Babies: 9 - 12 Months

bikini for baby...

Yay or nay? I'm just curious because I received a TON of crap on facebook for admitting to putting my baby girl in a bikini. I don't see anything wrong with it....I think its cute!!! Am I the only one???
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket

Re: bikini for baby...

• I put DD in a bikini... I don't know, I grew up in Hawaii and saw plenty of babies in bikinis and have never thought twice about it. However, today at the pool a man came up to DH and I and said "Isn't that suit pretty sexy for a baby?" It was weird and he was there with his daughter who looked about 6 and was also in a bikini so I'm not sure who he thinks he is too judge... We certainly aren't trying to make our baby look "sexy" (Is that even possible?) we just got one because it looked so stinkin' adorable on her. I see naked babies at the beach (or just a swim diaper) ALL the time - how is a bikini any worse? I'd be more leary about having my 11 year old in a bikini than a baby but I really don't think it's a big deal. I'm sure I'm the minority though. It's a swimsuit and it looks adorable on DD and I think she looks like a little surfer girl in it! It's just for fun but some people take these things way too seriously and will definitely judge.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • nfrtnynfrtny member
    Nay. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't see a problem.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • I've always thought nay for bikini on a baby.  But my mom bought DD a tankini and when we're in the pool it creeps up to her neck...so we're constantly pulling it down.  Now I don't see the difference from a tankini to a bikini if it's going to show her whole top anyway!

Also, I think the word bikini conjures up the image of a woman in a skimpy swimsuit.  I bet if you'd said "two-piece swimsuit" there'd be no issue.  

• I have always put DD in a two piece basically because it was easier to change her swim diaper as a baby and as she got older it was easier for her to get her clothes on and off when they were wet.  I never put a string bikini on her or anything like that.  They were more tankini style than anything else.  I don't think that there is anything wrong with it as long as the skin that's exposed is lathered in sunblock to prevent burning.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I have a one piece and a two piece (tankini style) for dd, and the two piece is WAY easier to get her in and out of.  Try taking a wet 1 piece off a squirmy baby with a dirty diaper.  Not fun.  But I have also taken dd to the pool and dunked her in with just her cute plaid swim diaper and a hat on, without a top.  i don't think its a big deal, she keeps her shirt on while playing in the shade, but I wasn't going to mess around with a bathing suit for a quick dip.
  • I brought DD to a pool and she just wore the bikini bottom and no top.  She's a baby.  Who cares as long as she is slathered in sunblock (which she always is)?  I just don't see the big deal at all. 

Now when she gets a bit older she will be wearing a one piece. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I think it depends.  There are some that appear to be designed in a sexual way and I think those are so wrong.  DD has a rectangular top one that I think is cute.  But, she only wears it to swim lessons.  I wouldn't want to put her in it if we were swimming outside, only because it is more skin getting exposure to the sun.

• It's a yay for me. I can't imagine trying to change a diaper in a wet one piece. But I'm not talking a tiny triangle bikini either. I just mean a general, normal looking one LOL Plus, I think my DD's tummy is the cutest dang thing :)
    __________________________________________________________________________________________ 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers  
  • I was against it until I started potty training. 
  • I was born and raised in Europe...so we see things a little different there..

But even questioning it its insane in my opinion. There is no need to cover her up when there is nothing to cover. There is no difference between a baby girl and baby boy wearing only bottoms. My little man has baby boobs, I guess he should wear a two piece bathing suit.

I wouldnt care what people on facebook say, your little girl is just a baby, she will have plenty of years to cover herself up.

• I say yay. Usually Crash and I agree, but I don't see the big deal. I think the people who make a big stink over it(choosing not to use them and judging who uses them are different IMO) are the weirdos. Like pp said, my 11+ daughter will be wearing a one piece until she moves out;) I just don't see how someone can see it as anything but cute on babies.
  • I think they're fine. I didn't buy any this year, because I fell in love with a little one piece with a lady bug on it- then SIL bought her another one piece with a little tutu on it. If I found a cute bikini, I'd buy it. 

Spontaneous pregnancy #1
    DD1 July 31, 2011

Trying for #2 since Oct 11
    732973 Clomid Cycles
    2 IUIs 
    3 Fresh IVFs= 1 Ectopic treated with MTX
    Spontaneous pregnancy #2= Ectopic #2= lost left tube
    Spontaneous pregnancy #3= DD2 January 29, 2016
    Spontaneous pregnancy #4= Ectopic #3
    Spontaneous pregnancy #5= Baby #3 is a BOY!!! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not comfortable with them and DH agrees. DD has several one pieces and one tankini that provides full coverage.
  • I don't see a problem with them.  The two pieces are just so much easier trying to get LO in and out of.  The only reason I don't put LO in a two piece more often is the sunscreen.  There is just more areas for her to get sun burned.  I'm neurotic about LO getting sun burned so I feel like the one pieces give her a little more coverage from the sun.
  • WinkI say to each their own
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • I wouldn't put my (hypothetical) baby girl in a bikini.  I won't even really let my baby boy go out without a t-shirt/rashguard on, so I am sure I'd want the same for a girl. 

I also think baby girl suits like this are way cuter and way more practical than itty bitty bikini's. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I saw no. Bikinis are too sexual.
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • AMcLawsAMcLaws member

I guess I must be crazy or something....because I don't see a bikini as sexual. I mean, I don't look at a grown woman and think sexual thoughts just because she's in a bikini. To each her own. I don't wear them, but that's because I don't have the body type.

My DD does not wear triangle top bikinis. We also don't go swimming in a public place...we have a private pool. Most people here in AZ do, it seems. :p  We also go swimming in the late afternoon, when the pool is shaded over. That's to protect ALL of us from being fried in the harsh arizona sun. DD has 3 bathing suits (grandma spoils her!), 2 of them being bikinis, and one is a one piece.  I don't find one easier than the other to change her in and out of....squirmy babies are squirmy no matter what they're dressed in. I just think she's too darn cute, no matter what she's wearing!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Photobucket
  • Sounds like you need new FB friends...
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• imageStefandTodd:

I wouldn't put my (hypothetical) baby girl in a bikini.  I won't even really let my baby boy go out without a t-shirt/rashguard on, so I am sure I'd want the same for a girl. 

I also think baby girl suits like this are way cuter and way more practical than itty bitty bikini's. 

Where is this from? I want it for DD!

__________________________________________________________________________________________ 

• imageDeblondie1:
    imageStefandTodd:

I wouldn't put my (hypothetical) baby girl in a bikini.  I won't even really let my baby boy go out without a t-shirt/rashguard on, so I am sure I'd want the same for a girl. 

That particular one is from children's place (on sale for $12 right now, in select sizes!).  I just found it by googling "Rashguard two-piece baby"...it's the first one that popped up with a photo under "shopping results for..." but Target has them, and the first one I saw in person was at Gymboree, I think.  Made me want a little girl when I saw it...so cute ;)

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imageStefandTodd:
    imageDeblondie1:
    imageStefandTodd:

That particular one is from children's place (on sale for $12 right now, in select sizes!).  I just found it by googling "Rashguard two-piece baby"...it's the first one that popped up with a photo under "shopping results for..." but Target has them, and the first one I saw in person was at Gymboree, I think.  Made me want a little girl when I saw it...so cute ;)

Awesome! Thanks. We are going to the beach for Father's Day so I want more coverage than what we currently have for the backyard.  

• I'm totally against.

First, I want DD to get as little sun as possible. Her suit is a rash guard with swim shorts.  When she is older, I'll prob buy her long sleeve rash guards.  (We live on the coast and the sun is strong here)

Second, I don't want her to wear a bikini as long as she lives in my house. I believe modesty is the best. 

• I don't necessarily think a bikini is "too sexy" for a baby, but it's more skin exposure to the sun as well as not practical since you will have to readjust the top all the time after picking her up.  I just didn't want to deal with that, so DD has one pieces.
  • imagelaurakaz13:

I brought DD to a pool and she just wore the bikini bottom and no top.  She's a baby.  Who cares as long as she is slathered in sunblock (which she always is)?  I just don't see the big deal at all. 

Now when she gets a bit older she will be wearing a one piece. 

I guess I think this way.  What's the POINT of a bikini top if it's not covering anything up?  I think it's just silly.  But I also see the argument of a 2 piece being easier... I have a DS, but I think I'd have them BOTH swim in bottoms only till they were out of diapers...

AND a ton of sunblock, of course...

TTCAL Siggy Challenge: "He's my favorite.  His birthday is the same as mine almost"

image image

Missing my little one lost at 9 weeks on 2.24.13. brokenhearted but not broken... 

d&c 5/21/13... Still Healing, Still Standing... 

MMC discovered 10/2/2013, TWINS... d&c 10/7/2013.  I still miss you, little ones. 

Surgery December 2013 to remove a 10+cm fibroid... Open myomectomy. Benched for 3-9 months... 
    Will TTC summer Summer 2014 we hope!

Dear God, Since I couldn't hold my little one in my lap and tell him about you, could you hold him in your lap and tell him about me? 

PgAL and PAL always welcome...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"