November 2011 Moms
Options

I thought I got off easy (breastfeeding)

up until this point, BF has been fairly smooth for us. I had a great LC early on, which I know contributed to us doing so well.

since we are six months in, I figured it's smooth sailling from here on out, right?

I am pretty sure I have a clogged duct - pain, lumpy breast, etc. It's so painful I am not sleeping well. I have been doing everything I should - hot showers, massage, nursing in different positions.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I know why it did - ds suddenly started sleeping almost 11 hours in a row! Or waking only once and it used to be twice. I was waking up engorged and now this. ugh.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

Re: I thought I got off easy (breastfeeding)

• Options
    This has happened to me twice and it sucks... one time even before she was born and then once probably about 2 months ago. You're doing everything right to unclog it... unfortunately even after you relieve the clogged duct it can take a couple days to stop being sore. Hope it gets better.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

When I went back to work and DD started sleping through the night, in the same week, I had nonstop breast issues.  It's not fun at all!! 

Have you tried using a heating pad right before you nurse/pump?  That's what worked for me.  I've also heard that just getting a diaper wet and putting it in the microwave is an easy fix if you don't have a heating pad.  Just keep it up, it took me a couple days to clear it up. 

BFP #1 August 2007, Lost Nov 2007, no heartbeat found at anatomy ultrasound at 19 wks
    BFP #2 March 2011, Baby Girl born November 2011!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Do you pump at all? If so, could u add one night session?
  • Options
    jasnemjasnem member

imagemama&baby:
    Do you pump at all? If so, could u add one night session?

I agree with this. I pump before I go to bed, so it's only about 8 hours until I feed LO in the morning instead of 11 which is how much she sleeps. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our Rainbow Baby after 2 early m/c.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Options
    I still get them occasionally- I got one Saturday and managed to work it out before it got too bad...but I've had several at once that took about a week to work out. Warm heat, massage, lots of pumping/nursing. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    The same thing happened to me when LO started STTN. The only thing that worked for me is lots of nursing. I would also do minor compressions while he nursed. I also put LO on the floor and nursed him on all fours. It sounds strange, but I think all things combined helped unclog the duct. Good luck!

• Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member

thanks everyone. I don't know if it's gone or not (it's still a bit sore, but better) but I am getting there.

I do pump - but have only been doing an ounce or so at night, because I don't want my body to keep producing so much milk at night. Just enough so I am comfortable enough to sleep!

thanks for everyones feedback.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    Ugh I've lost count how many times I've had clogged ducts.  The only thing that works for me is nursing.  It usually takes 24 hours before it's gone.  Just be aware of mastitis symptoms...I've that as well and it's rough.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"