Preemies

Mommas to 27 weekers: Come in :)

Hey everyone, I've never really posted my birth story of my twins on this board but my twins, Londyn Rae and Zayden James, were born at 27w3d due to unexplained reasons. They were in the NICU for 78 days. My son, Zayden, was born at 2lb 7oz and my daughter, Londyn, was born at 2lb 2oz. They had breathing issues like any other preemie at that age and had 2 blood transfusions each during their stay but that was the extend of it thankfully.

They are now 9 months old (6 adjusted) and are doing wonderfully. I am just checking in with other mothers that gave birth to 27 weekers. My twins are not crawling yet and are not sitting up on their own. They definitely are trying hard to though! They both have great head control. Just seeing what to expect within these next few months for those of you that have been in my position before!!

Thanks.

Re: Mommas to 27 weekers: Come in :)

• Hello! My twins are about the same age as yours and were born at 27wk5d. :)

Avery was born at 2 lb 4 oz and was in the NICU for 70 days. She had 2 blood transfusions and was intubated for probably the first 3-4 weeks. She is doing amazingly well now. She is constantly on the go crawling around. She doesn't fully sit up on her own yet...she can last a for a little while before tumbling over. She is babbling non-stop and just started saying "da-da". She even got her first 2 teeth recently.

Ethan,  on the other hand, had a lot more complications. Ethan was a little smaller at 2 lbs 2 oz. He had 4 blood transfusions, a PDA ligation and then they could not get him off the vent so he ended up getting a Trach. Unfortunately, when he was about 3 1/2 months old, he went into cardiac arrest and was deprived of oxygen for 30 minutes. We are so lucky he survived, but it definitely caused a lot more setbacks and issues to deal with. He suffered burns from a medicine used to restart his heart during the cardiac arrest, so he had to get a skin graft surgery. He also lost some of his suck/swallow coordination so he ended up getting a G-tube. He was in the NICU and then transferred to a rehabilitation hospital. He just came home about a month ago after 250 days in the hospital. He has made so much progress, but he still has a long way to go. He still has his trach and is on a small amount of oxygen at home, but is off the vent. He doesn't bend his legs and has spasticity and developmental delays. However, since he came home he started rolling over and is continuing to progress which is all we can ask for after everything he has been through.

I am happy to hear your twins are doing so well! I am sure they will be crawling and sitting up in no time :)

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • mrsV719mrsV719 member

I had a 28 weeker born 2lbs 2oz. He was a slow gross motor developer until one day it clicked! He was sitting on his own with some wobbles around 9m/6m... but then he didn't roll over or crawl until closer to 11m/8m. But literally, as soon as he rolled over, he was crawling the next week. Then 2 weeks later he was pulling to stand. Now, around 4 months after he first learned to roll over, he is starting to walk. 

Every baby develops differently at different rates.

Does your LO get seen by EI? That was a huge change for us. Getting PT once a week through EI was groundbreaking for Ty.  

• Loading the player...
  • Hi,

my 27 weekers didn't start to sit up until 7 months (daughter) & 8 months (son)  adjusted.  My son only just learned to crawl (11 months adjusted).  My daughter learned to crawl pretty quickly after sitting up at about 9 months adjusted.  Due to some hypotonia concerns we've been taking our son to PT every week and I think that really helped him finally learn to push himself up and crawl.

Mom to three beautiful preemies:

Lily born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 4 oz.
    Max born at 27 wks: 2 lbs 2 oz.
    Glenn born at 31 wks: 3 lbs 9 oz.

My twin's birth story
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"