July 2012 Moms

Leaving For Maine Babymoon on Fri, Looking For Tips

MH and I leave Friday morning for an 8 night journey up the coast of Maine.  We are staying 1 night in Old Orchard Beach, then traveling further up the coast (rt.1) to Boothbay Harbor for 2 nights, then on to Bar Harbor for 2 nights.  Then we are going way up to the Millinocket for 2 nights at 5 Lakes Lodge.  And finally we will stop in Portland for 1 night on our way home.  Is anyone familiar with these areas and can offer some "can't miss" sights and or restaurants we should check out.  Yummy food tips are especially welcome!!  Trip Advisor is great, but your personal experiences would be even better!  TIA

Re: Leaving For Maine Babymoon on Fri, Looking For Tips

• Sounds like a fun trip!  My restaurant recommendation for Portland is The Front Room.  This place is my absolute favorite!  It's a great spot and walking distance to the waterfront Eastern Prom area.  Enjoy your trip!  

• Ohh this sounds like a dream getaway! I love Maine. Great choices, this sounds so wonderful. 

My fav little spot for dinner in Portland is Street & Co. Its cozy and intimate and the food is terrific---locals start lining up early and that's for good reason! 

Boothbay is a fab little place to poke around. I would recommend driving out to Southport for dockside dinner at Robinsons Wharf/Tugs Pub. Great little place to sit outside, eat lobsters, and hopefully catch some live music.

Bar Harbor is awesome all around, highly recommend a day at Acadia National Park to check out the sights. Its gorgeous. Have popovers at the Jordan Pond House for lunch or afternoon tea.

• Loading the player...
  • imagemissusbee:

Ohh this sounds like a dream getaway! I love Maine. Great choices, this sounds so wonderful. 

My fav little spot for dinner in Portland is Street & Co. Its cozy and intimate and the food is terrific---locals start lining up early and that's for good reason! 

Boothbay is a fab little place to poke around. I would recommend driving out to Southport for dockside dinner at Robinsons Wharf/Tugs Pub. Great little place to sit outside, eat lobsters, and hopefully catch some live music.

Bar Harbor is awesome all around, highly recommend a day at Acadia National Park to check out the sights. Its gorgeous. Have popovers at the Jordan Pond House for lunch or afternoon tea.

We are planning to spend one of our Bar Harbor day's at Acadia.  We plan on driving up Cadillac Mt. for sunrise!   

• Good for you! Sunrise at Cadillac will be an experience you won't forget.

Don't forget to eat a lot of ice cream! Mount Desert Island Ice Cream has shops in Bar Harbor and Portland. 

Also, another thought is to head out on a windjammer or schooner cruise if you have the time/money/stomach for it. Those can be SO nice and a romantic way to experience Maine harbors. 

• Thanks everyone for your feedback and tips!  We definitely plan on eating lots of ice cream!  I have written down every place mentioned and we will check them out for sure!  Thanks!
  • If the sky is clear the 2 nights that you are in Bar Harbor drive into Acadia and star gaze. I had never seen so many! Acadia is constantly offering ranger programs, one night they had star gazing with a park ranger. It was on the beach, you bring your own blanket and the ranger points out different constellations and tells you what your looking at and some of the legends and stories behind them.

• imageMrsDonati:
    If the sky is clear the 2 nights that you are in Bar Harbor drive into Acadia and star gaze. I had never seen so many! Acadia is constantly offering ranger programs, one night they had star gazing with a park ranger. It was on the beach, you bring your own blanket and the ranger points out different constellations and tells you what your looking at and some of the legends and stories behind them.

This sounds amazing!  We will definitely do this.  I'm guessing that the star gazing farther north in Millinocket will be pretty amazing too!  The only possible drawback could be the full moon while in Bar Harbor, the sky will be a bit more lit up during most of our trip, but hopefully the stars will still shine through! 

• imagemissusbee:

I second blueberry popovers at the Jordan Pond House! Delicious post hike treat. We also had a nice, reasonably priced dinner there too! My favorite part of Maine was grabbing some blueberry wine from a local winery and hitting a lobster shack. Okay - this time around, you cannot do blueberry wine, but they also sold juices at the local wineries. Have fun! I loved our time in Bar Harbor (we honeymoon'd there) 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I live in southern Maine and am very familiar with the OOB and Portland area.  In Old Orchard, I recommend Joseph's By the Sea.  The majority of restaurants in the area are tourist traps but Joseph's is fine dining.  Also Hoss & Mary's is no frills but good (its the same owners as Tradewinds Cafe that was featured on the Food Network, known for their "Manimal Challenge") so could be worth checking out if you're into to that type of thing.  The Pier is very touristy - the bar at the end of it is expensive but has does have live music some nights.  Try the pier fries with vinegar and Rocco's pizza for a snack.  Bagel place on the main drag is pretty good for breakfast.  The Brunswick has an outdoor patio and usually has music.  Most of the nightclubs are kind of cheesy.  For a good lobster roll, I recommend driving to Bailey's in Scarborough and best fried clams are at Huot's in Camp Ellis - both a short drive away.  

Portland - the Old Port is really fun and has lots of restaurants and boutique shops.  Take a look at the lighthouses in the area - I got married at Spring Point Lighthouse (on the campus of Southern Maine Community College) and there is also Bug Light right around the corner.  If you want a real treat, take a drive to Cape Elizabeth and check out the Portland Headlight, which is gorgeous and has some nice picnic grounds etc.  For a beautiful view of the harbor and a gorgeous sunset, plus great food check out the Saltwater Grille - closeby to the Spring Point lighthouse.  For amazing organic food try Fore Street, located on Fore street which is where most of the lounge/bars are.  Brian Beru's is also a fun place to grab a beer.  For casual dining which a flair, try Nosh Kitchen Bar for unique burgers and their amazing bacon powder fries (also on the Food Network).  For amazing panoramic views of the city, grab a drink at the Eastland Park's Top of the East lounge (also serves lunch and late night, good food!)

Have fun!!  Maine is amazing!     

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • We live in NH and travel to Maine frequently, our favorite hole in the wall breakfast place is the omlet factory on rt 1 between wells and oquinquit. The kittery trading post is fun to shop, and we love wells beach and th beaches in kennebunk. Kennebunkport is really nice although expensive, bit GORGEOUS!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagemegsaw:
    We live in NH and travel to Maine frequently, our favorite hole in the wall breakfast place is the omlet factory on rt 1 between wells and oquinquit. The kittery trading post is fun to shop, and we love wells beach and th beaches in kennebunk. Kennebunkport is really nice although expensive, bit GORGEOUS!

We usually stay in Ogunquit when we visit Maine and have been to the Omlet Factory!  We are really excited to be venturing up the coast more!  But we will for sure be stopping at the trading post on our way home.  We usually spend at least an hour or 2 there.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"