May 2012 Moms

Induction and food

I now have a date set for induction - Friday at noon. I feel like I have gotten mixed responses from my doctors office about eating before. I thought my dr. said I could eat lightly before but her nurse told me I couldn't eat 8 hours before or drink 6 hours before. I am thinking it would be better to eat something for the energy.

If I call back, I know I will have to talk to the nurse (who I hope is the wrong one) and I called alot yesterday trying to get my induction set. What have you ladies been told?

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Induction and food

• I was told no food or liquid after midnight. I had a late snack of Greek yogurt. They hydrated me so well, I wasn't thirsty at all. I had him too late for lunch, but they brought me juice and water and when that stayed down, they brought me a sandwich. I pretty much inhaled dinner and breakfast, lol.

Now, when my induction Friday was delayed (before it was cancelled), I was told I could have clear liquids: jello, popscicles, broth, water, Sprite to get some calories and keep my stomach from eating itself. 

• MrsWPMrsWP member
    I don't know why they would' want you to eat but I'd break the rule.  My birthing class instructor told us to have a carb loaded meal before going to the hospital if we have time. She said just like an athlete loads up on carbs before a big game that we should load up for the energy.  trust me.. you'll be starving as soon as labor is over no matter how much you eat.
  • Loading the player...
  • This time I was induced at 7 am and was told clear liquids were ok for breakfast (and even lunch per my dr).  Personally I would eat something light even if it is just chicken broth, I was hungry by lunch time and baby did not come till 4:30...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was induced at 8pm on a Tuesday night starting with Cervadil and was told I could eat dinner as usual beforehand.  Maybe because they weren't planning on starting Pitocin until the next morning?  I'm glad I did because I didn't deliver until THURSDAY at 8am and went through two rounds of Pitocin...  so it was a long haul and all I was given at the hospital was a "liquid diet" (chicken broth, jello, and some "fortified liquid drink" that had vitamins in it).  Needless to say, I was pretty hungry after :)

Your doctor should advise you and I'm guessing it will depend on what the plan is with you (Pitocin right away etc.)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker

• I'm also being induced on Friday at 7Am. I'm 3cm so no cervadil and they just told me that I can have a light breakfast before I come in, a bagel etc but nothing too heavy. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I was told light dinner the night before and drink lots of water all day. After midnight only sips of clear liquids. I had to be at the hospital for 6 and they started me on pit at 7:40. My doctor figured I'd have a baby by noon and he was born at 12:08! If I'd thought it would take longer I would have brought post labor snacks, although there were plenty of dining options around had I finished when room service was not available. Man, I devoured that (quite good) hospital pizza and salad snd lemon square!

I did have some black coffee (is "clear" if no milk) when I got up so I could go to the bathroom before we left! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"