September 2012 Moms
Options

EC - Anyone tried it/plan to try it?

I've been reading a lot lately about elimination communication (EC, diaper-free babies, whatever you want to call it). I'll admit initially it sounded crazy and kind of dumb to me. Potty training a newborn just doesn't seem reasonable. But we CD and come September I'll have 2 under 2, which means twice the diapers, twice the laundry, twice the poo-scraping. The more I read, the more I feel like maybe I could give it a shot. DD1 is still in the right age range to start (0-12 months) and of course I could do it with DD2 from birth. Even if I had minimal success and was washing 3-4 diapers a day per girl instead of 8-10, that would be a nice break.

Has anyone else considered trying this? Any 2+ moms attempted it with your older LOs? Am I insane for even entertaining the idea?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: EC - Anyone tried it/plan to try it?

• Options
    hmp1hmp1 member

It's not for me. I know there is a mom on one of my boards that did it with both her kids.  I think she is on 12-24 sometimes.

You should post this on the Eco Friendly board, you might get more responses for those that tried it or have done it successfully.  GL! 

James Sawyer 12.3.10
    Leo Richard 9.20.12 

• Options
    imagehmp&mrj:

It's not for me. I know there is a mom on one of my boards that did it with both her kids.  I think she is on 12-24 sometimes.

You should post this on the Eco Friendly board, you might get more responses for those that tried it or have done it successfully.  GL! 

Thanks! I'll do that.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Wow, I had never heard of that.  I don't think I would have the dedication, but hey, if you do then hats off to you!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

http://global.thebump.com/tickers/tickerticker.aspx?&TT=exp&TT1=exp&CL=40&CT=W&CG=F&O=m_baby1&T=t_e20&D=20140508&M1=&D1=20150212&T2=ahhhhhhhhhh!&T1=&T3=&CC=0&CO=&CO2=&W=&TS=&R=&SC=green
  • Options
    KarBearKarBear member
    I will not be doing it, but I have heard of it.  Have you thought how difficult it might be with 2 LOs, though.  I mean, you have to be very in-tune with your baby to do EC, right?  I just don't see how that's possible with 2, but best of luck.
  • Options
    I went to a potty training class when my daughter was 2, everyone in the class was there because they were having trouble potty training their kids (some of their kids were close 4 years old) then there was one woman who when it was her turn to tell her story starts with 'my daughter is 6 months old' and i was just floored.  I initially thought she was crazy, but she was having success and the woman running the class had nothing but positive things to say about it.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I didn't do EC, but I did potty train my DS at 24 months.  SO much easier than waiting until he was 3.  and now I will only have one child in diapers come september

View Full Size Image  View Full Size Image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imageKarBear:
    I will not be doing it, but I have heard of it.  Have you thought how difficult it might be with 2 LOs, though.  I mean, you have to be very in-tune with your baby to do EC, right?  I just don't see how that's possible with 2, but best of luck.

I was actually thinking I might stick with the traditional route with DD1 if it's too much. She's already used to the whole diaper thing. But if I had DD2 out of diapers by 1 like the EC proponents say is possible, then I could start potty training DD1 at 2 and maybe be done with diapers a lot sooner. It sounds great and at the same time impossible.

• Options

I did it with DS starting at 2 months because I hadn't heard of it before then. I don't think I would've done it any sooner though anyway. We absolutely loved it & so did DS. He'd go an entire day without using a single diaper. We never did it at night because I felt like we all needed sleep more than we needed to be out of diapers. Basically he decided he wasn't going to do it anymore around 11m because he was just getting really good at walking & was too busy. We've been almost exclusively in diapers since then, with maybe 1 or 2 times a day on the potty. He signs for potty when he goes in his diaper though, & generally wants to sit on the toilet when he goes. I'm hesitant to start pushing the EC again however, because we are moving overseas at the end of the week & all the changes are a recipe for frustration on everyone's part. He'll be fully in diapers until we're settled in, then I'm aiming for full time EC to see if maybe we can quit diapering before #2 arrives.... which I know sounds like a pipe dream, but whatever.

Also, the book Diaper Free Baby helped me understand what EC was all about & there are tons of websites if you google it that can help you out. I'm sure if I had pushed past that stage at 11m, he'd be out of diapers by now. We just had so much going on & I'm a slacker by nature. GL! 

DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
  • Options
    Oh & btw, once you learn the "cues" that babies have for urinating/defecating, its amazing to see but they're potty trained from birth! Its just a matter of deflecting negativity & pessimism from people who think you're nuts lol, & actually mustering energy to help your LO over to the bathroom when they cue (which can be pretty often when they're newborns).
    DS1- Jan 2011
    DS2- Sept 2012
    M/C- Sept 2011

2u2!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"