Toddlers: 24 Months+

Scared of public restrooms

My son has done better than I ever imagined potty training and he has it all down pat except for public restrooms! He has been scared of the loud flush since he was a baby. I've tried taking him in there to show him it won't flush unless I flush it (but I can't control when other people are in there and flush) but he freaks out as soon as we walk in and refuses to go! I had considered getting a traveling potty, but there may be times when we can't make it out to the car. Has anyone had any experience with this? Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Scared of public restrooms

• My 8 year old still hates the automatic flush and covers her ears when it flushes.  To help with the auto flush, I've heard that people put post it notes on the sensor.  But since your son hates other people flushing too, the one thought I had was noise cancelling earphones or something else that will soften the noise.

• MJ317MJ317 member

It's not just the auto he's scared of. I have put some post it notes in his bag though, I've just got to convince him to use it first! I had thought about the headphones but I don't really know if it would work since he gets scared just going in there bc he knows it's coming. I thought about spending a day out and visiting a bunch of different bathrooms and letting him flush with his foot (the toilets that have the handle that stick out).

• Loading the player...
  • I feel your pain!  My son is 3.5, and just trained and between the hand dryers and the sound of the toilets flushing, he cries.  We keep trying, but he ends up convincing himself that he doesn't have to go.  Also not good.  Not sure what to do...
    O 10.08 & MJ 6.10
  • I don't have any suggestions, but I've been wondering about the same thing.  We aren't pushing potty training yet, but he loves to use the potty at home so I don't want him scared when it comes time to use a public restroom.  In our case, it's the hand dryers he's scared of.  We were out shopping this weekend and I changed his diaper once and he was shaking and whimpering the whole time.  The next time he needed a diaper change, he didn't want to go anywhere near the bathroom.  I finally had to take him to the car to change his poopy diaper because he was absolutely terrified to even get within 15 feet of the bathroom and the line for the family restroom was very long.
    It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We started in single-person restrooms, to get him over that fear of going outside the house. We have his special potty seat, too. But, what really did it was some public-bathroom-only special toys I bought from the $1 spot at Target. Now he'll go on the public potty and not want to get off because he wants to play with the toys!
  • MrsSRMrsSR member

Can you put the headphones on before going in?

Or try something silly like a superhero cape, no fear spray, I'm invisible sunglasses???

• MJ317MJ317 member
    imageMrsSR:

Can you put the headphones on before going in?

Or try something silly like a superhero cape, no fear spray, I'm invisible sunglasses???

Those are good ideas!! He randomly told me last night he wants to go tee-tee at Target (our fav store). So I told him we'd go this weekend and if he pottied he'd get a prize. He asked me if it was going to be loud and I told him for just a second and only when we make it loud. The suggestion about the single rooms is a good idea too! Thanks ya'll!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"