December 2012 Moms

Told to stop taking Progestrone 10 weeks, freaking out a bit.

Hello everyone,

I am happy to say that I will be 10 weeks pregnant tomorrow. I was advised to stop taking my progestrone supplements at the 10 week mark. I am having mixed feelings about this as I have read on other posts that stopping progestrone at 12 weeks is more common since the placenta takes over at 10-12 weeks. Is anyone else in my shoes right now and having mixed feelings? Does this seem right? Should  I not worry? I have had cramping, nothing severe and no spotting throughout my entire pregnancy thus far and after my ultrasound at 6.5 weeks, one baby  looked great and the other had a low heart rate, will know if I am definatly having twins during my second ultrasound on June 16th, I guess I'm just worried and need some reassurance.

Re: Told to stop taking Progestrone 10 weeks, freaking out a bit.

• I was told to wait until 12 weeks.. but I'm not a Dr. I would ask your Dr. why they think 10 weeks is the time to stop?! Also you could ask if you can continue to 12 weeks if you are that worried. GL!
  • My RE told me that I could stop taking progesterone at 10 weeks too. I was completely apprehensive about stopping so I made a personal choice to continue until 12 weeks. My OB didn't say anything when I told her I was still taking it so I'm going to continue. Now I'm not in the medical profession so I can't encourage you to do what I've done, but it may help to discuss these feelings with your OB and see if they'll be okay with you continuing until 12 weeks.

Hope that helps! 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Second Birthday tickers

BFP#1:MC 8/20/2010| BFP#2:MC 7/9/2011| BFP#3:DD born 12/14/2012

• Loading the player...
  • +SMACE++SMACE+ member

i know youre nervous but your body has been doing the work thus far. there is no concrete evidence that progesterone sustains a pregnancy that would otherwise end in loss. doctors give it to patients as a "well, it can't hurt, so take it" method. 

it will be ok.  

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I too am on progesterone, and at my appointment today, my doctor reminded me to continue taking the supplements through week 12. I agree with the other responses that you should discuss with your doctor but definitely make it clear to them that you would feel better to continue to 12 weeks.
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The nurse at my RE's clinic told me to stop crinone at 7w2d. That was the same day that we had our first u/s and saw two healthy babies. I double checked with my RE, and he agreed with the nurse that I could stop the crinone. They both told me that the placenta takes over between seven and eight weeks.
    Twins November 2012!

• imagecelestefelice:
    I too am on progesterone, and at my appointment today, my doctor reminded me to continue taking the supplements through week 12. I agree with the other responses that you should discuss with your doctor but definitely make it clear to them that you would feel better to continue to 12 weeks.

Me too.  If you will be less stressed out by taking it for two more weeks, then I'd try to take it for two more weeks.  The decreased stress alone is probably worth it, even if like some PP's said it doesn't do everything they want it to.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • pamiva1pamiva1 member
    I took it until week 12 with DS and will take it for one more week (until 12.5) with this pg. I would ask for an extra two weeks. It won't hurt and I think stopping in the 12th week is more common.
    m/c March 2009 @ 5 weeks ~ m/c June 2009 @ 10 weeks ~ m/c February 2012 @ 4.5 weeks Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I was told to stop my suppositories around 12 weeks and if she'd told me 10 weeks, I'd have kept taking them til 12 anyway...I don't believe there's any harm in doing so. The nurses reassured me that the placenta has totally taken over by 12 weeks. I take suppositories twice a day and was taking a shot...they told me to stop the shot at 6 weeks and I just about fell apart. But they were right Wink...things are still looking good!
  • I was on the progesterone injections, but my RE told me to stop at 7 weeks. I freaked out too, especially since I heard a lot of others continuing until 10 to 12 weeks.  My RE said some newer research suggests the extra hormone might not be good to continue if you have a boy fetus.  Nevertheless, I decreased my dose slowly over one more week instead of stopping cold turkey. That was several weeks ago now and everything's fine.
  • I did twice daily suppositories from implantation to 7 1/2 weeks.  Shots once a day until 8 1/2 weeks.  And Shots every other day until 10 1/2 weeks.  I was very scared to go off the shots, but my RE said they wouldn't be taking me of of them if it was dangerous for me or baby.  Everything will be ok!  Just try and trust your RE, and believe me I know that is hard to do!
    IAmPregnant Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • MelleTXMelleTX member

I am on suppositories and PIO injections until 11 weeks. So many Drs do it differently. From what I understand, by 8-10 weeks, what you are adding in progesterone supplementation is the equivalent of spitting into a swimming pool. Stopping now won't even cause a dip in your levels. 

I won't stop early because I am a compulsive rule follower, but I am definitely counting down the days. There will be no weaning either. When I hit 11w0d, I will be done! I even asked my RE if 11 weeks meant I take my last injection on 10w6d or on 11w0d.  

Single Mother by Choice. Life didn't work out the way I planned so I did it on my own. IUI #s 1-3, unmedicated = BFN, IUI #s 4-6, 50mg Clomid, Ovidrel = BFN IVF #1: 23R, 20M, 17F. 5 day transfer 2 blasts. 2 Snowbabies BFP 6dp5dt, Beta #1 7dp5dt = 58, Beta #2 9dp5dt = 114, Beta #3 10dp5dt = 187 1st Ultrasound = 5/3, not much to see yet. 2nd Ultrasound = 5/17, TWINS!!! Hospital Bed Rest at 32 weeks due to pre-ecclampsia and severe edema. Audrey Grace, 5lbs9oz, & Lydia Louise, 6lbs, born via emergency c-section on 12/6/12 at 36w1d My IVF Journey
  • AckamyAckamy member

Thank you everyone for the advice. I haven't taken any progestrone today and after speaking with my husband will trust my RE. I feel crampy today but i've felt that way throughtout my first trimester, probably the uterus making room.

This is so nerve racking, can't wait for 2nd ultrasound and finally reach the 12 week mark. Best wishes to you all and thanks again :)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"