High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Ladies with hypothyroidism.

I have hypothyroidism and I have been trying to get pregnant for 7 months. I also keep track of all my ovulation and period information on my iphone. It has always predicted the correct date of my period. Even though I have hypothryoidism it has never caused me to skip a period.

My period is now 2 days late and I took a test and it came back not pregnant, but I am wondering can my hypothyroidism cause me to have lower hcg levels. Or can it cause the test to not be accurate?

I'm hoping im posting this in the right place since hypothyroidism in pregnancy is considered a high risk pregnancy if you can suggest a different board to post on that would be appreciated too.

Re: Ladies with hypothyroidism.

• Options

Are you actually charting your basal body temperature to determine ovulation? Even if most of your cycles are every predictable, you can still have one that's off and you ovulate very late or very early. While TTC I had once cycle where I O'd on day 9, and one where I O'd on day 21. The cycle we conceived, it was day 16. I highly recommend reading up on BBT tracking and other fertility monitoring options ("Taking Charge of Your Fertility" is a GREAT resource, it's a book).

Are you controlled with medication? We were TTC for some time and then stopped for a while. During that break, I asked to have my thyroid checked, since years ago I was told it was borderline underactive. Sure enough it was full on hypo by that point so I started medication. Two months after starting the meds, I got pregnant. I had been ovulating normally prior to that but I definitely think getting my levels under control helped quite a bit.

Once you do get pregnant your doctor will probably want to check your levels and quite possibly adjust your medication to increase the dosage; this is common in pregnant women. Mine has been fine up until last week, when I got rechecked and they decided to increase me...  before that, my pre pregnancy dose was enough. There's nothing about hypothyroidism that would make a pregnancy test not as accurate or affect your HCG levels, though. This is a fine place to post, and you could also post on Trying To Get Pregnant as well--just don't venture onto Trouble TTC until you have tried for at least a year.

Our Squishy - 8/21/12
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    blog! thescenery.net
  • Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    I was diagnosed hypothyroid in 1998 and have been on meds ever since. I was on the same dose from 1999 until the beginning of this pregnancy. Now it's a smidge higher and I'm not liking the effects (hair loss dry skin... Talking to ob Wednesday). Anyway, I had no issues TTC. BFP on cycle three with DS and cycle one with this one. In all my reading, I have never come across anything saying a pregnancy test could be affected by thyroid hormone. My repro endo and infertility text backs this up. As other pp said, unless you do BBT or OPK you can't know exactly when you're ovulating. And it could be an off month where your cycle is out of whack. I always waited until my period was a week late to test because of this. My period either came within that week or I got a BFP. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I have hypothyroidism and as long as you are on the right level of synthroid and your TSH is close to 1, you are fine. Once you are pregnant, you will want to increase your dose of levothyroxine by about 50% (take 1.5 pills) until you get in with an endocrinologist, which should be as soon as possible so that you can be monitored monthly until your level is settled and then each trimester. But that's it. There isn't much that is high risk about it.
    imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    KadyraKadyra member
    Do not change your pill dose before being seen by a licensed physician. It is dangerous to increase your thyroid hormone pill by more than 25mcg every six weeks.  It puts strain on your heart.  Many times it's not necessary at all to change your dose in pregnancy. It all depends on your lab values. 
    Photobucket Lilypie Premature Baby tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options

imageKadyra:
    Do not change your pill dose before being seen by a licensed physician. It is dangerous to increase your thyroid hormone pill by more than 25mcg every six weeks.  It puts strain on your heart.  Many times it's not necessary at all to change your dose in pregnancy. It all depends on your lab values. 

I totally agree with this.  Wait until your doctor changes your dosage to adjust your meds.  I was diagnosed in 2004 and was put on 75 mcg of Levothyroxine.  When I was having issues getting pregnant my RE increased my dosage to 100 mcg because she wanted my levels down below 1.  I got pregnant 3 months later and was on 100 mcg until after I had my son.  My doctor then dropped my dosage back down to 75 mcg, which I was on when I got pregnant with DD.  I've stayed on the same dosage with my numbers sitting around .41, which is really good.

The moral to my story is that your doctor will not necessarily need to change your meds, so I wouldn't change it unless I was advised by a doctor.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I had no issues getting pregnant...I got pregnant during my first cycle TTC three times, although I miscarried very early once.  My dr. has tested, but not changed my thyroid meds during either of my two pregnancies.

However, I have gotten my BFPs VERY late with all three pregnancies.  I was already having painful miscarriage symptoms by the time I got a BFP with my loss, my other positive tests came around 16-18 days after ovulating. 

I have no idea if any of this is related to my thyroid, but wanted to share my story, just in case it could be of some use...

• Options
    ValeryValery member
    My reproductive endo liked to keep my thyroid at or below 2 preferably in the 1 range. I'm currently fighting with my OB because he thinks my level of 2.46 is fine, but I know my body and when it starts to creep up I start feeling terrible! I'm pregnant with twins and I'm worried that my Dr is not going to adequately treat my hypothyroid while I'm pregnant. I've had this problem in the past and my levels reeked havoc on my body! Good luck.  
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

imageValery:
    My reproductive endo liked to keep my thyroid at or below 2 preferably in the 1 range. I'm currently fighting with my OB because he thinks my level of 2.46 is fine, but I know my body and when it starts to creep up I start feeling terrible! I'm pregnant with twins and I'm worried that my Dr is not going to adequately treat my hypothyroid while I'm pregnant. I've had this problem in the past and my levels reeked havoc on my body! Good luck.  

And this is why I found a new OB when I was pregnant with DS.  My first OB didn't take my concerns about my thyroid or GD seriously, so I found one that does!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"