1st Trimester

Gestational Sac, Yolk Sac, but LOW hcg

So, my husband took me to the ER last night for severe abdominal pains, and while they were doing all the tests, the doctor got impatient and just went ahead with the ultrasound. He said I had the cyst on one ovary (that I guess you're supposed to have) and the gestational sac with the yolk sac, so he confirmed I was pregnant.

But when the blood test came back, it said my hcg lows were too low to be pregnant.

Um, what? You just saw my growing baby, and now I'm not pregnant? O_O Plus, i got a positive on the urine test...

I've always had low hcg levels (like, not until 4-6 months in did I get a positive test at the doctor with my other pregnancies) so I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the same? My husband is trying to convince me the baby could still come out perfectly healthy...but I'm just so lost right now. Any advice is appreciated. <3

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Re: Gestational Sac, Yolk Sac, but LOW hcg

• Did they tell you what your levels were?
    2/12: 100 mg Clomid + Bravelle last minute+ back to back IUI. BFN
    3/12 150mg Clomid + B2B IUI =BFP!! TWINS!
    Vanishing twin at week 6
    Tater-tot born January 3rd 2013

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
  • hmonttyhmontty member
    I don't know what yours were, but mine was a 14 at 11 DPO (and doubled from there) with DD. They were also dubious, but the pregnancy was perfectly healthy.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • he said around 6 and pregnancy levels start at 10...but he said to come back for another ultra sound if my period doesn't start, and he brushed me off when I tried to explain about my prior low hcg levels...At what week does the gestational sac form? I'm wondering if maybe I ovulated late and implanted late (I figured I was at 7 weeks) and I could just have lower levels (normal for me though) because I got the date messed up.

I've been crying like a big baby all morning >_<

• eav2ceav2c member

https://www.babymed.com/hcg-level-in-early-pregnancy

I would try and not worry--easier said than done, I know. You could be earlier than you think. Fwiw, I was told that my pregnancy wasn't viable and now I have a gorgeous baby. Sometimes these things just need time. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sounds like you're having a miscarriage. There is no way to have an HCG of 6 with a healthy yolk sac... I bet your levels were higher at one point and are going down now.

How far along are you?

With my last pregnancy, we actually saw the baby & HB, then the next week miscarried and my HCG went down FAST!

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageLochnessHolly:

he said around 6 and pregnancy levels start at 10...but he said to come back for another ultra sound if my period doesn't start, and he brushed me off when I tried to explain about my prior low hcg levels...At what week does the gestational sac form? I'm wondering if maybe I ovulated late and implanted late (I figured I was at 7 weeks) and I could just have lower levels (normal for me though) because I got the date messed up.

I've been crying like a big baby all morning >_<

5 weeks 3 days we saw our yolk sac & cyst, which my RE said that was perfect. I'd call your regular OB, if your numbers double in 48 hrs then it could be ok. I have just never heard of having HCG of 6 and already having a yolk sac... HCG of 6 would be like 10-11dpo pregnancy.. so you'd be like 2-3 wks pregnant.

#rainbows and #unicorns make any situation #cute. keithcorcoran
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imageeav2c:

https://www.babymed.com/hcg-level-in-early-pregnancy

I would try and not worry--easier said than done, I know. You could be earlier than you think. Fwiw, I was told that my pregnancy wasn't viable and now I have a gorgeous baby. Sometimes these things just need time. 

Thanks <3 My husband is going to go out and get those dip strip things and I guess we'll just keep checking...If I keep getting positive tests, maybe it was just a faulty blood test? My mom keeps telling me to calm down, because I guess when I was baby my hcg level started really low (her levels with me and my sister were only at 35 during week 4) so I'm trying to keep calm and just take it easy.

Have my fingers and toes triple crossed.

• I think saying that you're miscarrying is a bit premature.  HCG levels range w/everyone and w/each pregnancy.  It can vary with each pregnancy and each person.  If there is a GS and a YS, that's normal for a less than 6 week pregnancy.  Your levels could be low if you are less than 6 weeks.  What matters is if the levels rise and not fall.  I didn't see an actual fetal pole/HB until around 6 weeks (I do ultrasound, so I scan myself once a week)

Try not to worry just yet and please keep us updated! Best wishes! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Thanks <3 I figure for now maybe the best thing is to just take prenatals and treat myself as pregnant?
  • tngrl3tngrl3 member
    I actually have first hand experience with a case similar to this. There was a patient in the ER where I work last weekend who had positive HPT and was pretty sure she was 6-7 weeks pregnant. Her HCG level came back as 2 though. The doctor in the ER wanted to do a CT scan on her, but she refused unless they did an U/S first because she had all the pregnancy symptoms and positive urine tests. Well U/S showed at baby at 7w2d with a heartbeat in the 150s! So it is possible for things like this to happen. Do you see your OB soon? Hopefully they will be able to do another ultrasound and see baby. How far along do you think you are? Hope this helps and that you go on to have a healthy pregnancy! 
    image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Pregnancy Ticker
  • I thought i was about 7 weeks, but since it was still in the gestational period, I have nooooo idea now haha.

Your post made me feel SO much better, so thank you for sharing. Maybe there's hope for my little one! 

I don't have insurance, so I'm going to try and find an ob this week.

• I don't want to scare you, and I'm not sure where I read this so take it with a grain of salt:

I was told that you needed to have at least an hcg of 1,000 to see the sac during an ultrasound.

If you have already seen the sac, I would think a hcg level of  is extremely low. If this was your first blood draw, I would tell you it's all about doubling.

But since it's not, I would be concerned. That would mean you would have like, JUST implanted and started producing HCG. That number doesn't correlate to seeing a healthy sac days later.

With that being said, my HCG started in the 40's and was told that was low.

2/12: 100 mg Clomid + Bravelle last minute+ back to back IUI. BFN
    3/12 150mg Clomid + B2B IUI =BFP!! TWINS!
    Vanishing twin at week 6
    Tater-tot born January 3rd 2013

2 IUI's in 2016- BFN
    3 IUI's in 2017- BFN
    8/17 IUI BFP!!!!!!!!
  • imageJenniatONU:

I don't want to scare you, and I'm not sure where I read this so take it with a grain of salt:

I was told that you needed to have at least an hcg of 1,000 to see the sac during an ultrasound.

If you have already seen the sac, I would think a hcg level of  is extremely low. If this was your first blood draw, I would tell you it's all about doubling.

But since it's not, I would be concerned. That would mean you would have like, JUST implanted and started producing HCG. That number doesn't correlate to seeing a healthy sac days later.

With that being said, my HCG started in the 40's and was told that was low.

I read that somewhere as well which caused me to freak out quite a bit :(

• I'm having the worst heartburn ever right now, and my breasts feel like they got slammed into a wall or something...
  • Well, my stomach pain got worse last night and my husband ran me back to the emergency room where they did more blood tests.

I went from 6 to 9. Still one point under pregnant.

They still said that I'm most likely miscarrying, but I'll keep you updated. 

• I'm sorry you are going through this.  I have to say I'm extremely confused by the numbers.  Is it possible they were talking about your progesterone levels and not your HCG levels?  As another PP mentioned, generally HCG levels need to be above 1,000 for anything to be visible inside the uterus.  And even if you were miscarrying, at a level of 6 (assuming at one point your levels had been higher and are now decreasing), I would have thought you would have had bleeding by now.  

All of that being said, my progesterone level dropped down to 4 in my last pregnancy and I didn't have any bleeding or spotting and it took my body over a week to even start the miscarriage process after that P level was detected.  So I do know first hand that strange things can happen with numbers that really don't make sense.

Fingers crossed that you are able to get some answers soon! 

ds #1 | our perfect miracle born 39w1d | 12.9.2009 loss #1 | natural m/c 7/2010 (~8w) loss #2 | chemical pregnancy 6/2011 (4w4d) loss #3 | chemical pregnancy 7/2011 (4w3d) loss #4 | natural m/c 11/2011 (10w1d) RPL Testing 12/2011. Results 100% normal. ds #2 | our 2nd perfect miracle born 36w3d | 12.31.2012
  • Figured I'd keep you updated.

My body began the miscarriage process yesterday. <3 thanks for all your advice and prayers, ladies <3 I hope to see you around!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"