Pregnant after IF

Work shower ettiquette

If you are having or have had a work shower and have direct reports, will you/did you invite them?

My colleague is throwing me a shower and I've mainly invited my boss and my peers. However I'm not sure what to do about my direct reports. I don't want them to feel excluded or left out but on the flip side, this is presumably a gift-giving event so I'm not sure that it's appropriate for me to invite them.

What is the ettiquette for these kinds of things? WWYD?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Work shower ettiquette

• ccamccam member
    I'm pretty positive that I will be having a work shower.  They usually are a surprise pot luck style brunch or lunch and everyone from our unit is invited.  We all contribute towards one big gift and some people might bring in a little something extra.  But no one is excluded.  It sounds like your office may be different though.

Trying for #1 since May 2010   l   DX ~ Unexplained Infertility June 2011

IUI #1&2 = BFN; IUI #3 = BFP, m/c @ 6 weeks

November '11 ~ IVF#1 ~ ER 11/18 (29R, 17F) ~ 5dt of one beautiful blast on 11/23 = BFP!!

Beta #1 9dp5dt = 116, P4 = 28 ~ Beta #2 13dp5dt = 700 ~ Beta #3 20dp5dt = 9500, P4 = 26

1st u/s 12/27 - hb of 156!! EDD 8.10.12 :)   **TEAM GREEN!**

Sweet baby boy born 8.18.12

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Trying for #2

FET #1 - October '13 - c/p   l   FET #2 - December '13 - cancelled :(   l   FET #2.2 - 1.30.14 - BFN

~ More testing - hysteroscopy, endometrial biopsy & more b/w - all normal / negative~

Surprise BFP while waiting on FET #3 ~ beta #1 500; beta #2 1600; first u/s 4/3 - measuring 5w5d, no hb yet!; 2nd u/s 4/10 - hb 132, measuring 6w6d - EDD 11.29.14 :)    **TEAM GREEN!**

Beautiful baby girl born 11.24.14

• My entire school is invited. Support staff, teachers, administrators, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Loading the player...
  • usually the people throwing the shower at my work do the inviting.  all the people who work in my building are usually invited and anyone else the mom-to-be wants.

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • I work for a smaller company, with only 20 people in our office. Our work showers include everyone, we order lunch in and everyone contributes to one or two big gifts. I think the typical etiquette would be for the host to decide who is invited if everyone isn't.
    Dx: Unexplained Infertility

TTC #1 
    IUI's #1 - #3 Clomid = BFN's, IUI #4 Follistim = BFP
    Grayson arrived via emergency c-section on 7/28/12!

TTC #2 
    IUI's #1 - #4 Follistim = BFN's
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI + PGS: Lupron/Follistim/Menopur
    ER 4/13 - 19R, 13F, 4 PGS tested embryos, 1 normal
    5/14 FET: BFP. Beta #1: 123, Beta #2: 327, Beta #3: 854
    Cora arrived 1/23/15 via RCS!
  • imagemdiblasi10:
    I work for a smaller company, with only 20 people in our office. Our work showers include everyone, we order lunch in and everyone contributes to one or two big gifts. I think the typical etiquette would be for the host to decide who is invited if everyone isn't.
    I see. The host is leaving the guestlist up to me but I should throw it back in her court :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemissjul61:
    imagemdiblasi10:
    I work for a smaller company, with only 20 people in our office. Our work showers include everyone, we order lunch in and everyone contributes to one or two big gifts. I think the typical etiquette would be for the host to decide who is invited if everyone isn't.
    I see. The host is leaving the guestlist up to me but I should throw it back in her court :)

Yep! Let her worry about it :) Or write the guest list with whoever you feel comfortable inviting.

Dx: Unexplained Infertility

TTC #1 
    IUI's #1 - #3 Clomid = BFN's, IUI #4 Follistim = BFP
    Grayson arrived via emergency c-section on 7/28/12!

TTC #2 
    IUI's #1 - #4 Follistim = BFN's
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI + PGS: Lupron/Follistim/Menopur
    ER 4/13 - 19R, 13F, 4 PGS tested embryos, 1 normal
    5/14 FET: BFP. Beta #1: 123, Beta #2: 327, Beta #3: 854
    Cora arrived 1/23/15 via RCS!
  • imagelovebug33:
    My entire school is invited. Support staff, teachers, administrators, etc.

This. We usually have them I before/in  place of faculty meetings. 

TTC since Jan. 2010 DX Unexplained infertility
    3 IUI's w/Clomid & Ovidrel=all BFNs
    3 IVF (2 Fresh, 1 frozen) =BFN
    Jan 2012 New RE & Fresh Cycle =BFP!

TTC #2 October 2014
    Meet with RE March 2015
    2 Frozen & 1 Fresh IVF= BFNs
    September 2015 Frozen ET=BFP!

BabyFruit Ticker

• I didn't want a work shower for a few reasons 1) because I'm not that social with my co-workers. I know their names, they know mine but that's it 2) I don't like being on the spot like that opening gifts and 3) I didn't really want one at work.

So my boss is putting a luncheon together with the co-workers I know well. I don't want to exclude anyone but I prefer the smaller, intimate setting and less pressure.

Me (33)& DX: DOR, FSH-20.3; DH(28):SA=normal 8/11 HSG= clear!
    IUI #1 10/12/11 (Bravelle + HCG + Prometrium & acupuncture) = 10/26 BFP! Beta #1=250, Beta #2= 615. 1st u/s 11/8. image Visit The Nest! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think if you invite your direct reports they may feel like they have to get you something.  On the other hand if you do not invite them they may feel left out.  If you really want to celebrate I would make it clear that a gift is not required.  
    TTC since June 2011
    DH diagnosed with Testicular Cancer 8/2010
    Low sperm count. Only option IVF with ICSI
    Starting First cycle Jan/Feb 2012- Canceled due to not responding to BCP and/or Lupron
    IVF 1.2- stims March 14, ER March 24, 16 R 10F 6 made it to blast
    ET March 29- transferred two blasts, 4A and 4BA, froze 4
    Positive HPT 9dp5dt Beta 1- 385 11dp5dt
    u/s April 25- one healthy heartbeat
    EDD 12/12/12>

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"