High-Risk Pregnancy

placenta previa - 28 weeks ... kinda long

I had some dark spotting Monday so I called my doc and they sent me to L&D where I found out I have placenta previa and at my follow-up the next day they made me an appt with a specialty doc on Thursday to see if I also had placenta accreta. Tuesday night I had another bleed but this one was bright red and more than spotting but not as significant as a period. So I called my doc and he sent me to L&D. Saw my doc Wednesday morning and he was very concerned about the amount of cramping I was having and also some of my previous issues so he sent me by ambulance to the women's hospital that I was getting the test done... oh and my doc left for EQYPT on Thursday -- another reason he wanted me to be at the women's hospital... so I got there Wed, no placenta accreta (woo-hoo!!!), no more bleeding so they watched me for 72 hours and I came home today on bedrest and pelvic rest...

But my concern is that the cramping is pretty bad still and I'm having some lower back pain which are signs of preterm labor. I'm hoping the back pain is just because I've been siting in a hospital bed for 4 days... but it's all very overwhelming and I'm trying not to freak out. 

Anyone have anything similar?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: placenta previa - 28 weeks ... kinda long

• Hi,

I didn't want to read & run.  I'm very sorry you are going through this, and I don't really know what the cause could be.  Are they monitoring you to see if the placenta is moving at all or what is causing the bleed?  If the pain is still there today, maybe call & see if they recommend you coming in again.  I've had 3 seperate bleeds with this pregnancy, but all quite early on (between 12-16 weeks) with no known cause that they could find.  I've also been diagnosed with complete placenta previa, and also (not diagnosed as of yet) but possible umbilical cord issue (either vasa previa or velamentous cord insertion.

Wish you the best of luck, and sending tons of hugs your way! 

• Phew! on not having placenta accreta and no more bleeding. I too would be concerned about cramping and would keep the on call doctor on speed dial just in case the cramping gets worse or more frequent. Definitely relax and nurture your belly as best as you can. As for my experience, I had placenta previa with my DD. Unfortunately mine was coupled with an incompetent cervix that went from 2cm to 8 cm in 2 hours, so there was nothing the docs could do but to perform an emergency c-section. She was born at 24.5 weeks and is doing just fine now. Trust your gut and the doctors...if you feel something is wrong...don't hesitate.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"