that things are much better the way they are now :-). I hated hiring and training (even though I was pretty good at it).  and I hated dealing with stupid and rude customers.  I hated being on call ALWAYS.   I hated finding coverage when someone was sick or when I was sick..... yeah, work sucked.  ;-) 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • I miss my old job terribly, but am unlikely to be able to go back. I worked in history museums and right now most museums are on the verge of shutting their doors because grant money is down or gone. I would only want to return to work if I can do that again, I don't miss the fact of working at all, just miss that particular job.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Sometimes.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • For the last few months, yes.  I've been a SAHM since my first was born(just over four years).  I applied for a position with my old company today(I've been away for five years).  I would be a Regional Trainer who wouldn't have to train/teach during the weeks that no new employees were hired(probably every eighth week off or so).  Crossing my fingers!
    Moved to Maple Valley, Washington January 2012
  • I don't necessarily MISS my old job, I love staying at home.  But, I really loved my old job and wouldn't be too upset if I needed to go back. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Yes and no. My school that I LOVED closed when I was pregnant with #2. I'm still grieving that loss in many deep ways. I would go back there in a second if I could. I got another job for the last several months of my pregnancy and hated it. I would never go back there.

Do I miss working in general? Not really 

• Yes, I miss it. I am thankful I am able to SAH, but I really miss working. I'm teetering on trying to find PT work since I miss it more often than not.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker,Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagekaydee77:

imagehayleydeee:
    imagermontagne@gmail.com:

Ditto both of these!!  When I really think about my job duties and the personalities of some of my co-workers, I immediately change my mind and LOVE that I don't have to go back to that place!!

All of the above.

• Not even a little bit. 

I worked there for over 11 years, so I still drop by from time to time to say hello (and bring Ben, because they ask to see him), but have zero desire to ever work there again.  I just stopped last week and was talking to one of the women that I used to work with, who confirmed that it's still 'same shiit, different day'...which reminded me of how grateful I am to have been laid off from there almost 3 years ago. 

• my old office job - not at all, it sucked!

my current job - owning my part time business and SAHM, LOVE IT 

• imageseans_grl:

Not even a little bit. 

I worked there for over 11 years, so I still drop by from time to time to say hello (and bring Ben, because they ask to see him), but have zero desire to ever work there again.  I just stopped last week and was talking to one of the women that I used to work with, who confirmed that it's still 'same shiit, different day'...which reminded me of how grateful I am to have been laid off from there almost 3 years ago. 

I was laid off almost 3 years ago as well!  best thing that ever happened to me. it's still same shiit different day there as well.  i'm still in contact with one of the workers there 

• jw87jw87 member
    I do.  I was a flight attendant... but most days I'm remembering the past with rose colored glasses, the perks were out of this world but the routines daily were not magical. 

I also had a killer body at the time... now.... eh, lol, I probably would be frowned upon.

It's not a family friendly job. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • 100% absolutely NOT!  First, I worked in a HORRIBLE area (we're talking crack heads wandering in the street).  Also, I've always hated working (not just didn't enjoy it, I hated having a boss, earning an hourly wage, etc).
  • Hi. I don't post here often, but I've been a SAHM for over 5 years.  I actually went back to work (for a different company in the same industry) when my son was a year and a half, but I got laid off shortly after.

It's been a while since I worked, but I do miss my old job sometimes.  I completely understand how you feel like a lost identity.  When people asked me what I did when I was working, I had lots to talk about.  Of course I love to be able to stay with my kids 24/7, but now I don't have much to tell people about me other than about my kids.  

I don't want to go back to work full time now, but I do sometimes think about what I will do when kids are older...

m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

• Not the specific job, but my field and having a career.  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

• lisamoelisamoe member

I definitely don't miss my last job.

I do, miss one of my former jobs and the people I worked with.  I adore staying at home with my son, but if I could work there, maybe 3 days a month, I would.

• The job that I left to stay home, not one bit.

The job that I left to move to Iowa, definitely. If I had been working there, I probably would have returned to work already. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"