Baby Showers
Options

Etiquette for "forgotten" gift

This sounds horrible, but I just had my baby shower Saturday and I have forgotten what someone got me! My sister was keeping track of the gifts and who got me what, but she forgot to write one down. I know I opened SOMETHING from my husband's aunt & cousin, but I can't remember what it was!

What is the etiquette for this? Do I write a vague thank you card? Do I dare ask them what they got us? And if I should write a vague thank you, how would I word it?

Thanks!

Re: Etiquette for "forgotten" gift

• Options
    LorMorLorMor member
    I'd just be honest and polite and say what you said here. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Go through everything you got; cross off what you know was given by someone and whatever is left would be from her.
    imageimage
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    lewispmlewispm member

I have gone through most of the big things, the trouble is that some people got us bags of small things and it is hard to remember what is what since my sisters list simply says things like: "bath stuff" or "clothes/books". Its hard to really eliminate everything when she wasn't extremely specific. I am pretty sure they got something small, but it could have been clothes, books, pacis, lotions, etc!

ETA: We didn't take many pictures at all, at least not of the gift opening. I will definitely get my mom and sister involved though. Maybe one will remember or be able to jog my own memory.

• Options
    I think that assuming you are close with everyone at your shower (right??), you could bring it up to them tactfully. "Oh my gosh, I am just dying, but I was so overwhelmed at the shower I just can't remember what you got me! Will you ever forgive me??" Then when you write the thank you note, you can be humble and cute or even joke about your preggo-brain, but at least you can still be sincere. Nobody wants a generic "Thank you for your generous baby gift" note.
  • Options

imagepregnantchick:
    I would send them a note thanking them for coming to the shower, how much it meant to you that they were there and how nice it was to see them, then thank them for the wonderful baby gift and say how much you appreciate the gift and how it helps in preparing for the arrival of the baby, etc.

this

• Options
    Liz4444Liz4444 member
    Could your MIL call and say something like, 'I have a shower to go to and you got lewispm the cutest thing, she's busy and I don't want to bother her, could you tell me the brand and what it's called?'
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options

imagepregnantchick:
    I would send them a note thanking them for coming to the shower, how much it meant to you that they were there and how nice it was to see them, then thank them for the wonderful baby gift and say how much you appreciate the gift and how it helps in preparing for the arrival of the baby, etc.

yep, this.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagepregnantchick:

This sounds perfect to me!

• Options

imagepregnantchick:

YesThis!

Keep growing preemie ballerina! Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Premature Baby tickers image
  • Options

imagepregnantchick:

This is exactly what I would do!  I wouldn't directly bring up the fact that I forgot what their gift was.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageLiz4444:
    Could your MIL call and say something like, 'I have a shower to go to and you got lewispm the cutest thing, she's busy and I don't want to bother her, could you tell me the brand and what it's called?'

This could really backfire "Um, it's called a blanket and I knitted it myself" 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Natural miscarriage @ 5w2d 5/25/11 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagepregnantchick:

Yes  Perfect!!!

Renee- 37 DH - Chad - 39
    2/06 - surprise pregnancy - twins
    3/06 - m/c 1st baby at 6 weeks 
    5/06 -2nd baby had no heartbeat at 14 wks.
    D&E - Bled out. Blood transfusions. Week in ICU - Cheated Death!
    Diagnosis: Blood clotting and bleeding disorder, immune issues, & cervical stenosis
    5/10 - 1st IVF cycle - BFN
    FET - 10/12/10 - BFN
    1/11 - IVF with PGD - BFN
    IVF - May - BFN
    6/11 New RE - fingers crossed!
    9/11 - IVF - 4 transferred
    10/13 - BFP!!
    It's a boy! Clint Michael, Due in June!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"