Northern California Babies

Moving to the Bay Area-looking for recommendations

Hi Bay Area Mommies,I'm visiting from NY...

We may be moving to the Bay Area this Fall.

We're looking for place (to rent first) near SF, that's family friendly, has a downtown area with shops,good schools.We'd like to stay close to SF because eventually, I'd be going back to work, DH's company is also in the city.

DH is from the South Bay, that's where his family still lives.He also has relatives in San Carlos.But they're not overly familiar with towns other than the ones they live in so I'm hoping, that some of you can recommend places to live.

Thank you! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Moving to the Bay Area-looking for recommendations

• I've only been in the Bay Area for about 2 years and before that I was also from the east coast (NYC and Boston).  The biggest difference I have found so far between California and NY is that the schools can vary DRAMATICALLY from district to district.  Some are fantastic.  Some are really not.  Check out a site such as greatschools.org to see specifics.  Also, the housing prices are very much related to how good the school district is so if you want the top school, be aware it will cost top dollar in living costs.

Personally I would say the best bang for your buck is going to be the East Bay but be aware it can take a while to get into SF.  BART (the commuter rail) is an option but it doesn't go everywhere in SF so depending on where your office is, it might not be convenient.  Within the East Bay, I would recommend you check out the following towns for their downtown shopping area, good schools, and BART accessibility:

- Orinda
    - Moraga
    - Lafayette
    - Walnut Creek
    - Pleasanton
    - Dublin

If you decide you're willing to give up BART access, check out these towns:

- Alamo
    - Danville
    - San Ramon

If you're really set on being close to SF, check out these but check the schools first as some can be spotty:

- Berkeley
    - Everyville
    - Albany

Good luck!!

imageimage

• imagemelindam:

I've only been in the Bay Area for about 2 years and before that I was also from the east coast (NYC and Boston).  The biggest difference I have found so far between California and NY is that the schools can vary DRAMATICALLY from district to district.  Some are fantastic.  Some are really not.  Check out a site such as greatschools.org to see specifics.  Also, the housing prices are very much related to how good the school district is so if you want the top school, be aware it will cost top dollar in living costs.

Personally I would say the best bang for your buck is going to be the East Bay but be aware it can take a while to get into SF.  BART (the commuter rail) is an option but it doesn't go everywhere in SF so depending on where your office is, it might not be convenient.  Within the East Bay, I would recommend you check out the following towns for their downtown shopping area, good schools, and BART accessibility:

- Orinda
    - Moraga
    - Lafayette
    - Walnut Creek
    - Pleasanton
    - Dublin

If you decide you're willing to give up BART access, check out these towns:

- Alamo
    - Danville
    - San Ramon

If you're really set on being close to SF, check out these but check the schools first as some can be spotty:

- Berkeley
    - Everyville
    - Albany

Good luck!!

Thank you so much! 

• Loading the player...
  • We just moved to the east bay from NY (long island) in October.  My husband commutes into the city every day.  We are currently in corporate housing in Walnut Creek right across from the Pleasant Hill Bart station.  I hate apartment living but it makes my husbands commute very convenient.  If you would like to talk in detail please feel free to send me a PM and I will give you my info.  I know it would have been very helpful when we made the move to have someone to talk to beforehand. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagerach10782:
    We just moved to the east bay from NY (long island) in October.  My husband commutes into the city every day.  We are currently in corporate housing in Walnut Creek right across from the Pleasant Hill Bart station.  I hate apartment living but it makes my husbands commute very convenient.  If you would like to talk in detail please feel free to send me a PM and I will give you my info.  I know it would have been very helpful when we made the move to have someone to talk to beforehand. 

Thanks,Pm-d you. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"