Food Allergy
Options

Soy challenge frustrations

We did a soy challenge on Thursday at our allergist's office using a soy-based formula. (For some background, we had a "possible" reaction to the skin test for soy but the RAST came back negative for soy). The challenge went well, they monitored her for an hour and a half, and the rest of the day was fine.

Friday, she started developing a diaper rash, and by Friday evening, it quickly escalated to a raw bleeding rash in about a 2-inch area around her anus. The three-day weekend was already in effect so we took her to a pediatric urgent care, where the doctor essentially didn't believe that the rash was brand new because it was so bad and subtley accused me of being negligent in her hygeine (ie, not changing diapers, "letting" the rash get this bad, etc). So we got some fancy expensive diaper cream, which we've been using.

I am still playing phone tag with my allergist, but how would you handle this? Assume we have a soy allergy? Should I cut it out of my diet for breastfeeding purposes? I had introduced sweet potatoes and bananas over a two-week period prior, and have also discontinued those in case they were causing any problems; was this a good idea?

BLAH I am so frustrated with these dang allergies. I feel like I had just gotten my anxiety under control and I am a mess all over again. It really didn't help being blatantly not believed by the urgent care pedi. It made me feel like we really are such an odd-ball case that we aren't even believable. Pity party for one over here, hugs appreciated.

Mom to E, 11/2011 - Severe egg & dairy allergies, soy intolerance *** Stepmom to G, 2001

Re: Soy challenge frustrations

• Options

I have no experience, but HUGS to you!

Hopefully someone will have some advice.And it's really unfortunate how medical people sometimes treat us,moms.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"