C-sections

Let's talk about vertical incisions and fibroids (hooray!)

Hello-

I'm a lurker who is due with her first babykins in Late June. I also have an 8 cm. long fibroid that is partially blocking my cervix and my baby is already mesuring at 7 lbs. So, between the big baby and the potentially blocked cervix, I might be having a c-section (unless anything big changes, it will probably be a game day decision, which I appreciate because I would prefer a vaginal birth if possible).

Because of the placement of my fibroid (big, on top of my cervix, anterior and  potentially blocking the "bikini" c-section) I may be looking at the the "classic" c-section (vertical cut between the belly button and pubic hair).

I really appreicate the great advice/lessons learned that folks have shared on this board and I was wondering if anyone else has gone through the "classic" c-section and what their recovery was like. Additionally, if anyone else had a c-section due to fibroids, I would be interested in your experiences and if you have any advice.

Thanks!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Let's talk about vertical incisions and fibroids (hooray!)

• Good luck!!  I had a "bikini" c-section, but my mom gave birth to me via vertical c-section.  I know that she had relayed to me that her recovery was fairly easy, actually.  The first week she took it as easy as possible, then slowly built up her activity level.  By 6ish weeks, she was doing light exercise, and for my whole life, you could only ever tell she had given birth by her scar. 
  • I had an emergency csection almost 11 years ago and the hospital I was at still did the vertical incision for an emergency.  Recovery wasn't bad at all, honestly.  I took it easy for a week or two, and the first couple of days in the hospital hurt to get up and move around, but I didn't need anything more than Motrin for recovery and I really didn't think it was that bad at all.  

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks, ladies! I had been told that it was more obtrusive but it sounds like your (your mom's) experiences were no worse than a typical c-section. Which is good news for me.
  • Hi, Quinncat-

Thank you for sharing your story. I am trying to remain very open to whatever medical interventions may or may not be required. It helps to hear your story about how they let your labor (induced, even!) before making the final call about a c-section. This sounds a lot like what my doctors have told me about the decisions they're making about me and my baby. It also sounds like you ran into one of the complications they have warned me about (the fibroid itself blocking the baby).

I hope that you and your baby are doing well and that the fibroids aren't giving you any trouble!

• I had a vertical incision--it was my first c/s so I have nothing to compare it to, but for me, it really wasn't that bad at all.

My recovery went much better than I expected. I was up and walking around after about seven hours. I never rated my pain above a four, and I was off of prescription pain meds by the time I was discharged (I was in the hospital for a total of about 60 hours). The nurses said I have a high tolerance for pain, so I don't know if this is a typical experience or not. 

• Hi, Hannah-

Thanks for responding!

I attended the labor and delivery class at the hospital where we hope to deliver. At that class, the emphasized that the staff encourage women to get up and get around during recovery, even with a c-section. From what I've read about c-sections, it is important to get up and keep moving if at all possible.

I don't think I have a very high threshold for pain but it is encouraging to know that yours was so manageable. For whatever reason, the classic c-section seems more intimidating because (I think) cut through thicker tissues. However, from the replies I've read seem to indicate that the recovery isn't so different from the bikini c-section.

Also, to the poster above, I'll reply to this thread after the baby comes to let everyone know how it goes (if you are at all interested).

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"