High-Risk Pregnancy

FTM with GD and big baby, supposedly :/

Hi all! I haven't posted on this side yet, but since being diagnosed with GD, I guess I will more often! :)

Anyway, my little boy has been measuring 3 weeks ahead since 20 weeks and still is according to my last appointment. I go on June 5th for a growth scan to see exactly how big he is. Since I am a FTM and recently diagnosed with GD, I don't know much about how these two things go hand in hand. I have heard and read that women with GD are more likely to have larger babies, BUT, what I'm wondering about is if he'll come earlier or if they'll talk about inducing because of his size? I guess I'll learn more at my appointment next week, just wanted to get more insight from you ladies that may have gone through this before or may be going through it now. Thanks a bunch :)

Re: FTM with GD and big baby, supposedly :/

• GD moms can have larger babies, but it's not a guarantee. My GD babies were 6lbs 11oz and 6 lbs even :) And many bigger babies aren't from GD moms, they are just genetically wired to be larger. So while GD can cause large baby, it isn't always the cause and isn't always the case. Hopefully that all made sense!

As far as him coming early, in my experience my doctors would not induce early based on size. I was induced at 39 weeks both times due to being on insulin, but that would have happened regardless of how the girls were measuring. I'm really not sure if there is any link between size of baby and going into labor early on your own.

Also, are you measuring ahead based on fundal height or ultrasound? Fundal height doesn't necessarily give a great indication of the baby's size, since it can change a lot based on the baby's position and if the uterus is tilted forward or back. Ultrasounds have a margin of error of about 1-2lbs in either direction, so both those measurements are basically just guidelines, not an exact science. Don't panic about birthing an 11 pounder yet ;) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • imagememali26:

GD moms can have larger babies, but it's not a guarantee. My GD babies were 6lbs 11oz and 6 lbs even :) And many bigger babies aren't from GD moms, they are just genetically wired to be larger. So while GD can cause large baby, it isn't always the cause and isn't always the case. Hopefully that all made sense!

haha, yes, all of that made sense! thanks! my husbands family seems to have large babies, so that may just be what it ends up being, he's just wired to be a fatty ;)

As far as him coming early, in my experience my doctors would not induce early based on size. I was induced at 39 weeks both times due to being on insulin, but that would have happened regardless of how the girls were measuring. I'm really not sure if there is any link between size of baby and going into labor early on your own.

Also, are you measuring ahead based on fundal height or ultrasound?

He keeps "measuring large" based on fundal height, but that's also why doc ordered a growth scan next Tuesday, to try to get a better look than just measuring my tummy. We'll see!

Fundal height doesn't necessarily give a great indication of the baby's size, since it can change a lot based on the baby's position and if the uterus is tilted forward or back. Ultrasounds have a margin of error of about 1-2lbs in either direction, so both those measurements are basically just guidelines, not an exact science. Don't panic about birthing an 11 pounder yet ;) 

thanks for your info! :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"