Baby Showers

not shower related but party help needed

I know oct is far away,but I have a halloween bash for my kids every year. the venue is popular so I usually book around this time to make sure I have the space. My sister now has a son, and his bday is in Oct. She wants to do a costume party. She asked if we could do the parties together that way we could split the cost of  the rental and everything else. I know this would help her if I split the cost with her. I was trying to figure out how to do the party without her feeling like it's  not my nephews bday party. There will be about 30ppl there that I would invite and she would only have 8-10ppl. How would we word the invites or do we do seperate invites?

Re: not shower related but party help needed

• I honestly think having a combined party is a bad idea. I would feel weird if I showed up to a Halloween party and it was also a bday party for someone I didn't know and would feel obligated to bringing a gift. Just my opinion though.
  • RaeJ004RaeJ004 member

imageGismo123:
    I honestly think having a combined party is a bad idea. I would feel weird if I showed up to a Halloween party and it was also a bday party for someone I didn't know and would feel obligated to bringing a gift. Just my opinion though.

This. Don't combine them. 

BabyFruit Ticker

Georgia 3/15/2012 Matilda 6/12/2014 TWINS!! Babies 3&4 EDD 11/22/2016
  • Loading the player...
  • Agreed with the rest especially since it's just a kid's first birthday - he won't know that it's his party. 

But if you do insist on combining them, you need to mention it on the invites, otherwise, you'd be surprising people and that ain't cool. 

If you HAD to, you could do the birthday part from 2:00 - 3:00, then everything else afterwards.  Just invite your 30 to the 3:00 and on part and the birthday people for the whole time. Just be clear and say "Before the party we'll be celebrating billy bob's 1st birthday!"

• So the 30 you invite don't know her or her son?  Or at least not well enough that they wouldn't normally be invited?  If so - then do seperate invitations.  While you and your sister are splitting the cost, they can still be 2 seperate parties.  And if none of your 30 know about the "combined" party - then a majority of the people will come WITHOUT gifts and they won't be in theposition of feeling like the "only one" who didn't bring something.

But I'll say this- if you combine parties this year, what about next year and the year after, etc?  Is your sister going to expect it to be a regular thing?  You might want to nip that in the bud now.

"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy."
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    DS dx with celiac disease 5/28/10

• imageEastCoastBride:

So the 30 you invite don't know her or her son?  Or at least not well enough that they wouldn't normally be invited?  If so - then do seperate invitations.  While you and your sister are splitting the cost, they can still be 2 seperate parties.  And if none of your 30 know about the "combined" party - then a majority of the people will come WITHOUT gifts and they won't be in theposition of feeling like the "only one" who didn't bring something.

But I'll say this- if you combine parties this year, what about next year and the year after, etc?  Is your sister going to expect it to be a regular thing?  You might want to nip that in the bud now.

I believe in ECB.  On top of that you might find that some of your regular "invites" stop coming in future years if this turns out to be the case.

• imagejeffsjayme:

Agreed with the rest especially since it's just a kid's first birthday - he won't know that it's his party. 

But if you do insist on combining them, you need to mention it on the invites, otherwise, you'd be surprising people and that ain't cool. 

If you HAD to, you could do the birthday part from 2:00 - 3:00, then everything else afterwards.  Just invite your 30 to the 3:00 and on part and the birthday people for the whole time. Just be clear and say "Before the party we'll be celebrating billy bob's 1st birthday!"

I like doing his party first and then letting the other ppl come to my party

• Just be really good at making them seperate.  Take away any birthday decorations, put away gifts before Haloween party people get there.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"