High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

Anybody read the book, "Wheat Belly?"

There is an entire chapter on Diabetes and why you should stay away from wheat products/gluten and, especially gluten free products as well.  Just curious if those with GD have tried to stay away from wheat...
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Anybody read the book, "Wheat Belly?"

• Options

This is one of my favorite topics...I'm a Gary Taubes fan (Why We Get Fat, Good Calories, Bad Calories). I had GD with my 3rd pregnancy and after following that diet while pregnant, I decided to continue and go even lower carb after I weaned at 1 year PP. I've never been so healthy or fit and basically never eat wheat (or any other grains, actually). My 4th pregnancy is almost over (EDD June 25) and I've been low to mod carb throughout with my doc's blessing. Wheat is a major allergen and probably responsible for the aggravation of lots of auto-immune diseases and certainly encourages allergies and inflammation in the body. To say nothing of diabetes and obesity.

This might sound impossible, but I think it's due to the low-carbing/elimination of sugar and grains for over a year now that has caused me NOT to have GD in this pregnancy. I do admit to being a bit of a fanatic. :) I still get a moderate amount of carbs, but they are all from veggies, some fruit, nuts and occasional starchier items like squash and beans.

My three little ones
  • Options
    doxgirldoxgirl member
    imagejcdorsey74:
    There is an entire chapter on Diabetes and why you should stay away from wheat products/gluten and, especially gluten free products as well.  Just curious if those with GD have tried to stay away from wheat...
    I don't understand how you can stay away from gluten and gluten free food. All food is either one or the other. I am gluten free due to having celiac disease. I have had GD with both pregnancies. Avoiding wheat hasn't helped me avoid GD.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"