New Jersey Babies
Options

NJ FMLA-Teacher question

Hi there-

I am trying to figure out my maternity leave and have a question.  Since my school is off for the Christmas week does that week count against my FMLA leave?  I tried to research it but have gotten conflicting answers.  I just emailed my HR dept.  but wanted to see what you ladies have found.

Thanks!!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: NJ FMLA-Teacher question

• Options
    My experience has been that days when the office is closed are still counted against you for FMLA purposes. I work in HR in NJ, but not for a school system, so they may have different set-up, but my guess is they will still count that week. 
  • Options
    I just went through this- so annoying! I believe that it's counted by days (at least that's what my HR person said). So it's really 60 days (12 school weeks) and it's only days that you would normally be required to work that count (including staff devel. days). So I don't think you would count xmas break. Make sure you check out the NJ Family Leave Insurance (family leave act) because you can get paid for 6 weeks additionally for that. You should check with your HR directly though for your district policy and make sure to give  at least 30 days notice if you can before taking the leave. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I did go through this exactly and because that week is a week off for all schools, it does not count towards the 6 weeks paid from the state.  I was doing part time work and because I was collecting $$ from the state, I couldn't work part time until my 6 weeks paid was complete.  You can collect that money anytime within the first year of the babies birth as long as you are not working.  Summers and christmas week don't count toward your six paid.  In terms of health benefits from your school, I believe that your district will count that as part of the 12 weeks with insurance. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"