Breastfeeding

can i vent for a moment

i love my mil, she is great, but never breastfed or wanted to. whenever feeding comes up she always has some comment about how i wont last long because i will "want my life back" or "cant drink" i usually laugh it off but really its annoying! formula fed or breastfed, this so called "life" that i want back is gone... im not going bar hopping with an infant at home. i guess its just so odd to me that she thinks i would put my ability to drink and go out over what my baby needs :(  people and their comments/ advice dont usually get to me... but for some reason this does get under my skin. thank goodness i have lots of other support when it comes to feeding this baby! i already warned them that when they come to visit after the baby is born there may be boobs out, so leave the modesty at the door!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: can i vent for a moment

• 1) Good for you for being committed to breastfeeding. That's awesome.

2) Your MIL should be supportive or not say anything about the subject.

3) Nothing about feeding a baby is easy or quick, at least in the beginning: getting BFing started is hard; pumping is hard; creating formula & preparing bottles at 3am is hard. But breastfeeding gets easier. Now that BFing is well established, it's actually the easiest part of going out with baby on errands/dinner/brunch with friends. I just throw my BFing cover in the diaper bag and easy peasy - we can stay out however long we need to. No worries about if we packed enough formula to last one more errand or one more hour. At restaurants, once we've placed our order, I BF my baby and then she usually sleeps for the rest of the meal. I love it. It really helps keep us mobile and makes taking her out with us easy. A new pattern of life emerges when you have a baby and hopefully, it'll be a more joyous, fulfilling one than the one you've given up. 

Carry on, you'll do great.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tell your dumb@$$ MIL its not like you'll never have a beer again, and shoot if you work it out right you can even have one or two at a time (or more if you REALLY work it out right) during your BF days..some ppl say it even helps with milk production. and IMHO (like PP said).. even though BF may be it little more rough in the early days.. I imagine it is sooo much easier than FF. Hell no I would not want to go downstairs, get out the formula, make a bottle, heat up the bottle, clean the bottle later..all at 3am when my baby is crying cause he's hungry. HELL. NO. hahaha. Anyways..just tell her to stfu she has no idea what she's friggin talking about. I am so glad you are chosing to BF and sticking to it! Don't let people get you down, I know I sound like a rude snob in this post but honestly there's always unsolicited advice (I'm sure FFers hear it too) and it comes mostly from ignorant ppl. I also notice that sometimes ppl have guilt for not BFing.. so anyways just try your best to ignore it!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageEstwd2:
    I'm all for honesty and being realistic, but comments like this definitely aren't helpful or needed because she's just being pessimistic, not offering actual advice. Having been EPing for 7 months now, I can say from solid experience that I am looking forward to my 1-year goal when I can get my time back (not my life, my time). You haven't even had your LO yet; now is the time for her to either be supportive and positve or STFU.

This. I have been EPing for 8 months and while it is time consuming and I'd love to have a martini, BF my daughter is the most important of all! I wouldn't change a thing. Next time just let her know how excited you are to BF and have that bonding experience with your baby. Some people just need to be put in their place sometimes.. Nicely of course.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"