November 2011 Moms
Options

Germs! Covers? Wipes? Nothing at all?

I've never been a germaphobe when it comes to me (I wash my hands, but don't worry about much else - don't usually use anti-bacteria gel/wipes/etc, don't think too much about what I touch, etc), but have been conflicted about DD and germs...a little exposure is good vs. who knows what is out there?!?!  Smile 

I've gone back and forth, back and forth about getting a cart/highchair cover for her.  I ended up getting one last week because she was so tiny in the restaurant high chair that I justified it as padding to help her in the chair and carts.  Well....the one I bought doesn't fit the Target cart so it's going back and I'm back wondering if I should buy another one or not.

What do you all do?  Do you have cart/highchair covers?  Does it fit on the Target cart?  Do you wipe down carts/chairs before LO goes in?  What kind of wipes do you use (I know some stores sometimes have them, sometimes don't....so do you carry some around with you?)?  Do you just plop LO down and germs be darned! 

Also, now that I have DD out of her carrier more, she definitely getting more handsy with things.  What do you use to wipe LO's hands when out?  I don't know if baby wipes are good because her hands always end up in her mouth - are they safe enough?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Germs! Covers? Wipes? Nothing at all?

• Options

Floppy Seat!  Highly recommend it!  Fits on target carts, high chairs, etc.  the only one it doesnt fit on is BJs carts b/c they are double wide. 

I can't remember the brand of wipes I use but they are alcohol free and i got them at babies r us. Babyganics brand maybe?  Not sure...but I got a huge bag of single packaged ones and they are white and green on the otuside. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

We use a shopping cart cover (https://www.target.com/p/Eddie-Bauer-Reversible-Cart-High-Chair-Cover-Blue-Green/-/A-13301719?ref=tgt_adv_XSG10001&AFID=Froogle_df&LNM=|13301719&CPNG=baby&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=13301719 ). It fits on every cart I've tried it on(Target, BJs, Food Lion, Walmart). DS wants to touch & taste everything now. I also wanted a "cushion" of sorts for him as opposed to the hard carts. We do use it in restaurant high chairs & just throw it in the washer when we come home if he gets finger foods on it.

I wipe him off with diaper wipes if he gets messy in public. I've never thought about it not being ok?

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJamiesWife2010:

I wipe him off with diaper wipes if he gets messy in public. I've never thought about it not being ok?

Maybe I'm just being over paranoid.  But as soon as I wipe her hands down, they end up immediately in her mouth....before they are even dry (LOL).  So I just didn't know if whatever is in normal baby wipes should be, um, ingested?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We use the floppy seat and love it, I originally got it becasue I wanted to make high chairs and cart seats more comfy for DS but it also helps with protecting him from germs, I don't wipe anything down because so far the floppy has covered everything completely.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I use the eddie bauer cover that works on target carts. I don't usually worry abou it for high chairs, but germs aren't my fear. When I was pregnant I got a cart that didn't have the plastic handle on it and apparently have a tendency to play with the holes in the handle. Kind of like a baby probably would. Well I ended up cutting my finger on the nasty thing and refuse to let LO have the opportunity to cut herself, especially on something so gross.
  • Options
    caffrincaffrin member
    I'm the same way! Before I had DS I specifically said I didn't need a shopping cart cover because I though it was doing too much and LO would be fine without one. Well now that he is here I must be more aware or how dirty and sick everyone else is because I can't imagine putting him in a shopping cart that isn't covered! I had got a cart cover at tarried but it was too small so I actually use it in the swings at the park. And then I got a floppy seat cover off CL and I loooove it! I use it at restaurants too because DS puts everything in his mouth, including the high chair. So I definitely would recommend the floppy seat. It's been big enough to cover every cart I've used (including the Costco carts).
         Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • Options

I bought a seat cover for DD1 and used it for a month.  It was annoying to pack and unpack at each visit.  I'm not worried.  I do wipe down restaurant high chairs though, those things are nasty!

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options
    Honestly, germs be darned, in my case. I do always carry a blanket with us, so I'll use that to cushion shopping carts and cover the handle if she starts to become interested in it. If a restaurant high chair looks gross, I'll wipe it with a wipe. Maybe I should be more concerned about germs, but she hasn't been sick yet so I guess I haven't thought about it too much.

- Ava -  11-29-11

- Violet -  10-9-13

• Options
    lkm2006lkm2006 member

I occasional use a cover. The only time I really get concerned about germs is when I'm grocery shopping because LO ties to gum at the handle and I know how many dirty hands have been there. 

I used it at first for extra cushion in highchairs buy not anymore.  

• Options

I'm so far from germaphobic.  I had a cart cover for DD1.  I think we used it a handful of times.  Mostly just when she was still wobbly because it had shoulder straps and held her up a bit better.  I didn't use it at all with DD2.  And haven't used it at all with DS.  I still wear him in the stores (back carry with a Beco) just because it is easier to have him with me in case I need to chase down another kid or take a kid potty or whatever. 

I don't wipe DSs hands when out and about.  They get washed if they are dirty.  :)

I will also say that my kids are rarely sick so whatever it is that I'm doing seems to be working.  I think giving their immune system constant small challenges helps to keep the big challenges from overwhleming them. 

Mama to Lucy (7/06), Lexi (5/09), and Max (11/11) M/C 12/17/10
  • Options
    I usually put LO in the Ergo when out and about. I have the Floppy Seat but have yet to use it. If I need to wipe his hands I'll use a baby wipe or Wet Ones.

• Options
    imageNatty13umppo:
    imageJamiesWife2010:

Maybe I'm just being over paranoid.  But as soon as I wipe her hands down, they end up immediately in her mouth....before they are even dry (LOL).  So I just didn't know if whatever is in normal baby wipes should be, um, ingested?

Good point..I'm interested about it now .

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    AllibobAllibob member

imagerubycitrine:
    I usually put LO in the Ergo when out and about. I have the Floppy Seat but have yet to use it. 

This. It's easier for me to have her in the Ergo than keep her from trying to grab and chew on everything. I put her in a high chair at restaurants, and haven't used anything. I just try to keep her distracted from chewing on the high chair.  

• Options
    We don't use a seat/cart cover.  If I think about it, I'll wipe down the cart usually with the wipes they have next to them.  I usually do wipe down restaurant high chairs with a diaper wipe.  I'm not too worried about it if I forget to do it though.  I was way more worried about this (and everything else, really) with DD than I am now.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"