Breastfeeding
Options

So bummed

Hello all! Sorry to be whining about my low supply once again, but nobody seems to understand why I'm so bummed. I have been an EPer  since ds was a week old bc he did not seem to latch on to my large nipples so my SIL was an EPer so I became one too. I never really minded the pumping. I liked seeing how much he was eating and I had the freestyle so I did things while I was pumping. I produced about 55 oz and started dropping pumps at 12 weeks then 16 after researching when it was ok. Still maintained a good supply. Then at 5 months, AF came and my supply did a nosedive. I took fenugreek, mothers milk tea, rented a hospital grade pump, woke up in the MOTN, you name it. Nowvim down to practically nothing. My DH is supportive and keeps saying its not my fault, that he is happy and healthy and that's all that matters but I want to cry every time I buy formula at the store. I know there is absolutely nothing wrong with formula, so I don't know why I am so upset by this. I really warned to make it a year like my SIL did without a problem (she never even pumped in the MOTN not even in the first few weeks). I know everybody's different but I feel like a failure. I want him to have the best start in life possible and I can't give that to him. I am it sure why this happened. My SIL said I have really large nipples. The Medea x large flanges still are airtight around my nipples so maybe that's it? I feel guilty I didn't bf from the start maybe that's why? 

Does anybody have any positive stories about BFing or EPing the second time around that was more successful than the first!? I am not pregnant; just wondering. What did you do differently?

Is my feeling of being so upset normal or am I being hormonal ( that's another thing. AF is coming every 2 weeks. Emailed the doc yesterday). Thanks for listening once again.

Re: So bummed

• Options
    With my 1st child I had lots of emotional issues with PPD and my milk supply just would never get evened out then I got mastitis REALLY bad so the dr recommend I quit  BF so I could be medicated.  I felt the exact same way you are right now!!!!!  I only BF for 1 month and felt like such a failure and that I was letting my baby down.  My OB dr and my babys dr both made me feel better telling me any BFing is better than none so that made me feel better.  But everytime she got sick that 1st year I felt like it was my fault because she wasn't being BF but you know what? I had 2 friends BFing at the same time and their kids were just as sick as mine so I guess it didn't make a difference.  I know the same feeling about buying formula, I am fighting BFing my second right now and am contemplating stopping because it is not going well at all!  My goal is 3 months (till I go back to work) because I don't have enough breaks in the day to pump enough so I am at peace with that.  Just remember there is nothing wrong with formula, it will be ok!  GL
  • Options

I EP'd with DD1 because we had latching issues, but I'm one of those people whose body doesn't respond well to the pump, so I ended up with supply problems.  I was able to give LO 50-75% breastmilk for the first six months, and then my supply totally crapped out.

With DD2 I had an awesome LC who helped me overcome all of our problems (short nipples, tongue tie, jaundice, slow weight gain), and I'm still nursing DD2 (she's 15 months old).  I've had no supply problems this time, so, yes, it's very possible to have a different experience the next time around.  

I felt like I knew so much more about bfing the second time around, and I just got help early and was very careful not to follow "advice" that would end up sabotaging bfing.  It's totally normal to be upset--I still feel guilty that bfing didn't work out with DD1.  EPing is hard work!  You should be proud of yourself for making it as long as you have.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    janamgjanamg member
    Look at it in a positive light. You were able to give your baby BM for 5mos. that is GREAT! You are not a failure you did your best and some is better then none. Good job EPing for that long some mother's wouln't have even tried. So I say brava to you momma!
  • Options
    Thanks everybody. I know the guilt will go away with time. Thanks for listening.
  • Options

imagejanamg:
    Look at it in a positive light. You were able to give your baby BM for 5mos. that is GREAT! You are not a failure you did your best and some is better then none. Good job EPing for that long some mother's wouln't have even tried. So I say brava to you momma!

THIS!:)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"